pregnancy & weight loss

Options
I just found out last week that I am pregnant! Yay! The main reason that I got on MFP was to lose weight to increase my chances of conceiving and to have a healthy pregnancy, so big thanks to all of you who encouraged & informed me along the way!

Now, I have a new set of concerns. According to my BMI, I am still obese - I need to lose about 8 more pounds until I am "overweight". I had planned on continuing to try to lose throughout the 1st trimester (making sure that I was eating all the proper nutrients, of course). But I am reading several articles online that recommend that pregnant women take in 2300 calories a day - YIKES!!! That is 1100 more than what I am eating right now - almost twice as much! I know these recommendations are for normal weight women, and there is always a little comment thrown in there about how overweight women should adjust their calorie intake accordingly. But they don't say how!

Also, I know it is generally considered a rule of thumb that women should increase their calories by 300 per day when they are pregnant, but does that also work if you have been on a reduced calorie diet for weight loss? I am thinking that is probably true if you are eating maintenance calories, not operating at a deficit.

So... all that to say - is it safe for me to continue losing weight for the next 2-3 months? Any ideas about the calorie intake I should be shooting for?

Replies

• stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor, nor have I ever been pregnant but I would not try to lose weight while pregnant. Your body will be under enough stress. And I've also heard that you can eat the same as usual except for the last trimester where you'll need to add 200-300 calories per day. definitely ask your doc about this one!!

congrats!!!
  • musicmom04
    musicmom04 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    hi! i would at least eat your maintainence calories until you talk to your doctor. i'm pregnant also, just starting my 2nd trimester today, actually, and as soon as i found out, i went to maintainance until i had a chance to talk to my doctor. she told me to add more calories on top of that, so, she wants me to eat around 2000 calories a day (my maintainence was 1600) she wants me to eat that much also because i'm active and continuing to exercise a few times a week. but i would definitely say maintainence is the very least you should be eating right now.
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I agree with musicmom. You should definitely talk to your dr. and not worry about trying to lose weight at this point. I've heard that overweight women don't necessarily need to gain weight during pregnancy, but you shouldn't try to lose and risk the chance of harming your baby.
    Congrats on your pregnancy and good luck!!!:flowerforyou:
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    I agreee with talking to your doctor. I do know that obese woman do not need to gain as much as other woman but your doctor will be able to let you know where you calories should be to maintain a healthy pregnancy. Make sure you let your doc know how many calories you are consuming and if you are working out. Congrats and good luck wiht your pregnancy.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Congrats, that's so awesome! I have "heard" that pregnant women only need an extra 300 calories a day, but I'm pretty sure that's on top of maintanince calories, not a deficit. I've also heard that you don't need any extra calories until the third trimester. But I would say definitely talk to your doctor because he/she will know best.

I just want to add though, BMI is useless, so don't listen to that. If you still have 8 pounds to go because you can see that you still want to lose that than that's great, but don't go just on BMI alone. I've lost 50 pounds, I feel great and all I want to lose now is my tummy, so about 15-20 more pounds, but my BMI still says I'm obese. Whatever! It's a very archaic way of judging weight because according to BMI, a body builder who has virtually no body fat would be obese.
  • turtlebaby
    turtlebaby Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I can tell you from personal experience that I lost weight during my first trimester while pregnant with both of my children (about 10 lbs, each time). Being considered "obese", my doctor was thrilled with those results-in fact he recommended that I didn't need to gain anymore than 5 lbs. duing pregnancy. BUT, I would always caution you to speak to your own doctor! Congrats to you and best of luck for a healthy and happy pregnancy-it really is one of the best times of your life!