I want to start running, but...

Options

Replies

• robpett2001
    robpett2001 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'll also suggest that you contact your local running store, and see they have any beginners' running groups, or running coaches. If you're concerned about your ankle, they will have good advice for you, and also be able to fit you with shoes that are ideal for your particular stride pattern.

Oh, and my favorite C25K program (there are lots) was this one:
    http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k

You'll love running!
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    http://www.runningforbeginners.com/...c25k program for ya. Good luck!
  • nicarey19
    nicarey19 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Yep, like everyone else I recommend c25k. I did it a little over six months ago, and have finished several 5k races, an obstacle race, and this past weekend my first ever 10k! I never could have done that without c25k.

Way to go!!! I am training for a 10K and I started with C25K. Congrats on your success! :-)
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Everyone has said it, because it's perfect advice. Start with a couch to 5K program. I never thought I would be a runner. I was a short fat kid with asthma who grew up to be an adult who was terrified. Couch to 5K got me running 5K in 10 weeks. I've been out of it for a while now, but I am getting back into it and can't wait to be back up to my full run.
  • jessica_hart
    Options
    I dont like running cuz my boobs bounce too much!!

I feel the Same way!!!!!!!!! Any advice for this,ladies?
  • rem10210
    rem10210 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Best article I have ever read about starting running!
    http://www.runnersworld.com/beginners/how-start-running-abandon-all-reason
  • Lisapayne76
    Lisapayne76 Posts: 157 Member
    Options

Get an enell sports bra. I am rather well endowed up top and cheap sports bras from walmart do nothing for me. I bought an enell and it gives all the support you need while holding "things" still so they dont hurt
  • lindajay3
    lindajay3 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first 5k and I used the c25k program for the most part. There's also a book called Run Your Butt Off which starts at a really basic level. I also went to a running store and got new shoes. I just told them I was training to run my first 5k and they were really helpful with getting me into a good running shoe for my feet.

Good luck!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Zombies and c25k:). Zombies is so fun, it gets really silly if you make it play music and you have Amazing Grace on your playlist though!:)
  • stutba
    stutba Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Get a good running sports bra! Try them on before you buy. Jump up and down. If your boobs stay put and dont bounce.... your good as gold. It makes all the difference in the world.
    PS I am well endowed and I find the bras that have a back hook closure are the easiest for me to get on and off. I once tried a pull over style in the fitting room and I thought I was going to need a scissors to get it off! HA HA
  • watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options

Double bag them. Wear two sports bras, or just invest on one good one! I am 36D and don't have a problem.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Or just walk longer and faster! My body isn't up to running - dodgy knees, hips.... - but walking is great.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Yep, C25K.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, the c25k program is the best!! I just finished it and can't say enough good about it!
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I can't agree more - Couch to 5K is a phenomenal app!!! You can even google 'couch to 5k' and get a print out, in case you don't have a smart phone.

I'm finishing up week 3 and just signed up for my first 5k on Mother's Day!!! Can't say enough about C25K!
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    -1 Get a doctor to look at the foot and decide what that actual problem is.
    -2 Get shoes fitted by a running store that evaluates your running gate and mechanics. Buying "good" name brand shoes is not enough.
    -3 If you are walking it, then you just start adding in 30 second runs (not like you are being chased) to the middle of it.

Here is a blog with a lot more.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/surviving-the-long-run-398961

Remember - be safe, be careful, and have fun!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    My trainer started me very simply with no complicated methods whatsoever. 1 mile on the treadmill then go faster as I felt comfortable and try and beat my time weekly. My first mile was 18 minutes 2 months ago. I now do a 10 minute mile. He has now bumped me up to 3 miles and I did that in 33 minutes this week and will shave it down to 30 by next week.

When I started I would just run for a minute (a number I set in my head) then walk till I was ready to run another minute. I then decided to do a minute and a half and so on. I didn't time it exactly I just counted in my head 100 steps for a minute.

Another method I use is run one song on my ipod, count to 50 run the balance of the next song. I do that for 3 songs then walk one full song and repeat.

Just go for it and find a system that works for you and work on pushing yourself just a little bit further every day!!!
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I am so glad you posted this! I want to start running, too. I've gone 4 times in the past month and I love it (which is weird because I've never liked running) and I crave runs. I have to be careful, though, just starting out it'd be bad to try too much too soon, so while I want to run every day, I'm limiting it to 2-3 days a week for a few weeks.

I'm going to use an 8-week beginner's program from runnersworld.com (which is very similar to C25k), the RunKeeper app on my phone, and I've talked with some friends and done some research on breathing. There's an article on runnersworld about rhythmic breathing that I tried out and it worked awesome! Basically, you breathe in through your nose for 3 footsteps and out through your mouth for 2 footsteps. This makes it so that when you begin your exhale, it alternates sides of your body so you're not putting that stress on the same side constantly.

Feel free to add me and we can start this together!
  • cidalia73
    cidalia73 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    LOL at the bouncing boobs comment..

That's where a good sports bra, made for high impact sports specifically, comes in handy. I bought one last week, and no more bouncing. :)

At first when I put it on, I thought the fit was wrong 'cause it was up too high, and I had to pull down on the bra and had to grab and tuck myself into it, if you kwim, but once I had things secured in there, it was perfect!