Options
2»

Replies

• xampx
    xampx Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
    I bought a pair of UK16 jeans at the weekend :D

Last night I packed all my 20's and most of my 18's and put them in a bag for my sister. I did keep about 3 pairs of 18's so I have some to get messy in whilst camping in the summer. With a good belt!
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    wow!! congratulations!!
  • cainie19
    cainie19 Posts: 126
    Options
    This is absolutely wonderful. You must feel fantastic. I am so happy for you :) Congrats :flowerforyou: :happy:
  • ozigal
    ozigal Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Many thanks all... I think I will be in shock over this one for a good few days but it is a good type of shock

I'm glad to see that I am not the only one who has cried in a fitting room for the same reason :)
  • fattyfoodie
    fattyfoodie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Reading this has really motivated me! Congratulations on your success.
  • missjeanlouise
    missjeanlouise Posts: 80 Member
    Options

I started at a tight size 24 (245 pounds) and currently a 4 (132 lbs). I have those crazy tears at least once a day. Sometimes I don't recognize me in mirrors. Here's why:

I can walk up stairs without being winded. I can walk without pain. I can stand up and sit down without concentrating on my knees buckling. I can eat "whatever" and not be stared at with disgust. But the biggest reason for my happy tears is when people listen to me talk without the stare that means "Geez she's a waste of air". That gets me every time.

There are other things that have happened as well--I'm an overachiever in my professional life. Now that people know that I have met the goal of getting my weight under control, my work goals seem to be met not with "she'll never make that" but with a "Certainly she has thought this through, and if she believes, I believe." I also know it only gets better from here.

Congratulations on your successes. It's a wonderful thing...Cherish the moments and keep it going! :) You will be great at this!

This is such a bittersweet post.

Congrats, OP, and everyone here on this thread. The mental adjustment is really hard. Be gentle with yourselves.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, huge congratulations on your loss - well done, you must feel incredible.

And I hear you loud and clear - I used to be a UK 18 - 20 and, last year, I took a size 14 dress into the changing room. HUGE. Size 12, has to be. Too big on the boobs. Size 10 - blubbing in the changing room. And with a lovely red dress.

And, whilst the reason was positive, I felt like I'd been blindsided. Relax, though - that positive feeling will bloom and overcome any negative overtones in time.

Well done - and pick up the 14s next time!
  • alan589
    alan589 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Fabulous....I agree that it is hard to believe sometimes. I was around a 42" waist six months ago and am now c.33" . All the old clothes have gone....very expensive gettin rid of good clothes but its such a good feeling buying smaller stuff.

Psychologically I may still be fatter than I actually am but I am starting to believe the new me!!
  • CCusedtodance
    CCusedtodance Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievement! That is a great achievement and one that you should be proud of.

As for your breakdown in the changing room, that is also understanding and just yesterday I read a fascinating article on the internet about a woman that lost 180 pounds. She lost her weight quickly (due to surgery), only to find that her world did not change overnight and that everything did not come her way like the fairy tale some of us are fed. Every where you turn (magazines, television, strangers, etc.) feeds us the fairy tale that your life will magically change for the better when you are thin, but when it doesn't happen it is a shocker. She had never dealt with the internal demons that had caused her to become depressed or overeat. Perhaps you need to find a support group or professional help in order to "lose" those mental demons too.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    It's a total life change. It can be confusing and scatter and I understand the tears. It's steps towards a you that you may have never met before and your heart just isn't sure how to let thatperson is. Congrats on the changes, I hope you can open yourself up the the new, strange possibility that this changed person brings.
  • mli85maj
    mli85maj Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Amazing! Congratulations on your progress!
  • ozigal
    Options
    I think my closest friend (who is incredibly supportive) and some of you on this thread have hit the nail on the head. It is sort of like a happy "mourning" - learning to say goodbye to a part of yourself that has been there for so long and having to adjust to the changes. I did indeed feel blindsided when this happened yesterday and even today when I went out on my daily walk I caught a glimpse of myself in a few windows and thought "Is that really me?"
  • mandyneedtolose
    mandyneedtolose Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    YAY! for smaller sizes! :)
  • ozigal
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievement! That is a great achievement and one that you should be proud of.

As for your breakdown in the changing room, that is also understanding and just yesterday I read a fascinating article on the internet about a woman that lost 180 pounds. She lost her weight quickly (due to surgery), only to find that her world did not change overnight and that everything did not come her way like the fairy tale some of us are fed. Every where you turn (magazines, television, strangers, etc.) feeds us the fairy tale that your life will magically change for the better when you are thin, but when it doesn't happen it is a shocker. She had never dealt with the internal demons that had caused her to become depressed or overeat. Perhaps you need to find a support group or professional help in order to "lose" those mental demons too.

My demons are really quite straightforward. I just didnt care. I ate whatever tasted good whenever I wanted. If I really liked something I would over eat. Moderation wasnt a word and I never learned or cared about the nutritional value of food. I didnt eat because I was stressed or depressed. I just ate for the sake of it. Better to learn that lesson at 45 years old rather than never I suppose.
  • bodyrightdiva
    Options
    Thats awesome proud of ur grt work!!
  • olores
    olores Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    YES! I broke down too! After I had lost 50lbs, I was going through my closet and trying on everything...when I realized that EVERYTHING was too big, the tears started rolling, but soon became an undescribable balling, out of control ball!! The accomplishments, the success, the memories, the happy feelings, the what is to come, the shame .....everything hit me and I wept! Can totally relate! You have much to be PROUD of, congratulations!!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Yayyy! Congrats!!! I remember skipping sizes and it was crazy. I was wearing clothes that were too big so had no clue what size I was.

Keep up the great work!!
  • Pamko57
    Pamko57 Posts: 182
    Options
    I think it's totally normal to get emotional over something like this! Congrats on your success!
  • cook6609
    cook6609 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    congrats!!!! I had a similar experience. I went to buy some pants that fit me since my 18's were extremely loose. I grabbed a 16 thinking that since my 18's were loose then 16's must fit. I tried them on, and they fit. They were even a little loose. I tried on a 14 just to see how close I was to fitting in it. The best part was that I was able to fit them. They fit perfect. I was so excited!! I went between moments of extreme happiness and tears due to the fact that This was a huge NSV for myself. The nice part is that the 14's are getting loose on me now.

I know that without a doubt, this was a very big NSV for you. I'm so glad that you experienced this moment!!!
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    It is okay to be emotional. You have worked hard.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!