Anyone else love the healthy choice and lean cuisine meals?

Options
2»

Replies

• Tinkerbell1010
    Tinkerbell1010 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Loving the new healthy choice options. Great for a meal when you are short on time :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I like some of them. I like a few of the Smart Ones breakfast items too. I am very picky when it comes to which ones I buy. I stick to the ones that have 600mg of sodium or less. If they are higher than 600mg I pass, no matter how yummy it looks.
  • angelnectar69
    Options
    I love the lean cuisine's. They are the best as far as taste, easy for work and have the most variety. Healthy Choice, I feel lacks taste it's bland. Smart Ones are not so bad depending what you get. :smile:
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Yes I love them very much but only eat them once a week due to the sodium.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    They are made with crap, and they make up for the lack of fat by adding loads of sugar. Check out the ingredients list. You'd do far better with some grilled meat or fish and a big pile of veg.

I saw this documentary on them the other day, and the test subject put on 3lbs in two weeks eating low-fat ready meals as they left her ravenous and feeling grotty:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00yrvhg
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    The Lean Cuisine "culinary collection" are the tastiest, though a bit more pricey. I like the herb roasted chicken and the panini sandwiches. I only eat them at lunch on work days bc of the sodium content. The salad additions are awesome as well. Bistro chicken comes with a bacon viniagrette dressing that's to die for!
  • bermudamel
    bermudamel Posts: 212
    Options
    I used to eat them a lot but they are now an "every now and then" thing for me. I gotta watch the sodium! Actually I cut back too because a lot of the ones I used to love they stopped making (this always happens to me lol). One I like now that is cheaper is the Aldi's Fit and Trim Chicken Florentine Alfredo, it cooks up nicely and the chicken doesn't have that gummy texture to it I find a lot of the meals have.
  • kwilliam2
    kwilliam2 Posts: 35
    Options
    Those are all extremely processed (look at how long the ingredients list is) and as such I would never eat one. If something is completely premade and that cheap it pretty much means it has a bunch of cheap additives and you could be eating much more healthy things. The shorter the ingredients list, the better it is for you (in most cases), I truly believe that a mostly paleo diet is the way to go for long-term and short-term health and those meals certainly don't subscribe to it (though I don't agree with the hardcore paleos who throw away dairy, legumes, and grains).
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I used to LIVE off of these....and then I realized I could eat WAY more food for less calories and money if I just took a moment and made something for myself...and it's well known that the calories in these are actually way higher than what it says on the label. :ohwell:
  • LozPenguin
    LozPenguin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Some of them I like, some are pretty bland/yuck. I wouldn't have them as a solid part of my diet myself, as the cals are pretty high (considering I could cook something heartier, fresher and better tasting myself for the same or less cals) and as some have mentioned; the sodium! But they're handy to keep in the freezer for those days you're just out of time and have nothing in the fridge.

Haven't had one yet since I started my new lifestyle change though.
  • slimline1
    slimline1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I try to keep away from possessed foods too many added extras which, I imagine, is not too healthy in the long run. It might be because I am frugal that we mostly cook all our own food from scratch. Still if they are helping you to lose weight all well and good but I would only buy them as an occasional alternative. It can be a chore cooking your own food, so I sometimes overcook and freeze my meals. Good luck.
  • BrookeSarge
    Options
    I think they are delicious! But watch out, they are frozen meals filled with preservatives, chemicals and high in sodium! Better to stick to them when you're in a jam and have absolutely no time to cook!
  • baileybiddles
    baileybiddles Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Lean Cuisine. HOWEVER, I would say that while you're easing into calorie counting, they're a good choice, but I wouldn't continue to eat them for too log. Definitely very high in sodium and often in fat as well. Believe me.. They were my staple for quite some time, but eventually you become more comfortable with making fresh meals. If the convenience is the biggest thing for you and not the taste, try to prepare lunches for the week on sunday. Make a big pot of soup, or cook up a few chicken breasts and put them in salads, bake them with a little garlic salt, etc.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    No.