Do you Hide Your Diary???

Options

Replies

• DavidC1857
    DavidC1857 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have to admit this whole thread has got me wondering. Do random people really make comments about your diary? Even if you're not asking for help? (I'm not).

I honestly don't care what people think. (Or do I?) I'm eating for myself, not someone else. (Or am I?) So as an experiment, I just opened my diary entirely. I want to see what happens.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    If you hide it, you may as well not even log it.

Wow. I guess the 107 lbs I lost wasn't worth logging either? Everyone has their reasons for keeping it private or public. It doesn't give others the right to form judgemental opinions. FYI: I eat very well and clean 90% of the time. I'm not embarrassed of my choices, I do however keep personal notes in mine, it is a diary after all. And those notes are no one's business but mine.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Mine is open for people on my friends list to view, but I have turned off the automatic news feed section where it posts that I've closed my diary for the day. I'm not ashamed of it (I'm rarely ever over after I add my exercise calories), I just figure if people really want to see my diary, they know where to look for it.
  • fatfriendonadiet
    fatfriendonadiet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I'm too shy to make mine public. Hopefully, as I become more confident in what I'm doing here, I'll find that confidence.
  • XxfitforeverxX
    Options
    I used to have mine so that only friends could see it, but some people were being kind of nosy about what I chose to eat. When other people can see my diary I feel like I have to eat to please them, when I need to eat what I want. :)
  • Misssynth
    Misssynth Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have mine for friends only, because theyre the people that support me and I'm more motivated not to binge if I know other people will know. I'm one of those 'secret' bingers so it really helps. I also like looking at others diaries so I can get some ideas of healthy lo cal snacks and things.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to friends only. I have a very supportive but honest group of friends. There are some really snarky people in the community who do their best to hurt other people's feelings and make them feel stupid; I don't want to hear from them (as I have in the past) about my food choices.
  • raspberryblonde
    Options
    Hide? No. Not make it public? Yes.

Diaries (whether for food or for feelings) are supposed to be private!
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Mine is private. And I'll tell you why. I've just started here and am trying to get the hang of things. So maybe once I see some good results that I'm happy with I'll open it to my friends and eventually the public. I do however look at other peoples diaries - not to criticize them but to get ideas of what they are eating to benefit me. Heck yea, I've got at least 50 lbs to lose to get to my goal weight and if I see someone whose lost a fair amount of weight - they must be doing something right. It might steer me in the right direction for my journey.
  • sarah12277
    sarah12277 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm a private person in general so I don't share much to people in general, let alone random strangers on a website.

I log for myself. That keeps me accountable. I know myself well enough that if others could see it I wouldn't log my binges or planned indulgences. If someone specifically asks to see mine, with stipulations of where I am in my journey, I would share it if it were to help them. For right now it's no one else's business but my own.

If I asked for help or had a question, I would open it for that advice only - for me it's very doubtful that I will ask.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have to admit this whole thread has got me wondering. Do random people really make comments about your diary? Even if you're not asking for help? (I'm not).

I honestly don't care what people think. (Or do I?) I'm eating for myself, not someone else. (Or am I?) So as an experiment, I just opened my diary entirely. I want to see what happens.
    rude people, passive aggressive bullies & control freaks.

but then, there are people rude enough to tell the overweight gal in the street that she shouldn't be eating that ice cream. it should come as no surprise that even more people are obnoxious when they can hide behind a keyboard.
  • newloafofbread
    newloafofbread Posts: 46 Member
    Options

rude people, passive aggressive bullies & control freaks.

but then, there are people rude enough to tell the overweight gal in the street that she shouldn't be eating that ice cream. it should come as no surprise that even more people are obnoxious when they can hide behind a keyboard.

Yes, this, seriously. I had some teenagers make fun of me once at my college because I was eating three pieces of pizza. Ever since I gained so much weight I have a weird embarrassment about eating in front of other people. I feel like I need to prove them wrong or something.

Now I'm eating healthier but I still feel embarrassed.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I wanted to add I think some people may keep theirs prviate because of the comments people make. Unless it's helpful - making comments about people going over sodium or whatever is pointless and annoying.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It's completely a personal choice. For myself, I am more accountable when I know others are looking at it. I even find myself making better choices sometimes so viewers might be impressed with me! :blushing:
  • XxfitforeverxX
    Options
    I wanted to add I think some people may keep theirs prviate because of the comments people make. Unless it's helpful - making comments about people going over sodium or whatever is pointless and annoying.

I agree.
  • AwesomelyAmber
    AwesomelyAmber Posts: 1,617 Member
    Options
    Having an open diary is certainly NOT a part of MY MFP game. Mine is closed, as it is for ME and noone else. In order to make this work for me I have learned that I need to be honest with myself.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. Food is not private to me. I eat in public and am not ashamed, even when I make poor choices. I'm not sure I consider it necessary to have an open diary on MFP so I don't think it's strange when people hide theirs. To each their own...
  • Amanda_Runs
    Amanda_Runs Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Mine is open since real life happens everyday so being perfect everyday can't happen!
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I hide it from you but it is in plain sight for me. I am an experiement in the works and my diary is my data catalog.
  • AlexBoBalex79
    AlexBoBalex79 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm relatively new to the site and the first few days I had it private. Then I was asking questions on the message boards and figured it would be helpful to me to have it open. Nobody has commented on it or asked questions. But my first reaction was to keep it closed b/c I was just using the site to track my calories. To each their own!