unknowledgeable when it comes to dieting

Replies

• GrnEyes839
    GrnEyes839 Posts: 74 Member
    I think the biggest thing to remember is you're you...not like everyone else. Your body is yours, so all of the advice in the world will be just that.. advice. Learn what makes YOU full, what makes YOU feel satisfied. Experiment. Try new things. If you hate it, it will be a chore. If you make small steps in the right direction you'll thank yourself for it later. If you're going to be embarrassed to write it, don't bite it. Journal everything, and above all else, love yourself in the process no matter what that ridiculous scale says...
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    The first mistake you are making is "dieting". A diet is a temporary way of eating until you reach a certain goal. The problem is once you stop the diet, you lose your goal. Make lifestyle changes: eat reasonable portions of healthy, whole foods that you prepare yourself. Allow for occasional treats. If you eat well, MOST of the time, then there is no reason to fear celebrations, holidays or even an occasional dessert just for fun.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Trying to figure out what to eat can be really hard. When I first started out, I cooked a lot of Mediterranean food because I knew it was generally good for you. Lots of lean protein (chicken and fish), healthy fats (olive oil and nuts), and complex carbs (brown rice, whole grains, veggies). I got comfortable with cooking. I learned about portion sizes. I learned how much one tbsp of olive oil was, how much 4 oz of chicken was, how much a cup of rice was, how much it took to satisfy me, and how that relates to my caloric needs. Once I had that foundation in place, I started exploring and experimenting with other cuisines. I did more research about nutrition. I added back in foods I had cut out of my diet because I had misconceptions about them - for example, I thought beef was bad because it was higher-cal than chicken and had saturated fat (<- not actually evil!), but it's just about eating a reasonable portion of it and fitting it in your calories.

Mediterranean recipes are generally good - they're easy to find online. Sites like eatingwell.com and skinnytaste.com are good resources for lower-cal, filling meals as well. Find a place to start and go with it =)

ETA: About protein: protein powder is great if you're having a hard time getting enough protein in your day. I wouldn't hit my protein macro if I didn't use it, and protein is really important when you're in a deficit because it helps you retain muscle (you only want to lose fat!). You don't need it, but it's an option if you want it. If you get one, look for one that's mostly protein and low-carb.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Can we have alike button for Crystalflame's post please?
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Are the foods you're cooking unhealthy or is your method of cooking unhealthy?
  • mdcoug
    mdcoug Posts: 397 Member
    Here are some quick, very general tips to help with your grocery shopping:

1. Shop the perimeter of the store: produce, meat, dairy, etc. Most of what you need will be there.
    2. Eat whole grains instead of refined. Example: Brown rice instead of white rice; whole wheat bread instead of white bread; whole grain pasta instead of regular pasta.
    3. Read the labels closely! For example, don't be tricked by "multi-grain." It's not the same as "whole-grain."
    4. Fill your plate with 1/2 veggie, 1/4 protein, 1/4 carbs. (it's better to identify specific % targets, but this is a good starting point for managing your portions)
    5. Start using MFP to log your food and see how different choices give you different results.
    6. Go grocery shopping with a list

Eventually you'll want to start looking into some of the other tools out there to help you decide what's right for you, but if you just start trying to use whole foods instead of the processed foods, you'll be better prepared to absorb all the other information.

The easiest thing for me to do for our family is some sort of marinated meat on the grill, pasta and salad, like this:

Greek Chicken breasts: http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2012/04/greek-marinade-for-grilled-chicken/
    Basic salad with green leaf lettuce (romain, spring mix, spinach, etc. are better than iceberg), throw in whatever veggies you and your family like
    Spaghetti Noodles tossed with olive oil, parmesan and sliced olives
    Add a nice glass of milk and I have a well-rounded meal.

Just switch out marinade, protein, veggie and starch for more variety.

One last thing and I'll shut up: I (try) to write out a menu each weekend and then write my shopping list, based on what's on sale at the grocery store. I'll go shopping on Sunday WITH THE LIST (and my reusable bags, I always forget those darn bags), so I'm not trying to decide in the store what I'm doing for meals.

HTH!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,319 Member

Don't choose Sedentary unless you actually sit all day. If you have any kind of job, go to school or care for children at home, choose another activity level.

Sedentary doesn't mean lays around like a sloth all day, it means someone with a desk job or going to school who doesn't spend the day doing physical labor. If you are on your feet all day at your job like a teacher or salesperson you would be lightly active. You track your exercise separately so that doesn't factor in to your activity level.

