Wanna get killer quads? Not for beginners.

imagymrat
imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I used to think that you would break down muscle with high rep workouts, but when you add them periodically this technique gets your legs past plateaus and forces them to grow. The trick to this muscle building and strength exercise is to add this to your workout only on occasion, not something you want to do with every leg workout. It's intense, very high repetitions are used and not like 15-20 we're talking 50 here!! Total leg burnout baby!! not for the faint of heart, make sure you have a good solid breakfast though, you'll need the energy to bang these out. If later in the day a good pre workout meal. Start with squats on the Smith machine (the Smith is my absolute fav piece of gym equipment) or keep the weight light on the free weight rack. You're going to be doing 50 reps, so think about how heavy you can realistically go and still be sucessful. I'd start the men at 45lb plates a side, women at 25lbs. You can always go up on the next set, if need be. There is no rest allowed during the whole set. Perform two sets of 50 reps I wear a weight belt so that I don't cramp up. Next is Hack squats, same weight..in case you don't know what a hack squat is...Position barbell just behind legs. With feet flat on floor, squat down and grasp barbell from behind with overhand grip. Lift bar by extending hips and knees to full extension. Bend knees forward slightly while allowing hips to bend back behind, keeping back straight and knees pointed same direction as feet. Descend until thighs are close to parallel to floor and bar is behind lower leg. Again we're doing two sets of 50. Onto the leg press, 4-45lb plates minmum for the men, and 2-45lbs minimum for the women. Again two sets of 50. Next is sissy squat ***these are difficult**** done wrong you'll hurt yourself..here's how they go, for those unfamiliar, they are a great add in to your leg workout..With shoulder width stance grasp bar or support at hip level with one arm and secure plate across chest with other arm. With hips and waist straight bend knees to allow body to fall backwards as knees come forward. Allow heels to raise from floor. Lower body until knees are almost fully flexed or near floor. Return to original position by extending knees as heels return to floor. Keep waist and hips straight throughout exercise. Knees should point same direction as feet throughout movement. You may have gym apparatus that will make this one easier to perform, Use 25lb plate for women 45lb plate for men, 2 sets of 50 reps, if you choose not to do the sissy squat,add one additional setto each the hack and smith machine. Finally you will end with quad extensions, for you guessed it 2 sets of 50 reps. Make sure to keep this weight moderate, not too light, but not too heavy, for men, btw 80-110lbs, or to comfort, and women from 50-80lbs. In total you will have done an incredible 500 reps. By adding this workout occasionally to your routine you'll soon have stellar quads!

Replies

• mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    You scare me lol :tongue: And I thought P90x was hard
  • imagymrat
    You scare me lol :tongue: And I thought P90x was hard

HAHAHA! you made me smile! I was having a bad day today! This workout is as bad as it seems, lol, I wish I could lie! I've seen women get really great results, we tend to store our fat in our thighs, bum, and legs, it's critical to challenge our legs, and more then anything the intensity, you need to go heavy, your legs can handle weight,( provided of course you can), , or you won't get those gams that look hot in shorts! We want our legs to be a "NO RIPPLE" zone!:laugh: and to think this was only for your quads...lol!:tongue:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    I always enjoy your workout suggestions even if I feel like they're going to kill me lol! :laugh: Keep 'em coming! :bigsmile:
  • lreed
    lreed Posts: 348 Member
    Imagymrat, I love your posts and while they are not all for me (too advanced) I certainly appreciate the time and thought you put into helping others. I think you ROCK!! And to any naysayers out there, don't click on her posts, personally I am always stoked to see her posts! Don't ruin it for the rest of us.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    are there any videos available for these exercises? or could you post some on youtube or something? they sound awesome but I want to make sure I'm doing them right...
  • imagymrat
    i'll see what I can find for you, if you have a gym membership, make sure you use the staff available. It's their job to show you how to work the machines and how to maintain proper form as well.
  • Ryhenblue
    Ryhenblue Posts: 390 Member
    This sounds like a killer leg workout. I'm saving this for later(much later, when I'm in shape). Always good to have something new to try when looking for a change.
This discussion has been closed.