Training for 5k

Options
2»

Replies

• deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to tell you that if you push through that 10 minutes of hell, it gets easier the longer you run. Eventually you hit a place where it feels really good and you don't need to stop. To find it in the c25k plan, I ran for as long as I could and then went 3-5 minutes with 1 minute of walking in between. I did this somewhere around week 5 or 6 and it really helped me to figure out how longit takes to get to that sweet spot. Happy running!

I am going to keep at it for sure but wow it's painful!
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    Go get fitted for proper running shoes. I bought a pair of asics from a random store when I first started running and I had shin splints and leg pain really bad. Then my sister took me to a running store and they fitted me for running shoes. The ones they recommended were asics as well. But it made a world of difference my legs felt great after I got proper shoes.

This totally. I was wearing a too small of shoe and I was getting bad shin splints. When you get fitted dont feel obligated to buy shoes fromt he running store they tend to be a bit pricey. I got a pair somewhere else for 50 bucks...WOOT! :)
    Good luck!

I need to disagree with this. If you go and get fitted at a proper running store, you should buy your first pair there as compensation for their time. I couldn't keep a business going if I gave out my services for free. Plus, finding a good knowledgeable running store is not the easiest thing, there are many poor stores I would not trust my feet to. Need to support the store. Future shoe purchases, yes, find elsewhere if you can find cheaper. Also watch out ordering online. Many reduced cost running shoes out there have defects, hence the cheap prices, and can lead to injuries.
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    Go get fitted for proper running shoes. I bought a pair of asics from a random store when I first started running and I had shin splints and leg pain really bad. Then my sister took me to a running store and they fitted me for running shoes. The ones they recommended were asics as well. But it made a world of difference my legs felt great after I got proper shoes.

This totally. I was wearing a too small of shoe and I was getting bad shin splints. When you get fitted dont feel obligated to buy shoes fromt he running store they tend to be a bit pricey. I got a pair somewhere else for 50 bucks...WOOT! :)
    Good luck!

I need to disagree with this. If you go and get fitted at a proper running store, you should buy your first pair there as compensation for their time. I couldn't keep a business going if I gave out my services for free. Plus, finding a good knowledgeable running store is not the easiest thing, there are many poor stores I would not trust my feet to. Need to support the store. Future shoe purchases, yes, find elsewhere if you can find cheaper. Also watch out ordering online. Many reduced cost running shoes out there have defects, hence the cheap prices, and can lead to injuries.

Ya I am going to save up for a few weeks so I can get something decent !
  • numsquat
    numsquat Posts: 133
    Options
    As far as shin pain goes, properly fitted shoes will help. Also look at your stride. Your foot should be landing mid-step, not on the heels or toes and your foot should land under your body mass or just slightly ahead. Longer strides result in braking and increased impact. Calf stretches after a warm up (not cold stretching) can help with shin pain plus stretching them again after the run. And keep your speed slow. Your body will build up in different time frames. The muscles build the quickest, your joints next then bones. Many injuries for newer runners happen when one area builds and you start pushing things harder before the next area has built up. The C25K is designed to get inactive people active and be able to complete a 5K, not a fast 5K or even running only 5K, just completing a 5K not just walking. A great resource for newer runners is Running for Mortals by John Bingham. It's good for experienced runners, I reread it every winter.
  • deniseearheart
    Options
    As far as shin pain goes, properly fitted shoes will help. Also look at your stride. Your foot should be landing mid-step, not on the heels or toes and your foot should land under your body mass or just slightly ahead. Longer strides result in braking and increased impact. Calf stretches after a warm up (not cold stretching) can help with shin pain plus stretching them again after the run. And keep your speed slow. Your body will build up in different time frames. The muscles build the quickest, your joints next then bones. Many injuries for newer runners happen when one area builds and you start pushing things harder before the next area has built up. The C25K is designed to get inactive people active and be able to complete a 5K, not a fast 5K or even running only 5K, just completing a 5K not just walking. A great resource for newer runners is Running for Mortals by John Bingham. It's good for experienced runners, I reread it every winter.

Oh I will look into it! I am just starting to run for the first time in my life and really want to stick with it!!
  • teagan79
    teagan79 Posts: 3
    Options
    I've completed 3 5k's and good shoes are a must as well as a proper running bra. I was professionally fitted for both and worth every penny. I have zero foot or chest pain after a 45 min jog. I did the c25k and loved it. Now working on my 10k with a goal of a half this nov. the more consistently you run the easier it is. Just don't increase too quickly or the recovery is too tough.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Just like everyone else, I think the shoes are the culprit. But I'm also a big believer in icing shins after every run. Once I started doing this I eliminated all shin pain and sensitivity. It helps.
  • beanburg
    beanburg Posts: 1
    Options
    I was told by my drs that the change in surface is what causes shin splints. Shoes help a LOT but here's what I do. Take two disposable plastic bottles, like water bottles. Fill them about two thirds full of water and freeze them. Roll them up and down your shins every morning and night. Works like a CHARM!

I went from completely sedentary to running two half marathons....I applaud your effort because I know how hard you are working to accomplish your goal. :)
  • careyannal
    careyannal Posts: 161
    Options
    The surface you run on makes a difference also. I try to avoid running on concrete (sidewalks) and instead run on asphalt (street) which is softer and more forgiving.
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Good luck!

Agree with the above. It's rude to go into a small local specialty store, spend a half hour of their time and expertise, and then not buy anything. At least buy your first pair there. You might find you go back for subsequent pairs, because they continue to share their knowledge, have other good accessories/gear, and maybe even have running groups you can join.
  • NobodyInParticular
    NobodyInParticular Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    New shoes, ice your shins and ibuprofen to lower the swelling.
  • prium01
    prium01 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I use cool pack ...helps a lot...I have also brought new shoes...
  • mixcodeal
    Options
    Shoes make a world or difference. Make sure you get fitted at a running store and they have you run or walk on them in a treadmill. I also found that old shoes are also painful. If you have had your shoes for more than a year of constant training and competing, it's definitely time for a new pair. i have to change mine every 6 to 8 months because I have a very heavy step.
    Sleep in compression sleeves and/or wear them for training, my sister has a problem with cramps and this helps her. When i do a 1/2 marathon I wear the sleeves and compression capris and I am not as sore as when i get out of a 1 hr training session. I know I also have a hard time on my joints when walking/running on cement, so try to run on asphalt. You might want to invest in a trainer once a week for a month, it helps so much. I have improved thanks to this last method. Hope this helps, and great running!
  • jessielong827
    Options
    Until you can get proper running shoes, try running on grass and dirt instead of pavement. im training for a 5k and haven't been able to get proper running shoes yet, and changing the terrain that i run on has helped immensely.
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am also about to start training for my first 5k! (i've never run anywhere before, except trying to jog home which is only 2k (1.2m). But a co-worker who is a long time runner has offered to take me out on a few short runs next week to give me some pointers and she recommended I get some good running shoes (all i have are my old skechers that are kind of falling apart now! LOL).

so i went to a sports/athletics store here on the weekend and the guy was really helpful and knowledgeable, and i got a pair of asics (that he said were a great shoe for beginner runners) for only $80! so i'm happy! (and i also got a bunch of new workout gear from Costco last week for great prices (a workout tank, and a breathable shirt, and a pair of yoga pants and yoga shorts). So i'm ready to roll! (or run :laugh: )

i'm going to attempt to do 5k on the treadmill in the gym at work tomorrow (not sure if i can, and i know it's different from running outside...) and then Tuesday (if it's not rainy!) i'm going for my first 'proper' run (or jog, as i like to say :happy: )