HUNGRY!!

Options
Lib_B
Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
Usually, my 1500 cals is enough to keep me satisfied, but today I am so hungry. And not bored, stress eating hungry. Stomach rumbling hungry. I had my usual breakfast of protein shake and lunch of pb&j, cottage cheese and an orange - which usually keeps me happy until dinner. But my stomach is still rumbling. I only keep enough food for each day on hand, otherwise the little monkeys (my co-workers) will eat whatever isn't tied down.

What do you do to get past that feeling of insatiability? I'm drinking my water - 3 liters down already today. Nothing is helping. Also, I'd like to note that I pre-plan all of my dinners because I work full-time and have 2 kids. The bulk of my calories are usually at dinner because I like to make things my entire family will eat without having to make a separate dinner for me. So today, I have about 5 calories left, if you include my dinner in my count and there isn't a lot of wiggle room there -- that's a pretty 'typical' day. What helps you in this situation? Besides just ignoring the growling... :grumble:

Replies

• cranberrycat
    cranberrycat Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It happens on occasion for me, as well. Seemingly nothing that I eat helps. Sometimes, it makes a difference if I drink a cold beverage or a hot beverage, so if you were drinking lots of cold water, try a cup of hot tea.

If you can take a break and go for a walk, I have found that sometimes a little extra physical activity will settle things down, or at least distract me from how I am feeling.
  • leighann881
    leighann881 Posts: 371
    Options
    Try eating at maintenance calories for today and goin. Back to deficit tomorrow.
  • dirtbikegirl5
    dirtbikegirl5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Sometimes we are just hungry. It sounds likes you have the proteins in and that is what usually keeps us full. I am sure your dinner will be more than 5 calories, so if water and gum chewing won't help, maybe have some more cottage cheese or a protein bar.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :drinker: I was/am Bored Hungry so Not the same thing. BUT, eating 2 Servings of Steamed Vegetables (Green Giant Healthy Weight Blend) and an Apple took care of it. Now I am going tyo get OUT of the House and AVOID Food altogether for a few hours.
    :flowerforyou: Good Luck!!
  • 88meli88
    88meli88 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    i hear you.

1. add a nutritious snack like half an avocado 160 or so and go over by that much
    2. drink green tea

in general, i find that more balanced distribution of calories throughout the day helps. i hear you about dinner but my family eats what i eat, different portions, and i usually skip the rice/pasta/potato side dish and stick to lean protein and veggies.
  • MellyGibson
    MellyGibson Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Both myself and another weight lifter friend of mine are seriously hungry today, too!

Maybe it has something to do with the Spring Equinox? LMAO!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    A maintenance calorie (or higher) day once a week give or take.
  • JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I have days like that... sometimes I drink a mug of coffee... that helps get me by....
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Try eating at maintenance calories for today and goin. Back to deficit tomorrow.

I've found this works really well. Sometimes it can even boost my weight loss.
  • nhouse3417
    nhouse3417 Posts: 105
    Options
    I have noticed around that "time of month" that I can not get enough to eat...
  • Lib_B
    Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the great suggestions! I guess I won't sweat going over a little. I am a reformed 1000 - 1200 calorie a day person. I just got tired of being hungry all the time. so going to 1500 was HUGE for me - you can imagine that going over 1500 feels like a complete failure. but that's my mental stuff I need to work on.

i will let you know that I DID have one piece of bread and some peanut butter here, so I opted for that and it seemed to help. it took some willpower too because a woman I work with asked if I wanted anything from the local Gyro shop. Glad I passed and opted for the PB. better to go over a little than by a lot.

also, to the poster who commented on the 5 calories remaining - that is after dinner. i already entered my menu for tonight.

thanks again!