Kombucha?

Options
Can anyone tell me what this is all about? Seems like I'm seeing it all over the place, and everybody keeps talking about how good it is for you, but I tend to be skeptical about these things. I tried it once and I wasn't a fan of the taste either. I'm just curious as to how it's supposed to be good for you.

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Can anyone tell me what this is all about? Seems like I'm seeing it all over the place, and everybody keeps talking about how good it is for you, but I tend to be skeptical about these things. I tried it once and I wasn't a fan of the taste either. I'm just curious as to how it's supposed to be good for you.

tastes awful, but has live bacteria (probiotics we desperately need) in it from the fermentation process similar to the concept of kefir, but this is done with tea instead. super good for you. right now i'm into kefir because it's cheaper. not gonna shell out $4/bottle for kombucha.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Kombucha producers often claim that kombucha 'detoxifies the body and energizes the mind', although little research of its health benefits has been published.
    A review of the published literature on the safety of kombucha suggests no specific oral toxicity in laboratory animals.[12] While no randomized, case-controlled studies have been published in relation to its effect on humans, there has been suspicion in isolated incidents of its effect on the central nervous system, liver, metabolic acidosis, and toxicity in general,[13][14] though no specific links have been established. Acute conditions, such as lactic acidosis, caused by drinking of kombucha, are more likely to occur in persons with pre-existing medical conditions.[14] Other reports suggest care should be taken when taking medical drugs or hormone replacement therapy while regularly drinking kombucha.[15] It may also cause allergic reactions.[16]
    Many claims have focused on glucuronic acid,[17] a compound used by the liver for detoxification. The idea that glucuronic acid is present in kombucha is based on the observation that glucuronic acid conjugates (glucuronic acid waste chemicals) are increased in the urine after consumption. Early chemical analysis of kombucha brew suggested glucuronic acid was the key component, and researchers[citation needed] hypothesized that the extra glucuronic acid would assist the liver by supplying more of the substance during detoxification. These analyses were done using gas chromatography to identify the chemical constituents, but this method relies on having proper chemical standards [18] to match to the unknown chemicals.
    However, a more recent and thorough analysis of a variety of commercial and homebrew versions of kombucha found no evidence of glucuronic acid. Instead, the active component is most likely glucaric acid. This compound, also known as D-glucaro-1,4-lactone, helps eliminate the glucuronic acid conjugates produced by the liver. When these conjugates are excreted, normal gut bacteria can break them up using a bacterial form of the enzyme beta-glucuronidase. Glucaric acid is an inhibitor of this bacterial enzyme, so the waste stored in the glucuronic acid conjugates is properly eliminated the first time, rather than being reabsorbed and detoxified over and over. Thus, glucaric acid probably makes the liver more efficient.[19]
    Glucaric acid is commonly found in fruits and vegetables, and is being explored independently as a cancer-preventive agent.[20] The bacterial enzyme beta-glucuronidase can interfere with proper disposal of a chemotherapeutic agent, and antibiotics against gut bacteria can prevent toxicity of some chemotherapy drugs,[21] supporting the idea that glucaric acid is an active component of kombucha.
    Reports of adverse reactions may be related to unsanitary fermentation conditions, leaching of compounds from the fermentation vessels,[22] or "sickly" kombucha cultures that cannot acidify the brew. Cleanliness is important during preparation, and in most cases, the acidity of the fermented drink prevents growth of unwanted contaminants.
    Some evidence from small case studies has shown kombucha to aggravate symptoms of ulcerative colitis in patients taking remicade, potentially causing life-threatening side effects, such as causing the appendix to burst.[citation needed]
    Other health claims may be due to the simple acidity of the drink, possibly influencing the production of stomach acids or modifying the communities of microorganisms in the gastrointestinal tract.[23]
    Several firms market kombucha capsules and tea bags purportedly containing some form of dried kombucha. No evidence supports any health benefits to such products.[citation needed] The addition of boiling water to dried kombucha in teabag form is likely to kill any remaining live culture. Another suspect product being marketed is Kombucha extract. Most such extracts are no more than small amounts of kombucha tea that has turned vinegary.
    Some firms market their kombucha mushroom cultures based on their size, charging more for larger cultures. The size of a mushroom culture does not really matter; smaller ones will ferment a new batch of prepared tea just as well as larger ones.

Lots of information on the net about it. Never tried it myself.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    kombucha is a fermented food which is full of probiotics. If you don't like the taste, don't bother... it's made with sugar (usually some organic cane sugar, but sugar is needed to feed the bacteria)
    I like the taste, and i intend to start brewing my own, but i wouldn't go out of my way to get it if i wasn't enjoying it.
    I personally feel like everything i put in my body should help, and i feel that bowel health really helps get the most of the healthy food i eat... As long as you are getting those good bacteria somewhere - yogurt, kefir, probiotic supplements or what have you, i wouldn't feel any guilt over the lack of kombucha love
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I drink Kombucha as a soda substitute (written as I drink a Coke Zero).

It has the same carbonation fizz that soda has, but from the natural fermentation of the tea. I've never had plain Kombucha, I always buy the fruity flavors or the multi-green. Looks awful, tastes great. Low in calorie and sugar, and I usually only have about a 1/3 of a bottle at a time, so it's expensive but I spread it out.

Try it. It's good for your gut.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i have also been warned to not drink too much of it at the beginning, or it can make you get the runs if your body isn't used to fermented food