best multivitamin for 19 year old girl?

Options
I've been sleeping enough lately and eating a pretty normal amount (it's all in my diary) but I'm just so tired all of the time! My Mom suggested a multivitamin, partially because she knows that at college I'm probably not getting everything I need due to the scarce amount of healthy options. Which brand/type would be best for me? I'm about 5'10", weigh just over 170, and walk at least 2 miles a day to get to classes! I'm pretty active considering I work out 5 days a week on top of that.

Oh and I can't take "horse pills". I just can't swallow huge pills!

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Any standard multivitamin should be fine. I just take this random multivitamin I got at whole foods. As long as it covers all the basics you'll be fine.
  • Tunia85
    Tunia85 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit and veggies are best, but if you can't afford it, or don't have the time to prepare your food try the gummy adult vitamins. They're convenient, yummy and don't overload you on vitamins (which is a good thing).

I buy these: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vitafusion-MultiVites-Gummy-Vitamins-150-count/22288718
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    If you're walking 2 miles every day AND exercising 5 days per week on top of that, by the looks of your diary.. you're not eating enough. That'd certainly have a hand in feeling run down.

Vitamins will only do so much, more nutrient-dense calories will work wonders.

Here, I ran your numbers for you:

7a5uOLW.jpg
  • iggylove123
    iggylove123 Posts: 302
    Options
    Thank you :) I'll look at Walmart nest time I'm there! Gummies look good :3

That's waaaaaaay too many calories! I weigh just under 171 and I'm trying to lose 5 more pounds and I definitely won't do that by eating 2500 calories a day!
  • trogalicious
    Options
    Thank you :) I'll look at Walmart nest time I'm there! Gummies look good :3

That's waaaaaaay too many calories! I weigh just under 171 and I'm trying to lose 5 more pounds and I definitely won't do that by eating 2500 calories a day!

I'm terribly sorry you're choosing to argue with science. Proven, factual, medically based science. I mean, what do I know about losing weight after all.

I mean really, if you're sleeping enough... and you're still exhausted... do you think eating less is going to help? Compare your body to a garden, if you stop watering it in hopes to kill the weeds, what is gonna happen to the flowers in there too?
  • JeneticTraining
    JeneticTraining Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    vegetables
  • iggylove123
    iggylove123 Posts: 302
    Options
    I didn't mean to insult the way that you lost weight! It just wouldn't work for me because in the past eating that many calories (even though I ate healthy) caused me to stay at the same weight. I've lost almost 30 pounds doing what I'm doing now. I just want to ensure I'm getting essential nutrient/vitamins.

I eat veggies!
  • lisanhorowitz
    lisanhorowitz Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Drink water! It makes a big difference.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Do you know what you're deficient in? You can't really know if you need more of something if you don't know what you're not getting enough of. Iron? Potassium? B vitamins? I'd find out first before you start swallowing a bunch of pills you don't need & not finding out what the real issue is.
  • trogalicious
    Options
    I eat veggies!

You can argue it all you want. There are hundreds and hundreds of folks that eat above their BMR, below their TDEE... eat whatever they want, and still lose weight.

I eat veggies and take a multivitamin too. You've lost 30 lbs because you're under-eating. It isn't my opinion, it's science. You will lose if you eat at a proper caloric deficit. Right now, you're likely eating at much too large of a deficit.

That whole "I'm sleepy and run down" thing is your body saying "FEED ME MOAR OF TEH FOODS" and has nothing to do with a multivitamin. Take some time, hit up google. Read about your basal metabolic rate. Understand that your body is burning calories all the time... while you eat, sleep, feed your cat, poop, whatever. That amount isn't going to change.

THEN!

...and this is where it gets awesomesauce....

understand that you're burning MORE delicious calories when you work out. Since you say you're walking all of the time and working out 5 days per week, your metabolism is a kickin' chicken.

you have to feed your body to make sure it's running efficiently. putting two tablespoons of fuel in a car isn't going to keep it running without sputtering...

right now, this very instant... the fact that you're looking for something to give you more energy? Bingo. You're sputtering.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,079 Member
    Options
    Please eat more. Trog knows what he's talking about.

Eat More ™ - that's how you are going to lose weight and feel better. At 19, you shouldn't be tired! If you are, you need to eat.

How do you expect the car to get to the next state with 1/4 tank of gas???

