I have trouble eating 1200 calories sometimes?

Options
2»

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    find food that's more calorie dense.
    get a handful of almonds, or some peanut butter, etc. Instead of the .88 of a cup of milk for your cereal, just have a solid cup.

if you don't want to eat more food, replace the "low fat / diet" versions with the honest-to-god-legit-versions.

It really, seriously is as simple as:
    1. look at MFP food goal.
    2. look at food label.
    3. count.
    4. eat until you're closer to your goal.

I'm not trying to even be a smart-*kitten*, it's seriously that easy. And yes, like most others have already stated, you're undereating for what you're trying to do.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have to add in calories for my hubby so on his food I use almond butter, regular fat cheese, real butter, whole milk. Males typically need more cals, especially if you are going to try building muscle. Also some great supplement stuff like shelled hemp seeds, ground flax, I love chia seeds, different nuts. You can also drink some calories, Avocado banana smoothies are great. Also another I love is coconut almond butter smoothies. Little things like that can add up quick. If ya want any recipes message me.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of your help!!

I do lift weights a lot, however, I don't log them in because I lose track too easily.

I also always get nervous because I am always over sugar from fruits.. like 50-100 grams over, so should I worry about sugars at all?

I thought cheese was not good!

Ignore sugar, especially from fruit.

Calories are a billion times more important. When it comes down to it, calories are the ONLY thing that's important for weight loss. Protein and weight lifting are the only things that matter for muscle retention/building. Fat is important for hormones and satiety. Carbs are irrelevant. Literally, the bottom of the totem pole.

Eat protein. Eat fat. Ignore carbs. Hit your calorie goals.

Eat cheese! Eat pizza, eat ice cream, eat whatever you want. Just hit your freakin macros!
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You do need more protein. It is essential for concentration and learning (you don't want to waste that education... I almost failed my last sememester of college due to a low protein diet). But, you can not run your body, lift weights, do other exercises, go to school, and be a dude under the age of 60, and over the height of Tom Cruise on 1200 calories and 1 piece of chicken a day.
    Eat beef. Protein, fat, calories. Make your own burgers (Walmart sells presses for 5 bucks), skip the mayo and half your bun. I'm trying to remember what a 2 ounce patty of lean ground is... something like 300 calories and 20g of protein.
    Tuna is good (with full fat mayo). If you want to skip the bread chop up an apple and some celery, and make an actual salad with it.
    Anyways, eat more meat. Calories, protein, and lean body mass retention (you don't look the herion chic type).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Also: look at my diary. It's open.

Today, I've had ice cream and Dunkin Donuts. Yesterday I had McDonald's, Subway, ice cream, chili, and more Dunkies. Day before that, more ice cream, and I smothered my chicken with Swiss cheese.

Losing weight doesn't mean you have to eat like a rabbit.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Losing weight doesn't mean you have to eat like a rabbit.

preach it.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Seriously? My 52lb 8-year-old son can polish off 500-600 (healthy!) calories for breakfast. I'm sure you could manage it. This morning he had a chocolate protein pancake (made with 1 mashed banana, 1 egg, oat flour, chocolate protein powder, unsweetened cocoa powder, chia seeds and ground flaxseed and cooked in coconut oil, then when it was done topped with peanut butter and sliced strawberries), a glass of milk and an English muffin topped with butter and homemade raspberry jam. It was over 600 calories today.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    What on earth is the point in lifting lots of weights while you are burning away muscle by not eating enough ? Seriously, do some research, read around the forums, find out your TDEE and eat 15% below it at most, do your weights, do some cardio, and eat. Most women here are eating more than you are. Plenty of healthy ways to get calories too. Peanut butter, nuts, seeds, eggs, avocado, oatmeal, full fat dairy, coconut oil added to cooking, protein shakes if that is your thing, pizza is not as unhealthy as one might think if in moderation, and neither is ice cream. Make it your quest to actually formulate a plan, and to plan your foods out to hit the correct goal. Focus on bodyfat rather than the scale, and on hitting weight lifting targets, and believe me, you will not get near to your potential there if you do not eat enough.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Lol, what cracks me up about these threads is that "somehow" eating 1200 calories is impossible, but they got here eating WAY over that before.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Yes, you are eating too few calories. Try adding in more calorie dense foods here and there, Avocado, granola bars, nuts, cheese, etc.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Eating under 1200 calories M-F then going batsh!t crazy on weekends is a surefire path to disordered eating.

The biggest bonus of weight loss is improving your health. While you are doing that, learning how to eat properly will definitely be an asset in the long run. I don't mean that you have to "eat clean" all the time, I mean find a balance that works for you. It will take time, trial and error, and you may have really awful days, but finding that balance is key to losing the weight AND keeping it off.

Also, you have some other very good suggestions here. Hitting protein and fat macros helps with maintaining lean body mass...do some more research, you will find your way. Best of luck.