Options
WOODWAYONE
WOODWAYONE Posts: 74 Member
I would like a lite Italian red sauce.

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i make this sauce out of roasted red pepper since i cannot handle tomatos well.

i roast about 4 red bell peppers, once they are done and steemed with the skin peeled off, i puree them.
    transfer to a pot and add vegetable broth until it is a sauce consistency.
    while the peppers are roasting you can saute up some other veggies. if you do meatless products add in some meatless crumbles.
    veggies i like to use are red onion, mushrooms, other peppers, and zucchini.

i also made a vegetarian shepherds pie for sunday, and i had leftover of the "meat mixture". which was boca meatless crumbles, cooked with vegetable broth and a bag of frozen soup veggies (corn, peas, etc) added in. since it didnt really have any specific spices since it is irish and kind of bland (no offense to the irish foodies lol), i can use the left over meat filling and mix it with sauce over pasta.

a good non red sauce is an alfredo sauce made with light laughing cow (any of the flavors), milk or coconut milk and some grated parm.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend making pesto instead.

But if you want a simple tomato based sauce here's one we use at my house for 2-4 servings of pasta. We add tomatoes as necessary to increase serving size.

A large Onion
    3 cloves garlic
    3-5 large fresh tomatoes (not canned)
    herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary)
    2 tablespoons of olive oil

Saute the onion and garlic in olive oil until starting to brown. Then chopped tomatoes (skin seeds and all). and herbs.

Variatins: Add anchovies in the onion and garlic stage, Or olives and capers at the tomato stage.
  • WOODWAYONE
    Options
    Thank you so much!!!! Your recipes are just what I was looking for.
  • WOODWAYONE
    Options
    I haven't made a pepper sauce before and am going to try this one. I have to watch tomatoes, also. Thanks so much for responding........