New (again) with new health issues, scared and lost

Options
RedsknU2
RedsknU2 Posts: 63 Member
I am not a total "newbie" but I am new "again". Last time with the help of some motivating friends on here, and Nutrisystem I lost about 35 of my 100 pounds. However since that time my Mom has passed away, my companion cat passed away a month later and my motivation left me. I had hired a personal trainer who did EVERYTHING to hang through it all with me and I left him high and dry. I had an ankle injury in November and now have been diagnosed with severe oestoarthritis in my knee and a degenitive meniscus. The Ortho and my Doc have both told me to lose weight - or lose my health. I have tried Medifast, Nutrisystem, Mona-Vie "Miracle Juice" and had no to moderate success but generally revert to my old habits. I travel extensively for work and have a "grab and go" lifestyle that most dieticians I have spoke to can not accomadate. I typically have zero access to refrigeration or cooking. I can not haul a cooler as I barely haul what I need for work. I am frustrated, hurting and hopeless but here to try again. Looking for some new friends to help me on my journey

I turn 50 this November and would like to lose half of my 100 (or more) by that date. 50 by 50 so to speak. With a hurt knee and a busted ankle and a sore motivation - is there hope I can get there? I know I should just "pick myself up" but I think I am having a hard time with it.

Looking forward to some new friends.

Replies

• retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    You can do it because it sounds like you're ready to put the old obstacles behind you. That's big. I'm sure there are some on MFP that travel for work and can give you suggestions besides concentrating on fresh fruit (that can be portable), nuts, etc. But taking off some weight will help your ankle/knees tremendously. I've got issues with pins in my ankle and other things and as long as I modify my exercise to avoid injury, I can do many exercises that benefit me.

The main thing is to just begin. Take that first step, do what you can, make some changes toward a healthy lifestyle so you can greet your 50's with a "new attitude"! Take it from a 63 year old...it's not too late! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • morpots
    morpots Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi. I'm new to mfp and serious dieting. I need to lose 40-60 pounds, or so they say at Sparrow Weight Management Clinic. I think 60-80 would be more like it, but losing anything at this point would be good.
    Though I don't have the issues that you've been dealing with, I think mutual support is what's needed. I think you are very brave to keep trying to lose weight.. Keep it up, and know that you are not alone!!!
  • nannyal
    nannyal Posts: 50
    Options
    Just wanted to say sorry to hear of the loss of your mum and pet. How awful this time is for you and you probably eat too much for comfort. You can do it and you will do it, believe that. God bless you. You can friend me if you like and i will give you as much support and motivation as i can. :flowerforyou:
  • Pamela_June
    Pamela_June Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I so know what you mean - when my Mom passed - I totally lost it....I was at my goal weight when she died....then I just let life ge to me too.... and I lost my Shi Zu of 18 years about a year after my mom....so really I totaly understand.

But this is the right place for support and direction - glad to have you with us!!

:smile:
  • aseymour13
    aseymour13 Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    One day and one step at a time. As I say (often a lot) - this is a Marathon, not a sprint. I just turned 57, had hip replacement surgery a year ago, I lost both of my parents some years ago (I was in my 20's when my Mom passed). My Dad would have been 90 on March 15th. The good news We're all here with the same focus and goals. and all have a wide variety of experiences, ideas, ups and downs but we all keep going. Glad you're here!!! :flowerforyou:
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm new again too :wink: I'm on a medically supervised weight loss program through the University of Pennsylvania Health System's affiliation with HMR. I'm sure there are other medical programs out there that use HMR products. HMR products are delicious. I don't mean to sound like an advertisement for them but I just completed my 5th day on the program and feel great. Check out http://http://www.hmrprogram.com/. I think you might find something there. However, do this in conjunction with doctors, nutritionists, and healthcare experts. I never would have attempted this without such guidance and Penn Health is wonderful.
  • DonnaNCgirl
    DonnaNCgirl Posts: 372
    Options
    I am in your age range and lost 94 lbs. without a personal trainer or anybody else telling me what to do. I followed a plan that worked for me. I decreased calorie consumption dramatically and increased physical activity substantially. You have to do this for yourself. Sounds like you need to. You WILL feel better and look better if you do. Make sure you're doing it for yourself so you are less likely to fall into the old bad habits.

Feel free to friend me if you like.
  • reeserox
    reeserox Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit younger, but I totally understand you with the medical issues. You've been through a lot but just believe that you can do it and try and keep positive.

= )
  • bkknauer
    bkknauer Posts: 28
    Options
    Im sorry for your losses and challenges. One suggestion I have is to think about switching to protein bars or shakes for some of your meals. I eat them as one or two of my meals daily and they are healthy , yummy and portable. Be careful though they are not all created equal. If you want suggestions i can help and Im sure many people on here can too. Exercise wise If you are out of a cast I would look at water classes very good for people with your challanges.
  • tjs616
    tjs616 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Is there hope? That depends entirely on you! Your "sore motivation" is your biggest challenge. There is plenty of grab and go food available that isn't terrible for you. The worst part is the sodium and you can combat that with some water. I have bad osteoarthritis in my knee too and while I can't do all the things I'd like to be doing I can still swim, bike, walk, hike, elliptical, etc. Maintain your focus and go after your goals, you can absolutely get there!
  • mhc90
    mhc90 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you have reached out and joined here! You can do this!

