Peanut Butter

Options

Replies

• lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    (2 ingredients, peanuts and salt)

All natural is not peanuts and salt. It is just peanuts. I love Trader Joe's crunchy. But I digress.

The only solution may be to give it up. What you have identified is a binge food and those food items are usually not safe in the house. Your peanut butter eating habits have confirmed this. Sadly, I too have this problem and occasionally I can stick to 2 tablespoons a day. I measure religiously. Who am I to believe? The level tablespoon or my lying eyes!!!! When I can't stick to my allotment, I do without for about two weeks and then try it again.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    FYI, 1/4 cup of peanut butter is only two servings.

If you don't want to eat that much, don't. But really, what you're doing isn't THAT bad.
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    For ppl saying pb2...it's not the same. At least not to me. Just use self control. stop at 2 tbsp

Yep! Fake food :noway: Just eat the real thing. If it's something you can't learn to control, then don't buy it. I love peanut butter and eat it every. day.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    if you can't control yourself, stop buying it.

This is what I had to do. I am like OP I can sit down with a spoon & eat 1/3 a jar in one sitting. Not the cheap stuff either but the fancy organic just peanut & sea salt stuff. OMG I want some!! :sad:

I can't have it in my house anymore. I would gain weight just looking at the jar. And to all those talking about the PB2. that stuff is ok if you mix it with cool whip or something like that but it is a sorry excuse for peanut butter!!
  • tatd_820
    tatd_820 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    For ppl saying pb2...it's not the same. At least not to me. Just use self control. stop at 2 tbsp

You are right. It is not anywhere near the same but for me, it does the trick when I am craving PB. I like to use it in my smoothies and such and I get the PB taste and not all the cals.
  • GamerLady
    GamerLady Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've been turned on to PB2. It's a powdered peanut butter with hecka less calories. Not the same as real peanut butter, but takes care of the craving.
    ^^This^^ :) Love my PB2
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Are you high?

Why would you ever want to stop eating peanut butter?

Generally being high makes you wanna eat not stop...
    Are you high? lol

You have to have self control, only having a serving. Unless you just want to get rid of the PB all together...

I was just about to say the same thing. If I was high, I'd be eating the whole jar...
  • LeslieN65
    LeslieN65 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Eat the peanut butter and enjoy it!! Cut off calories from somewhere else....if we completely deprive ourselves, then we will eventually go crazy and eat too much of the wrong things...I eat peanut butter each and everyday:-) I can do an extra few minutes of working out to make up it for it:-) Spoons up!!
  • hilldiggity
    hilldiggity Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't know why it doesn't have it's own section on the food pyramid...

I have 2 Tbsp just about everyday (and I lick every drop off of the spoon and the knife I spread it with) and wash it down with milk. The milk leaves me feeling satisfied and "done". Having the lingering taste of peanut butter in my mouth just makes me want more.

But if you can't control yourself, or if you can't fit more than 2 Tbsp into your daily calories I say screw the substitutes and just step away from the jar for awhile. Keep it out of the house - even if you have to throw out a half-full jar.
  • anna32aries
    anna32aries Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a teaspoon or tablespoon almost every night before I go to bed....love it and won't give it up!
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    I have a teaspoon or tablespoon almost every night before I go to bed....love it and won't give it up!

you don't have to...
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    1/4 cup..and you can stop?? Don't see a problem there. I could munch down 1/2 cup easy with some celery or better yet...Hershey's!!

Do as others have suggested, try the PB2 or work it into your daily allotment. I try and work out extra so I can have the things I want without feeling guilty.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Never had any major issue with peanut butter, but I did briefly ban it from my kitchen when I found I was having 3 tbsp rather than 1 or 2 a day. Also, a trainer I saw at the time, basically said it was crap nutritionally, and just fat. It is true, things like almonds and walnuts, are imo, more nutritious than peanuts, as are other legumes, which peanut is. That said, I have had a large tub of the 1 ingredient smooth version for a week now, and only had 2 tbsp in that time. Pb2 is okay for mixing into yoghurt and smoothies, but it is no real substitute texture wise. I get peanut flour sometimes, which is also powdered peanuts, but without the sugar added to pb2 and much cheaper. It makes a wonderful dessert when mixed with Greek yoghurt, agave, flax and a little hemp.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    As long as I have peanut butter, I'll never be hungry. I eat it almost everyday and even pack it in my suitcase when I go away. Like everyone else said, take your 2 tablespoons and put it back in the cupboard. Though, if it's a binge trigger for you it might be a good idea to stop buying it for a while.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    There are really only a few options here.

If the OP is eating 1/4 cup, and only that... it's not really a huge deal. If they go back and get a 1/4 cup per trip.. multiple times, and can't control that, there's a problem.

So.

1. Learn self control. Have your 1/4 cup of PB. Real, delicious, creamy, ermagerrrd PB. Fit it into your macros for the day.
    2. If you can't control yourself, stop buying PB. Switch to PB2 if you want. You can use your tears of "oh god, this isn't real PB" to help mix it up to a somewhat paste-like consistency.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I ... i mean... stop? Use a tablespoon and take two scoops worth, put the lid back on, and put it away...

self control is part of this.

QFT

tumblr_mhebktbTBn1r9cqm9o3_250_zpsfe4926e4.gif
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    FYI, 1/4 cup of peanut butter is only two servings.

If you don't want to eat that much, don't. But really, what you're doing isn't THAT bad.

this... and put it in a bowl with sliced banana....HEAVENNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
  • KathyPBiles
    KathyPBiles Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    There are 2 foods I refuse to live without. Peanut Butter and Chocolate. Both are high in calories, but healthy in moderate amounts. There is no substitute for either, as far as I'm concerned.

So I have 3 choices:

Don't eat it, don't have it in the house, don't buy it, then there is no temptation.

or

Keep eating as much of it as I want and stay fat.

or

Learn to have it in moderate amounts. - I choose this. I'm not giving up my favorite foods. ever.

I totally agree with you!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I have a real problem with peanut butter. I only eat the all natural (2 ingredients, peanuts and salt) however I can sit and eat 1/4 cup at a time. I figured this out when I started weighing the jar before and after my trips to the cupboard. I love peanut butter and it is good for you but even I know this is ridiculously excessive. Almond butter is not a substitute, I've tried this. Suggestions?

I... i mean... stop? Use a tablespoon and take two scoops worth, put the lid back on, and put it away...

self control is part of this.

As the skies opened up and the sea's parted!!! (Joking of course Coach) I totally agree with this... I love my Peanut butter but right next to the Jar is the Tbsp. Everything in moderation but there is definitely a need for self control.....
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Freeze your peanut butter by the tablespoon. Pop one out and hold it in your mouth. Delicious and lasts a long time. I do this with regular and also the chocolate.