what do you guys think of metabolism "reset"

Options
k, correct me if i'm getting anything wrong here.
but i'm on week 3 of no weightloss and am i wrong in thinking i should try to up my calories for a couple days?
i was thinking of just going on maintenance for 2 days on the weekend to kick start my metabolism.

is this wrong? sorry if this is stupid, but this is what i've been reading in the forums a lot lately.
:/

please be gentle. i'm still trying to figure out how to find what works for me.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options
    Are you exercising or just started exercising?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Cyclink
    Cyclink Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Without seeing what you are eating and how much you are exercising, it's hard to say, but it is pretty unlikely that you need to "reset your metabolism" (which does not really happen in the way you are referring to it).
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Personally I wish I had found this article a lot earlier in my fat loss journey

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    bumping up calories works for me every time.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Increasing calories will usually work, but it's going to take more than 2 days.

What is your intake and activity level now?

Read this

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • peopletalk
    peopletalk Posts: 519 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    i have a very active job which is a lot of standing, walking, and fast walking.
    and i have school 3 times of the week/ night classes. i exercise when i find time, which is maybe 2-3 times a week. usually 20 mins cardio. i recently JUST today started circuit training hoping it would help.
  • peopletalk
    Options
    Without seeing what you are eating and how much you are exercising, it's hard to say, but it is pretty unlikely that you need to "reset your metabolism" (which does not really happen in the way you are referring to it).
    i just started last week eating 1550 calories a day (before it was 1700)
    i try to exercise atleast 2 times a week, maybe 3.

i have ibs so with my schedule i can't eat high fiber fruits and veggies much because it'll cause major stomach aches. but i try to drink v8, and get my vitamins elsewhere. on days off is when i eat my veggies and fruits. i never go over in carbs, and i've been doing good recently at keeping my sodium down.

i'm 22, 5'6 and 197 lbs
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I do not believe in a metabolism "reset" idea. It's not really scientifically feasible.

1. You can help boost metabolism by keeping it working more often. What eating more often does: increases thermogensis, fasting lipid and postprandial insulin profiles. Clinical Study: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/1/16.full

2. Build more metabolic muscle. Lifting heavier (strength training) will assist in maintaining Lean muscle while on a caloric deficit. Since lean muscle burns more calories, your body will burn more while at rest, allowing the caloric burn to take place while you sleep.

3. It sounds like you just started...So water retention on some small lean muscle development may account for the scale. May take a couple of months to see new weight loss. Everyone is unique in the way their body adapts to new lifestyles.

So, my recommendation is to have a nice glass of red wine tonight and hit the weights tomorrow. Your body composition will catch up to you in time.

My theory: "Nutrition is a diet.....Nutrition with exercise is a LIFESTYLE" and "If your going to strength train, you may as well do it HEAVY"
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,538 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    and i have school 3 times of the week/ night classes. i exercise when i find time, which is maybe 2-3 times a week. usually 20 mins cardio. i recently JUST today started circuit training hoping it would help.
    Then just chaulk up the no loss right now to water retention due to the adaptation to new exercise.

IDEA Fitness member
  • peopletalk
    Options
    I do not believe in a metabolism "reset" idea. It's not really scientifically feasible.

1. You can help boost metabolism by keeping it working more often. What eating more often does: increases thermogensis, fasting lipid and postprandial insulin profiles. Clinical Study: http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/81/1/16.full

2. Build more metabolic muscle. Lifting heavier (strength training) will assist in maintaining Lean muscle while on a caloric deficit. Since lean muscle burns more calories, your body will burn more while at rest, allowing the caloric burn to take place while you sleep.

3. It sounds like you just started...So water retention on some small lean muscle development may account for the scale. May take a couple of months to see new weight loss. Everyone is unique in the way their body adapts to new lifestyles.

So, my recommendation is to have a nice glass of red wine tonight and hit the weights tomorrow. Your body composition will catch up to you in time.

