babies first shots

Options
SerenaFisher
SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
OK. Am I the only one who cried when they gave my baby her shots? It was awful and worse I am at work and cannot be with her tonight... anyone have any suggestions what mommy can do to make the pain less? They suggested children's Tylenol and warm wash cloths to her legs which I already told my fiance (he's home with her) but any other things would be appreciated. Feel free to tell me how your babies first shots went.

And she is my second. But my son is ten and I forgot what it WaS like!

Replies

• SwimFan1981
    SwimFan1981 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I remember mine as if it were yesterday....:drinker:

jelllo-shots.jpg
  • Shanellz
    Shanellz Posts: 35
    Options
    The warm towel & massage it softly. Your baby is probably over it already. I have 2 kids and I always got tears eyed when they got shots.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    I remember mine as if it were yesterday....:drinker:

jelllo-shots.jpg
    :laugh:

See I am not the only one @Shanellz. I sure she will be over it much sooner than I. They made me hold her legs while they stabbed her :sad:
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    It is way more traumatic to us than it is to them usually. I have cried with the first shots for all of my boys. It hurts me to just think of it. I'm sorry you have to work tonight, we often don't realize how hard some days will be before they happen. Watch the little one (or have fiance) close for about 24 hrs to ensure she doesn't get a fever. Fever after vaccine is fairly common and not usually anything to worry about but you always want to treat it right away to reduce the risk of febrile seizure. Babies can be funny like that fine one minute and 102 the next. Fever does not mean they have any part of what they were being vaccinated against it just means the body is not happy with the foreign liquid so once the 24hrs passes all should be fine.
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    It is way more traumatic to us than it is to them usually. I have cried with the first shots for all of my boys. It hurts me to just think of it. I'm sorry you have to work tonight, we often don't realize how hard some days will be before they happen. Watch the little one (or have fiance) close for about 24 hrs to ensure she doesn't get a fever. Fever after vaccine is fairly common and not usually anything to worry about but you always want to treat it right away to reduce the risk of febrile seizure. Babies can be funny like that fine one minute and 102 the next. Fever does not mean they have any part of what they were being vaccinated against it just means the body is not happy with the foreign liquid so once the 24hrs passes all should be fine.
    Thank you for that they never told me to check her for fever, or that it could be so quick to change I actually just sent her daddy the message I hope he is awake to check her.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Nothing to really add that hasn't been posted already.
    Its so sad to see them hurting, especially if they need multiple shots.
    I try to have the doctor space them out as much as possible.
    For me, the heel prick the day after birth was agonizing to watch and I am considering refusing it for my fourth (currently preggo).
  • SerenaFisher
    Options
    Congrats on number four! I didn't see the heel pricks, luckily they did that when I wasn't there
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Options
    Congrats on number four! I didn't see the heel pricks, luckily they did that when I wasn't there

Thank you! Lucky you. My brother is more organic in lifestyle and refuses all shots, heel prick, vitamin k shot after birth, eye drops, etc. My niece is three now and growing wonderfully.
    Our first two we did it by the book or actually by the doctor's orders, got everything, all the shots, etc.
    We were much more relaxed with our third. I work from home and my husband was a SAHF so we didn't need to have our youngest two in childcare and decided to put a hold on the shots for her first year. She didn't receive one shot (except for the vitamin k after birth) until she turned one. We are spacing them out also, since she won't be in childcare until preschool for another two years.
    Some shots are required for the child to be in outside provided care but if you get private care or stay home with baby, you should really consider having the doctor space the shots so that they don't have to get multiples during one visit.
  • SunShineGirly11
    SunShineGirly11 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It is heartbreaking to watch! I usually give my baby some Tylenol right before we go to the doctor so it kicks in sooner, he still cries when they give them to him but it usually helps him soon after so his legs aren't to sore. Sometimes they can be even more sore the day after and I usually do the warm washcloths and message, with a couple of baths if he has seemed like it is really bad.

It is hard to watch but I just have to remember this way they won't get some horrible sickness that would make them more miserable than the shots. My first had the flu when he was six months and that was the most traumatic thing I have had to watch, because he was throwing up every five minutes for almost 3 hours. iIt was so sad!!
  • SerenaFisher
    Options

Thank you! Lucky you. My brother is more organic in lifestyle and refuses all shots, heel prick, vitamin k shot after birth, eye drops, etc. My niece is three now and growing wonderfully.
    Our first two we did it by the book or actually by the doctor's orders, got everything, all the shots, etc.
    We were much more relaxed with our third. I work from home and my husband was a SAHF so we didn't need to have our youngest two in childcare and decided to put a hold on the shots for her first year. She didn't receive one shot (except for the vitamin k after birth) until she turned one. We are spacing them out also, since she won't be in childcare until preschool for another two years.
    Some shots are required for the child to be in outside provided care but if you get private care or stay home with baby, you should really consider having the doctor space the shots so that they don't have to get multiples during one visit.
    I would love to have them space the shots but since we both work I will probably have to get them asap. :( I know it would be easier for her if I did..

@sunshinegirly I couldn't imagine that! I would probably rush her to the ER! Poor baby!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,079 Member
    Options
    I give babies vaccines as part of my job.