I have been yo-yo dieting for about 15 years and I just end up heavier than I was when I started. About a week ago, I bought the book The Skinny Rules by Trainer Bob on the Biggest Loser. It has been a really good start. I have failed Weight Watchers, South Beach, Nutri System, and just counting calories. This book outlines what you need to be eating and what you need to watch out for.

I am 45 and hoping to lose 40 pounds before the end of the year. A piece of advice that he gives that really hit home was that what I was doing wasn't working so I need to completely change my habits. Small things like only eating at the table or eating an apple every day.

I really believe I will feel freer when I lose this weight. Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!

Good luck!
  • jackibees
    Options
    I eat out a lot more frequently than I should and I have found that you can eat healthy with the grab and go lifestyle when you gain the self-discipline to make better choices. It sounds like you're really motivated and have the will power to do this, so instead of grabbing a burger or other convenient but unhealthy fast food, maybe you could try grabbing a burrito bowl at chipotle (i eat a veggie bowl with double black beans, brown rice, cheese, and guacamole - it's very filling and only 700 calories) or some other healthier option. I also really like the beef and broccoli with a half order of rice at panda express. The protein bar, shake replacement plan is a great idea too for some meals. Maybe a very low impact exercise like a leisurely walk three times a week, might be a good way for you to get started with your exercise program without putting too much stress on yourself. Good luck in your weight loss journey and I am here for you if you ever need any support!
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You can so do this! Our biggest obstacles are ourselves. With a little creativity and alot of dedication you can totally do this. And it's going to feel fabulous!
  • CristyMusicLovr
    CristyMusicLovr Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I too, have osteoarthritis, but it is in my hips. I recently (9weeks ago) had to have a total hip replacement. Yes, I lost motivation as well but it is slowly creeping back up. If I can do it, so can you!
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm of the opinion that you don't have to drag around a cooler to lose weight. You've heard of Jared from Subway right? (This was said facetiously. I don't want the Jared haters coming after me). My point is you can make healthy choices when you eat out.

A lot of restaurants have light menu choices. Or, if you have time, get on their website and find out nutritional values of their items so you can make informed decisions.

You can pack granola bars or protein bars in your car for a quick snack. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Park at the far end of the lot so you have to walk farther to your destination.

Small things like this add up and will help a lot.

Good luck!!!
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Just want to echo support and sympathy for your losses. You CAN do it! Like others have said, set small, realistic goals and be proud of yourself for achieving each one. Success will spiral into more success. Eating without cooking is certainly challenging, and I'm not an expert in that area, but I think that there are many people on MFP who will happily help you. I will tell you a few of my portable healthy foods: Go-Lean Crunch cereal, whole unsalted almonds, bananas (1/2 at a time), oatmeal (if you have access to a microwave, it can be done), and pretzel slims. I would also suggest drinking TONS of water...it is an easy thing you can do, and it really helped my weight loss. Don't give up on yourself...you are worth it!

READ THIS ON MFP YESTERDAY: "It's hard to eat healthily. It's hard to exercise. It's hard to be overweight. Choose your hard." Good luck, and feel free to friend me if you need to.
  • ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I'm back today after a long hiatus and some weight gain too. You can do this. I think we fall off the wagon when we're trying to use willpower to fight habits (or if they're deep enough, our nature) -- we make progress when it's not about willpower anymore, but when the desire to be healthier is more important than anything else.

I'll say that again: We make the change when being healthy is more important than anything else.

More important than working late, or sleeping an extra hour, or a second glass of wine or a cookie. It has to be the most important thing. Until it is, we'll constantly battle what we want vs. what we know we should do. Me personally, what I want usually wins.

It sounds like you're ready to make healthy the most important thing and I know you can do it. I think successful travel eating requires a mix of bringing food and making good choices on the road. Small-snacky things that work for me are Clover single-serve boxed milk (no refrigeration needed) and a ziplock of protein powder; almonds; oatmeal packets (I use hot water or tea from the breakfast bar); and Pure Protein bars. It's not enough to cover all the meals but it helps. Plus if I bring it, I'll eat it so I don't feel like an idiot packing it back home with me.

Exercise on the road is hard for me. If I have a hotel room I'll bring a band and work out alone in my room in my underwear to avoid having to pack workout clothes in my carry-on. If I don't have a hotel, I'll bring a pair of sporty-dressy shoes (not sneakers) and a change of shirt, and use a break to run up the stairs a couple times.

Some other options for road food, depending on your diet choices, are Starbucks oatmeal (skip the fruit and sugar); most of the soups at any lunch place; salads obviously but go for oil and vinegar instead of ranch, "lite" dressings, etc.; turkey jerky if you can handle the sodium; popcorn instead of chips. I actually prefer to do fast food over nicer restaurants when I'm on the road because they have to post nutritional information.

Obviously I haven't been following my own advice or I wouldn't have gained 8 lbs over the last 3 months. :)

Good luck and welcome back!!! This is your year lady.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    At least you're willing to try again--good for you!