Accurate Calorie intake count

Options
Hi! I'm new at this. Is there a more accurate way of figuring out my daily caloric intake requirement? MFP puts me at 1200. I am 5'5 and curently weigh 123lbs., and would like to be 117lbs. I run between 5K and 10K each day, along with the 30 Day Shed regimine after the run. I am 41 yrs. old with what I am assuming is an average metabolism. I am concerned about taking in too little calories and storing the weight. But if 1200 is right for me, I can do that. Any thoughts?

Replies

• aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    there's no magic math, sadly. )altho many have their theories) Try it for two weeks and see? You have a little room for trial and error since you're not overweight. Mine is set for 1400 ish, I think (I did that myself) and adjusted some of the other stuff, but when you log exercise it increases your calories allowed. Once you figure how many you have left after eating and exercising, it might be easier to adjust from there. Obviously if you're emaciated and can't get out of bed, your calorie goal might be too low. ;)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind MFP expect you to eat back exercise calories. So if you're doing all of that, you would add those burns to the 1,200...ergo, you would be grossing much more than 1,200 calories per day. Also, you could shoot for a less aggressive weight loss approach...I imagine you put in 2 Lbs per week so MFP gave you 1,200 calories...basically an 800-1000 calorie per day deficit from your maintenance calories.

For example, when I was doing the MFP method, they gave me 1,850 calories per day net to lose 1/2 Lb per week (I started out around 1-1.5 Lbs but I only have about 10 Lbs to go). With my burns from exercise, I was grossing around 2,200 calories (still netting 1,850).

I now use the TDEE method which is a viable option, especially if you have a consistent workout routine...you don't miss days, etc. Use an online TDEE calculator and include all of your activity, including your exercise...get that number and deduct 10, 15, or 20%. It comes out more or less 6 of 1. My TDEE - 10% (to lose about 1/2 Lb per week) is 2,200...the same as my MFP goal (1,850) plus the exercise calories I burn (350 per day on average)...1,850 + 350 = 2,200.

Edit: I just noticed you have a total of 10 Lbs to lose...1,200 calories is too aggressive of a weight loss approach with that little to lose. All you're going to do is burn up a bunch of muscle and LBM and stall out your metabolism. Shoot for about 1/2 Lb per week loss goal with that little to lose. Also, hit the gym and start lifting heavy things and putting them down to improve body composition.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Have a read through this thread, great info, and links to tools where you can run your numbers and figure how much you should be eating: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    At your height and weight, your BMR (according to online calculators) is 1302 so your sedentary TDEE is 1562. MFP gave you a deficit of 362 calories. When you exercise and input that exercise, MFP will tell you to consume more calories to maintain that deficit.

If you calculate your TDEE for moderately active and want to maintain the same deficit (which puts your weight loss at about a pound every 10 days) you could just eat 1650 calories per day. You could also calculate the "very active" (if you are running 6-7 days per week) which would put TDEE at 2245. Using the same deficit, you would eat 1883 calories per day.

Again, once you put in your exercise everyday, you will probably actually be eating in between those numbers (somewhere between 1650-1883) but your net will be about 1200 calories.
  • lvmygsp
    lvmygsp Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the great responses, I have had an "Ah-Ha!" moment! I get it! I add the calories burned and then eat THAT amount. Much more reasonable. This makes sense. Also, I DID have 10lbs. to lose, now I have 6. I am aiming for 1 lb./week. I realize that may be a bit aggressive. I know that charts say I'm fine, but I want to look better. Although I have always included moderate weight training in my routine, I am now making that more consistent and am using a clear routine instead of just randomness. I have also just purchased a HRM that I hope will make my workouts more efficient, rather than just longer. :) Thank you all!
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    With that little to lose, aim for 0.5/week. You'll have more food to fuel your workouts and will get better results :)