I agree it is worse for the parents - the babies are in blissful ignorance until the moment it happens and then they arre usually fine within a few minutes afterwards - although is good to keep an eye on their temperature afterwards and give baby panadol (or equivalent brand) if needed.

I agree its not much fun but would be way worse if your child were to get whooping cough, measles, meningitis, etc

Those advocating spacing out shots - why?
    I dotn see how that is any easier for the baby - better to get it done as infrequently as possible - medical recomendations re timing of vaccinations aside, I would prefer to have the experience as few times as possible rather than spreading it out.

Hope your bub is fine OP - most babies have little or no side effects.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    I work for a company that makes software that tracks and forecast immunizations. You do not want to skip any of the shots your baby is suppose to get or mess with the schedule. I know its hard but these diseases are so much worse than the shots. Your child might be healthy enough to survive but if she gets measles and spreads it (disease take days to have symptoms) to a baby who is too young to have had that shot, it may very well cost someone else their baby. I know I could never live with myself if knew I caused the death of someone else's baby and I certainly couldn't live with myself if I went against medical advise and caused the death of my own child.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    i didn't cry. my wife didn't cry. my son didn't cry.

we monitored his temp, but never needed anything. he was fine.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    What country do you live in? In the US, you have to be 21 for this.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The sooner they learn that life is pain, the better off they'll be.

ed. 4 sp.
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    OK. Am I the only one who cried when they gave my baby her shots? It was awful and worse I am at work and cannot be with her tonight... anyone have any suggestions what mommy can do to make the pain less? They suggested children's Tylenol and warm wash cloths to her legs which I already told my fiance (he's home with her) but any other things would be appreciated. Feel free to tell me how your babies first shots went.

And she is my second. But my son is ten and I forgot what it WaS like!

The tylenol should help with fever or muscle pain. For my DD, the muscle pain usually kicks in after around 3 hours, so I give the meds around 2 1/2 hours after the shot. other than that she should be fine, babies have such short memory, thank God :)
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me. In fact, my son is more pissed off about having to lay down than he is getting the shots. lol Once they are done and I pick him up, he is fine. :P
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Ah, shots. I remember when my son was about 3 or 4. We'd literally have to drag him in to the doctor's office for his shots. Husband would grab one end, and I'd grab the other. Our kid screaming bloody murder, kicking and thrashing with all his might. He was a strong little booger!

Funny part. We remember it very well, the kid doesn't remember it at all. No tips, but like someone else said, I think it's harder on us parents then it is the children.

Some good tips offered ^^, just know you're not alone feeling so bad about it. It is hard, for sure.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Options
    I give babies vaccines as part of my job.

I agree it is worse for the parents - the babies are in blissful ignorance until the moment it happens and then they arre usually fine within a few minutes afterwards - although is good to keep an eye on their temperature afterwards and give baby panadol (or equivalent brand) if needed.

I agree its not much fun but would be way worse if your child were to get whooping cough, measles, meningitis, etc

Those advocating spacing out shots - why?
    I dotn see how that is any easier for the baby - better to get it done as infrequently as possible - medical recomendations re timing of vaccinations aside, I would prefer to have the experience as few times as possible rather than spreading it out.

Hope your bub is fine OP - most babies have little or no side effects.

Hi. I space out my daughter's shots because I do believe its easier on her than getting two-four at one time. Not just the pain during the shots but the side effects she deals with afterward. Her pediatrician and I discuss and agree on the time table and it doesn't make a difference vs not spacing them out. I also waited with my third until she was a year old to begin shots. I don't like giving medication to infants just out of fear of overdose and not knowing long term side effects.
    I don't tell other people how to raise their children but I do like to tell them what works for me and try to encourage them to explore their options instead of blindly following the popular crowd. I always find it funny that alot of parents put 100% trust and faith of their children's life and well being in so many others and don't do any research. Especially considering the current debate over children's vaccines.
    Since you give vaccines, are you aware of the argument over them (autism-related arguments, mercury and other chemicals in vaccines with no apparent reason for them to be in there, etc) and what is your opinion? Have you ever experienced any of these problems with vaccines first hand? Or at all? Do you believe they are mis guided or untrue? Im very interested in this.
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Options
    I work for a company that makes software that tracks and forecast immunizations. You do not want to skip any of the shots your baby is suppose to get or mess with the schedule. I know its hard but these diseases are so much worse than the shots. Your child might be healthy enough to survive but if she gets measles and spreads it (disease take days to have symptoms) to a baby who is too young to have had that shot, it may very well cost someone else their baby. I know I could never live with myself if knew I caused the death of someone else's baby and I certainly couldn't live with myself if I went against medical advise and caused the death of my own child.

I was just wondering what you meant by mess with the schedule? Does that include working out a schedule of spaced out shots? Thats what I do and my pediatrician helped me make the time table and never said that it would risk her getting the diseases if we did it this way. She is the pediatrician for all three of my kids (9, 3 and 20 months) and will be for my fourth due in September. I'd really like to know what tracking and forecasting immunizations is. Does that mean you track and forecast the timetable that shots should be given? Would you be able to share that information? Thanks for any info you can share!