Mokey, you've argued that point before when I say that. If you actually figure out your needs, the Sedentary setting here on this site is still too low in my opinion. That is the one flaw I find with the calculator here. Well, that, and the fact it lets people eat below their BMR when they choose "Lose 2 pounds a week" even if they only have 30 pounds to lose. I will continue to say this, and you can continue to argue - but I stand my ground.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member

I don't think it's a good idea to post these links for a beginner, convoluting them with more numbers and ratios and math... can be demotivating and make them feel like a failure i they can't stick to a "specific" ratio...

You may want to click in the links - the first link does not say to stick to a specific ratio.

OP: keep it simple. Eat what you would normally eat, just portion control it. Look at what you are eating and swap things out where necessary to give you a better 'food bang for your buck'. You do not need protein powder unless you are falling short of your protein goal with your food - it is just to supplement it if you need it.
  • Sarauk2sf

Don't choose Sedentary unless you actually sit all day. If you have any kind of job, go to school or care for children at home, choose another activity level.

Sedentary doesn't mean lays around like a sloth all day, it means someone with a desk job or going to school who doesn't spend the day doing physical labor. If you are on your feet all day at your job like a teacher or salesperson you would be lightly active. You track your exercise separately so that doesn't factor in to your activity level.

Mokey, you've argued that point before when I say that. If you actually figure out your needs, the Sedentary setting here on this site is still too low in my opinion. That is the one flaw I find with the calculator here. Well, that, and the fact it lets people eat below their BMR when they choose "Lose 2 pounds a week" even if they only have 30 pounds to lose. I will continue to say this, and you can continue to argue - but I stand my ground.

I also found that sedentary =/= desk job. Sedentary is really sedentary, as in pretty much housebound. I have a desk job and outside of the gym very inactive and based on my results, I was higher than lightly active.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member

I also believe the sedentary setting is too low - it seems to be for bedbound people.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member

I don't think it's a good idea to post these links for a beginner, convoluting them with more numbers and ratios and math... can be demotivating and make them feel like a failure i they can't stick to a "specific" ratio...

Just because someone is a beginner, doesn't mean they won't be able to understand the logic of those threads.

As they explain many of the acronyms, (TDEE, BMR etc) they are actually helpful to new members rather than confusing.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    I'd suggest starting by talking to your doctor to be sure there's nothing medical going on, rule out High BP, diabetes, etc and if that all comes out clean, maybe make an appt with a nutritionist. I did great my first year using MFP and following a diabetic diet, but when I stalled, a nutritonist really helped me focus in on area's I had not thought about. Adding Fiber, leveling the carbs I eat thru out the day vs loading them in one meal, etc.

Reading is very helpful, posts are very helpful, but we are all different and have to know what works best for our body, our lifestyle, our mindset. It is still only us who can fix it for ourselves....... Good luck!
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Hi all! The one thing that always stops me from continuing to try and lose weight is dieting. I have no idea what I'm looking for when I shop and I wind up buying a ton of lean cuisines that leave me hungry. This in turn makes me give in and eat more which then leads to eating bad foods. Any tips? Also, I don't know anything about protein supplements. It seems like these are more for people who are already fit and looking to bulk up. Am I correct in this assumption or should I, as an overweight woman, be looking into protein as well. Thanks in advance!

Then stop trying to diet and make the healthy life style change. Healthy food does not come in a box or the frozen section. Takes all the guess work out of it for you doesn't it. Making your own food and watching portions, lots of fruits and veggies. No fast food. That's how it's done. The real trick is recipes.
  • krissielynn87
    krissielynn87 Posts: 214 Member
    Hi all! The one thing that always stops me from continuing to try and lose weight is dieting. I have no idea what I'm looking for when I shop and I wind up buying a ton of lean cuisines that leave me hungry. This in turn makes me give in and eat more which then leads to eating bad foods. Any tips? Also, I don't know anything about protein supplements. It seems like these are more for people who are already fit and looking to bulk up. Am I correct in this assumption or should I, as an overweight woman, be looking into protein as well. Thanks in advance!

Then stop trying to diet and make the healthy life style change. Healthy food does not come in a box or the frozen section. Takes all the guess work out of it for you doesn't it. Making your own food and watching portions, lots of fruits and veggies. No fast food. That's how it's done. The real trick is recipes.

^^this. I admit, I eat frozen foods, but I'm trying to get rid of those.
  • Sarauk2sf

You may want to click in the links - the first link does not say to stick to a specific ratio.

OP: keep it simple. Eat what you would normally eat, just portion control it. Look at what you are eating and swap things out where necessary to give you a better 'food bang for your buck'. You do not need protein powder unless you are falling short of your protein goal with your food - it is just to supplement it if you need it.

You are making recommendations in your link, of how much protein and fat. You don't consider that to be specific ratios?

