What could this mean?

TalonaCat
TalonaCat Posts: 241
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Since about 3 weeks into my diet, I noticed....and you're all going to think I'm crazy, that I can taste a metallic, coppery taste in my mouth. It's not always, but it seems to be becoming more frequent. I don't have an issues with my teeth, as I see a dentist regularly... but it tastes like I'm sucking on a copper penny. What in the world could this be?

Replies

• I have heard this before. I heard it could be as simple as needing a crown (in mouth) replaced or I have even heard it could be a heart condition. I don't know how much I believe the heart cond. but have you tried to google this? you mentioned the dentist- have you heard about the crown issue?
  • TalonaCat
    I don't have any crowns or fillings in my teeth, and I literally had a complete dental checkup and cleaning not 3 months ago. Maybe I should go back... hrm..
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Are you taking a multi-vitamin or mineral supplement? Could you be getting too much of any particular vitamin or nutrient?

ETA: If you're taking a prenatal, I think this is fairly common.
  • justann
    justann Posts: 276 Member
    Have you recently started taking any vitamins or prescription meds? Sometimes those can leave an usual taste in the mouth.
  • TalonaCat
    I have been taking a prenatal for quite some time. Even before the diet, but I have started taking fish oil. I wonder if that could be it. Maybe I will cut that out for a few days and see if it stops.
  • Sometimes if your calories are really low your body goes into ketosis and that is one of the main side effects. Look it up on the internet!
  • themethod
    My guess would be more that the prenatal would be causing it than the fish oil. If you're eating better, you're probably getting an adequate amount of the vitamins in a prenatal without needing to supplement. So you may have built up a very high level of the ingredients that are not water soluble. This happened to me a few weeks ago and I cut the multi-vitamin out and after a few days - no more bad taste.
  • TalonaCat
    Oh lord. I just looked that up and that's actually scary. I don't want to starve myself. As a general rule, I am JUST under or slightly over my 1360 goal. But I am losing weight really rapidly. Do you think that maybe I should up my calorie limit just a little?
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    As I understand it, it can be a symptom of a variety of things one of which could be low B12. Also, it could be a side effect from certain medications (some antibiotics, prenatal vitamins, and some antidepressants). Regardless, I'd check with my family Dr. to discuss the issue and possible causes in more detail.
  • TalonaCat
    My guess would be more that the prenatal would be causing it than the fish oil. If you're eating better, you're probably getting an adequate amount of the vitamins in a prenatal without needing to supplement. So you may have built up a very high level of the ingredients that are not water soluble. This happened to me a few weeks ago and I cut the multi-vitamin out and after a few days - no more bad taste.

I will try that. Thanks for your help.
  • themethod
    You're most welcome. Just to throw it out there, I had a doc one time who told me not to take prenatals for more than a year, and then to take a month or so off and start them again if you feel they're necessary. No idea the science behind it, just anecdotal advice from one physician.
  • themethod
    Duplicate post
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    I saw this on another topic on the boards and it had to do with ketosis. Go look up weird taste or metallic taste on the msg boards...
  • Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    yea, i've heard it happens with ketosis too.

you mentioned prenatals though. is it possible you are pregnant, because that can sometimes be a symptom.
  • TalonaCat
    >.< You know what.... that last post just answered my question entirely. I'm about to put myself out there, but eh.... I've made peace with what I'm about to say. Just before I started all of this, I experienced a very early miscarriage. I'm not even supposed to be able to get pregnant right now, but I did. Anyways, I wonder if that could have been the cause of all of this.

I am NOT on a super low cal, low carb diet, so I'm going to doubt it's ketosis. (That's really scary though)

I'll stop taking my prenatals for a week or so, see if that helps.
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    If you are pregnant, I'd talk to your OB before changing (or stopping) anything with regards to nutrition. Just to be safe!
  • TalonaCat
    I am NOT pregnant.. I miscarried.

Edited to add this was BEFORE my diet change. And edited again to clear up any confusion. I realize it seemed as though that made me mad.. lol. It didn't.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Ketosis isn't really scary, its the basis of all low carb diets especially The Atkins. I've done it a couple times, you lose weight like crazy and because you are probably off sugar you feel good, but those diets always lead to short term weight loss for me. And definatly the metallic taste, still sounds like you got something else going on.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    It could be your fillings ready to come out if they are older ones when they used metal to fill cavities. If you are taking certain medications, like Lunesta, they will leave your breath w/ a metallic taste. Also, you might want to get checked by your Dr. for diabetes. Red meat can be a culprit as well, in some people the liver does not process toxins well, so a build up of high levels of metalscan be found in the body...i'm sure there are a ton of reasons! see a doc! :flowerforyou:
  • TalonaCat
    It could be your fillings ready to come out if they are older ones when they used metal to fill cavities. If you are taking certain medications, like Lunesta, they will leave your breath w/ a metallic taste. Also, you might want to get checked by your Dr. for diabetes. Red meat can be a culprit as well, in some people the liver does not process toxins well, so a build up of high levels of metalscan be found in the body...i'm sure there are a ton of reasons! see a doc! :flowerforyou:

LOL! I take Lunesta. No lie. Why did no one ever tell me that could be a side effect? *siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh*

I will definately be seeing a doctor. Due for a recheck this month anyhow.
This discussion has been closed.