Choosing a running shoe?

Options
2»

Replies

• BaysiderNY
    BaysiderNY Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Invest in good running shoes. I can't stress on this enough. I was running in some nice expensive NIKE that were horrible horrible. It killed my toe nail for good. I wish I could post a picture. My toe nail is just dead.. blueish and refuses to repair. Its ugly and I am embarassed to shoe my feet now. Those Nikes weren't just for me. So its good to get fitted for shoes that are for you. I ended up buying brooks which are so much better. I am pregnant and I still run.
  • seif0068
    seif0068 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    JC Penneys has some pretty good running shoes on sale right now for $50-$60. They have Asics, Nikes, Adidas, and a couple other brands. I agree with others that going to a running store and having them assess your gait is really helpful. But if you can't afford it, don't let that stop you. Go to Pennies, try on a bunch of pairs, and see which feel the most comfortable (really walk around in them a little bit).

Things to consider - running shoes should be a little bigger than you might buy your regular shoes. Leave enough room for a thumb's width between the tip of your big toe and the tip of the shoe. Also, pay attention for any pinching or chafing when you try on the shoe.

Good luck!
  • Happy2BeMichelle
    Options
    I just went to a running store and got a pair of Brooks and they are awesome. They were over a $100 but after an injury from improper shoes I would say it was worth it. I would look at aisics Brooks. Saucony or new balance over the others.
  • triggsta
    triggsta Posts: 140
    Options
    Just want to add one last thing in. You talked about getting shin splints. I would argue that it's not the shoes that cause it but your stretching. Stretch your calves before you run (just a little bit, don't go crazy; you shouldn't stretch too much on "cold" muscles. I usually go jog for 2 minutes before I stretch my calves as I wait to cross a stop light). Stretching your calves will help prevent shin splints. Another option is calf compression socks (they have feetless ones too so you can wear your own socks). They improve the circulation in your legs and help prevent tightness in calves/shins. Also, stretch your calves again after a run. A foam roller is one of the best ways to do this (and feels absolutely heavenly, especially for me since I have pretty tight calves already).
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you aren't ready to buy then don't buy. If amazon is selling them cheaper then ask them to match the price. That's what I do. Buying shoes is a hellish experience for me as a runner and for many others. It's the worst part of running. Even if you find a model you love, the manufacturer could totally redesign it next year and make you hate it.