Not at all. If you read it as I suggested before, there is no recommendation to stick to a fixed macro %, unlike the link to your one.
  • Sarauk2sf

You are making recommendations in your link, of how much protein and fat. You don't consider that to be specific ratios?

Not at all. If you read it as I suggested before, there is no recommendation to stick to a fixed macro %, unlike the link to your one.

There is no specific recommendations because you want the user to fill it in. You want them to come up with their own ratios based on what you said. Which would make the process even more complex.

In one section you even say in big bold letters. "Setting your macro targets" You want them to fill it in based on the cookie cutter template of 1g of protein per lbm and .35-.40g of fat pr lbs fill the rest in with carbs.

There is no specific recommendation for percentages as I do not think that it should be based on percentages, and based on what you are saying, neither do you.

The complicated math that you refer to is multiplying one number by another.
  • Sarauk2sf

There is no specific recommendations because you want the user to fill it in. You want them to come up with their own ratios based on what you said. Which would make the process even more complex.

In one section you even say in big bold letters. "Setting your macro targets" You want them to fill it in based on the cookie cutter template of 1g of protein per lbm and .35-.40g of fat pr lbs fill the rest in with carbs.

I am asking you about yours. You mentioned about it being demotivating to try to hit ratios..lets keep to the point at hand.

So, this new and improved release will address the math of multiplying one number by another?

I said it can be demotivating to be hitting macro ratios for a beginner. I mentioned above myself or other experienced members have no problems with macros.

It's an excel sheet, it does all the calculations for you. Just enter your weight, body fat, and TDEE it does the rest. Sets your protein goals based on activity level, and separates the difference in men and women bodyfat levels.

Yes, I know you said that, which is why I am asking the question.

So, my understanding is that you will be providing a spreadsheet in the IPOARM thread (that you mention on another thread) that someone can plug some data in and it will spit out some macros? So, this will alleviate the concerns you had when you told people to ignore a link to a thread you were a contributor of - the concern that it can be demotivating to a new dieter to hit macros?. So back to my question (on the other thread) - are you going to now not tell people to ignore the link to IPOARM because of this spreadsheet? Just trying to understand where you are coming from with regard to a thread you were a contributor to.

ETA: I am not knocking having a spreadsheet for people to use - I think it a good idea
  • Sarauk2sf
    Yes, I know you said that, which is why I am asking the question.

So, my understanding is that you will be providing a spreadsheet in the IPOARM thread (that you mention on another thread) that someone can plug some data in and it will spit out some macros? So, this will alleviate the concerns you had when you told people to ignore a link to a thread you were a contributor of - the concern that it can be demotivating to a new dieter to hit macros?. So back to my question (on the other thread) - are you going to now not tell people to ignore the link to IPOARM because of this spreadsheet? Just trying to understand where you are coming from with regard to a thread you were a contributor to.

ETA: I am not knocking having a spreadsheet for people to use - I think it a good idea

I don't think I am fully understanding you.

1. Yes it will spit out the macros...
    2. Alleviate concern. Partially. It will not alleviate the concern of people getting emo because they can't hit their macros. It will allevate the concern of the math behind it. We where all beginners, we had to learn how man cals are in a protein, fat, carbs, what TDEE is, what grams are, weighin this food(or whatever measurement you use). It can be very tedious for a beginner. If you enter your stats and it says "eat this much" it gets rid of all the conversions and equations needed to figure it all out.
    3. I will not tell people to ignore IPOARM. This spreadsheet will be in the new version of IPOARM. So it's not goig to be a seperate sticky or whatever, it's part of the actual program.
    4. If someone came to me saying "I can't stick to the ratios in IPOARM" I would tell them, "well don't..."

I got very in detail when i wrote on calclulating macros, i also used the cookie cutter template, the difference between you and me is i picked .40 * bodyweight for fat intake.

Not asking you to read it,ha just pass your eyes through it, you will just see the numbers, formulas. Just showing you what i am trying to avoid, it's just too much for new people. The spread sheet will do these calculations and better(as I said different % for men and women, and protein intake based on activity)

Taking out the calcs as the quote will be very long.

So, the math is really the thing you had a concern with more than anything which is why you are now comfortable recommending IPOARM with the spreadsheet when you were not before. Got it, thanks for clarifying.

I do agree that the spreadsheet is useful - it uses the same 'cookie cutter' assumptions that you mentioned you did not like - but it is definitely more user friendly than going through the words to do the calculations.
  • leotardbanshee
    leotardbanshee Posts: 92 Member
    eat as many fruits and vegetables as you can, all day every day, then you won't have any room for the bad stuff :)