question...Heart Rate monitor

bsparks81
bsparks81 Posts: 29
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
So I bought a heart rate monitor (polar ft4) yesterday and thought that I would wear it for 24 hours to get a baseline to see if my calorie output is what mfp estimated...Well, according to my hrm I burned 4323 calories in the last 24:00:28 and I did NOT workout today. That seems really high to me but I don't know....When I put in age, weight, and slightly active (I'm a sahm but don't do a ton of stuff around the house just kinda the maintenance and log all additional cleaning as I do it) it came up as my daily calorie burn around 2300 or somewhere around there.) Should I change my mfp settings? Should I leave it? Thanks!

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    wear your HRM a few days and take the average...you could have just been excited with your new device today :-) Enjoy it.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    I agree about the avg. Also, I would play around with your dietary totals for a few weeks to sort of see where you land. My fitness trainer said that 1200-1500 daily cals is the range for women (unless there are medical issues involved as well).
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    It didn't dawn on my until this morning what the answer to your question is. Your Base Metobolic Rate estimated by this website is based on how many calories your body burns just staying alive. Keeping your heart pumping, while you sleep or rest. THAT is why there is such a big difference between what you got by wearing the monitor all day, and what this site estimates. You would need to wear it only while you are sleeping, or lying still, to know what your base rate is. Hope this helps. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.