My theory: "Nutrition is a diet.....Nutrition with exercise is a LIFESTYLE" and "If your going to strength train, you may as well do it HEAVY"

i love your suggestions. i've actually been at this for 2 months so it's weird that i've already stalled.
    i would LOVE to start strength training but i have a fear of the gym. i wanna lose 20 lbs before hitting the gym. but i'm trying to do circuit training at home.
  • Erica_theRedhead
    Erica_theRedhead Posts: 724 Member
    Options

i love your suggestions. i've actually been at this for 2 months so it's weird that i've already stalled.
    i would LOVE to start strength training but i have a fear of the gym. i wanna lose 20 lbs before hitting the gym. but i'm trying to do circuit training at home.

Don't be scared of the gym. They are usually more scared of you than you are of them :flowerforyou:
  • zefreak
    zefreak Posts: 37
    Options
    Something I have done for years, which I actually saw on Dr Oz the other day that it boosts your Metabolism too, is drinking cold water/drinks. He saw you should have drinks on ice 2-3 times a day to help boost it (I just drink fridge cold water all the time as thats how I have always liked it) Might be worth trying it if you haven't already :)

Also apparently adding Zinc into diet helps too :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

There's research showing that meal frequency does not actually increase thermic effect.
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/meal-frequency-and-energy-balance-research-review.html
    http://physiqueconsultant.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/British-Journal-of-Nutrition-Meal-frequency-and-energy-balance.pdf
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

I so agree with you. You boost metabolism by exercise and eating well
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options

Don't be scared of the gym. They are usually more scared of you than you are of them :flowerforyou:

True story. Pretty much everyone there is self-conscious for one reason or another. Don't let it stop you.
  • dcuevas6235
    dcuevas6235 Posts: 135
    Options

IDEA Fitness member
    Then just chaulk up the no loss right now to water retention due to the adaptation to new exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

How long does this effect last? I know that if I am consistant with the increased water intake, that water weight it will always be present. What I'm asking is how long until one would start seeing their numbers go down again once water intake has been established?
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

IDEA Fitness member

How long does this effect last? I know that if I am consistant with the increased water intake, that water weight it will always be present. What I'm asking is how long until one would start seeing their numbers go down again once water intake has been established?

Conventional wisdom says 4-6 weeks until weight loss equals water retention and after that, you start seeing actual weight loss.

As far as metabolism reset, I don't believe in it in the way that people usually talk about it. When you decrease your calories (by any amount) BMR will naturally drop (not a lot mind you, just slightly).

Your body becomes more efficient at burning calories and reduces extraneous movement (people may fidget less or find that they generally don't move as much). Most studies show that people who have reduced calories experience some level of metabolic adaptation.

Most studies also show that after weight loss, BMR returns to normal for people of the same size. The time it takes depends on how much calories were restricted as well as how much weight was lost and the composition of the weight lost. Anywhere from 1-14 days is what I have read in studies.

In some cases, people who have lost a lot of weight (in excess of 100 pounds) BMR would be slightly lower than anticipated for someone of that size. The only way to boost BMR is to build muscle (which naturally increases BMR as it takes more energy to support muscle).

Also, I read a study that shows that people who lose excessive amounts of weight (to below a healthy body composition) experience more efficient fat storage. As in the persons body becomes excessively efficient and will also store fat at lower levels until the body fat is closer to healthy. However, as this applies only to extremely lean people, I don't think it's what you are looking for.

[Edit to add: This is as I understand it based on having read a bunch of studies on the given information. If someone disagrees and has a study that shows otherwise, I would definitely be interested in reading it.]
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    How long have you been dieting for? I may have missed if but I don't think that question has been asked and it is very relevant to your question.

ETA: are the intake numbers you gave gross or net?
  • elleryjones
    elleryjones Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you're already a gym member or have one in mind, but most gyms offer complimentary training sessions (usually 1-3 sessions) on the equipment. Usually once you know how they all work it decreases gym fears. Most people's biggest fear is that they don't know how to work the machines, they'll be doing something wrong, everyone will be laughing at them, etc.

Most people are too busy with their own workout (or looking at themselves in the mirrors) to pay much attention to others.

Good luck!