That's it. Just eat. I don't know how else to say it. At a minimum you should be at around 2000.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Dear lord, I have to agree, you're likely tired because you don't have enough fuel. I'd hardly consider what you are eating a 'normal amount' for a tall woman. I'm shorter and lighter and eat more then you and I'm still losing. If you think you were eating less then your calculated energy expenditure before and gaining weight, then I would try thinking about it again. You probably weren't calculating calories, or you were doing it wrong and are currently doing it wrong. Or you have a serious medical condition that should be looked after.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I didn't mean to insult the way that you lost weight! It just wouldn't work for me because in the past eating that many calories (even though I ate healthy) caused me to stay at the same weight. I've lost almost 30 pounds doing what I'm doing now. I just want to ensure I'm getting essential nutrient/vitamins.

I eat veggies!
    Many nutrients, including the ones in vegetables, are fat soluble. That means that if you're not getting enough fat in your diet to absorb them, you're not going to absorb them. And taking a pill with those vitamins in it will still not help you absorb them. Food can help you absorb things, I suggest you try it.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lmcujpSXDC1qb7n0v.png
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    anything is fine - just a generic one a day womens usually does the trick
  • CoderGal
    Options
    tumblr_lmcujpSXDC1qb7n0v.png
    They're so delicious.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    If you're walking 2 miles every day AND exercising 5 days per week on top of that, by the looks of your diary.. you're not eating enough. That'd certainly have a hand in feeling run down.

7a5uOLW.jpg

:flowerforyou: What a lovely thing to do!

Science wins every time.
  • CoderGal
    Options

7a5uOLW.jpg

Science wins every time.

I know right? I don't have the patience or kindness or care enough to do things like that anymore for people who will get defencive despite not being educated on the topic and take months to realize what they are doing to themselves. I hope the op realizes they had to go to do some math in their head, realize those numbers were to low, realized the problems that can occur from that, cared enough to open a browser find the website get their numbers to punch in, submit her info, get a screen cap, open a program to paste and save it in, resize/crop, go to a website to upload it, get the link, write her a message and post it here. Much appreciated even though I was not the one who needed it.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options

Science wins every time.
    I know right? I don't have the patience or kindness or care enough to do things like that anymore for people who will get defencive despite not being educated on the topic and take months to realize what they are doing to themselves. I hope the op realizes they had to go to do some math in their head, realize those numbers were to low, realized the problems that can occur from that, cared enough to open a browser find the website get their numbers to punch in, submit her info, get a screen cap, open a program to paste and save it in, resize/crop, go to a website to upload it, get the link, write her a message and post it here. Much appreciated even though I was not the one who needed it.
    Agreed! OP, at your age--and for many years afterwards--I was impatient about weight loss. The only way I knew how to do it was to eat far too little, drop weight too quickly for as long as I could stand to do it, then gain it all back (plus) when I went back to eating "normally." The only thing that kept me at a healthy weight during the few years of my adult life that I actually was at one was lots and lots of activity.

I was well into my 40s before I learned that I could lose weight, and maintain weight loss, by keeping track of everything and eating at a relatively small deficit (250-500 under maintenance). It takes longer. It does. But it's more comfortable, so you can do it for longer without feeling deprived. And when you step up to maintenance, you don't feel lost about how much to eat or need to make any radical changes, because you're only increasing your calories by a few hundred. It's a process by which you really learn how much your body needs to eat.

I wish someone had explained this all to me when I was 19. I wouldn't have spent most of my adult life fat.
  • CoderGal
    Options

Science wins every time.
    Agreed! OP, at your age--and for many years afterwards--I was impatient about weight loss. The only way I knew how to do it was to eat far too little, drop weight too quickly for as long as I could stand to do it, then gain it all back (plus) when I went back to eating "normally." The only thing that kept me at a healthy weight during the few years of my adult life that I actually was at one was lots and lots of activity.

I was well into my 40s before I learned that I could lose weight, and maintain weight loss, by keeping track of everything and eating at a relatively small deficit (250-500 under maintenance). It takes longer. It does. But it's more comfortable, so you can do it for longer without feeling deprived. And when you step up to maintenance, you don't feel lost about how much to eat or need to make any radical changes, because you're only increasing your calories by a few hundred. It's a process by which you really learn how much your body needs to eat.

I wish someone had explained this all to me when I was 19. I wouldn't have spent most of my adult life fat.
    Not to mention the metabolism will not be as suppressed which is why many yo yo dieters gain the weight back. Not because they don't have any self control, but because eating less can cause weight gain in a suppressed metabolism so the weight is easily gained back. And without a solid weight training program, significant muscle mass can be lost which also slows the metabolism so maintenence even after you gain some weight back and your metabolism increases will be less then it could be and you would ve a whole oot less firmer then what you could be