Same request for help please!

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Both carbs and fats are sources of energy, in different ways, but if you eat them together one will end up being deposited.
    Especially at dinner when you metabolism is already slowing down because you're about to go sleep. So don't go to sleep with a full stomach is also a good idea.
    Mixing too many foods in the same meal will make it hard for you body to process them, that's why the dissociated diet works. You don't have to completely avoid associating foods but have vegetables with meat, and eat the dairy separately.
    Fruits digest the fastest and tend to ferment, thus making you feel rather sick if you mix them with other heavy food.

this is just getting way too complex....eat less + work out = lose weight ..simple!

You may want to try eating in 30% deficit on non work out days and then eat up to around maintenance level on work out days...I have been doing this for past few weeks and like it....

Does your work out program involve deadlifts, squats, bench press, over head press, etc? If not, you should incorporate these movements into your work out regimen and build a program that has you hitting arms/legs/back/shoulders three times a week with cardio twice a week....
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Both carbs and fats are sources of energy, in different ways, but if you eat them together one will end up being deposited.
    Especially at dinner when you metabolism is already slowing down because you're about to go sleep. So don't go to sleep with a full stomach is also a good idea.
    Mixing too many foods in the same meal will make it hard for you body to process them, that's why the dissociated diet works. You don't have to completely avoid associating foods but have vegetables with meat, and eat the dairy separately.
    Fruits digest the fastest and tend to ferment, thus making you feel rather sick if you mix them with other heavy food.

Nonsense.

It doens't matter when you eat, what you eat, or what you eat together. If you eat at a deficit and hit your macros for the day, you will lose.
  • sullycc
    sullycc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey there,

do you tried out a scin caliper measurement?

Could it maybee that you build muscle and burned fat? You are going 4 times !! per week to the gym. I would say you got 200 - 300 gramms of muscle out there per month. 8-). Could that be? How you look in the mirror? More muscular? About the weight --- you can easily weight 3 kg more than at the morning only by drinking 3 litres of pure water? So look in the mirror and tell us if you find you look more muscular ...

You are in the right way not to starve yourself.

Cheers
    Hi, I haven't got a skin caliper, my bathroom scales do have a BF% on them and that hasnt moved. I thought I couldnt build muscle if i was ina calorie deficit? Or am I doing too much reading and getting confused? I never took measurements at the beginning so I thought it was pointless to do it now. Perhaps I should. I guess I dont have quite as much of a struggle to get the skinny jeans on that I used to have, and yes, the mirror at the gym when I am lifting those dumbells show a bit more muscle. Perhaps I should stop worrying about a number! It is just being english, we do stones and pounds, I am dead on 10 stone and cant move it, where as I have always been in the 9's! Psychological isnt it, lol
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Bottom line is that you have to create a calorie deficit to lose weight. If you are indeed not losing any weight or inches, then you apparently are not eating below your TDEE. Online calculators can only give you a guideline of how many calories you should be needing for maintenance. Your own body experience will give you a more accurate number. Just because someone else may be losing weight eating 1800 cals a day, doesn't mean that you can.
    Or you are possibly underestimating how many calories you are eating. Weigh your food, instead of using measuring cups. Log EVERYTHING. Do you have 'cheat days'? If you don't have much of a deficit built in, then you can easily undo that deficit with one cheat meal or day.
    Are you 'eating back' exercise calories? If so, you may be OVERestimating the calories you are burning. The database on MFP and computers on gym machines can be grossly over estimating your burns. Those machines are set up for younger, fit males, not 40 yo females.

Losing weight shouldn't be as complicated as some people make it. If you aren't losing doing what you have been doing, then try lowering your calories a bit. Just don't lower your protein when you do. Cut out any empty calories. And be patient. Getting frustrated because the scale doesn't move is the quickest way to give up completely. Focus more on creating healthy eating habits for life.

Losing after 40 is a bit harder, but it can be done. I am 49.
    Hang in there.
  • sullycc
    Options
    Bottom line is that you have to create a calorie deficit to lose weight. If you are indeed not losing any weight or inches, then you apparently are not eating below your TDEE. Online calculators can only give you a guideline of how many calories you should be needing for maintenance. Your own body experience will give you a more accurate number. Just because someone else may be losing weight eating 1800 cals a day, doesn't mean that you can.
    Or you are possibly underestimating how many calories you are eating. Weigh your food, instead of using measuring cups. Log EVERYTHING. Do you have 'cheat days'? If you don't have much of a deficit built in, then you can easily undo that deficit with one cheat meal or day.
    Are you 'eating back' exercise calories? If so, you may be OVERestimating the calories you are burning. The database on MFP and computers on gym machines can be grossly over estimating your burns. Those machines are set up for younger, fit males, not 40 yo females.

Losing weight shouldn't be as complicated as some people make it. If you aren't losing doing what you have been doing, then try lowering your calories a bit. Just don't lower your protein when you do. Cut out any empty calories. And be patient. Getting frustrated because the scale doesn't move is the quickest way to give up completely. Focus more on creating healthy eating habits for life.

Losing after 40 is a bit harder, but it can be done. I am 49.
    Hang in there.
    Hi, I may have to drop some calories, although I didnt want to! I do weigh my food, I dont use cups. I dont have a cheat day as such, just a cheeky glass of wine and chocolate at a weekend, although everything is logged.

I arent eating back the calories burned for exercise as I am trying to do the TDEE-20% rather than following MFP. I was eating 1200 + all my exercixe calories back but stopped losing doing that so that is when I switched to the TDEE method. The good thing is I arent gaining!

I will drop a few calories and see how I go.

Thanks
  • nikitu5
    nikitu5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You misread my comment,. I was not advocating the dissociated diet. I was simply mentioning that combining fewer foods leads to better digestion.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I think that your TDEE - 20% might be too high. I am 45 weigh 148 and eat 1860 calories a day to maintain.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    (Sorry, I know it sucks:(. ). Friend me if you want to.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    refeed day. Problem solved.
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You misread my comment,. I was not advocating the dissociated diet. I was simply mentioning that combining fewer foods leads to better digestion.

Oh really?
  • wikitbikit
    wikitbikit Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I kinda hate to comment because the variety of advice in this thread is starting to feel like throwing it at the wall and seeing what sticks, but...

My understanding is that as you get closer to goal weight, you don't make your deficit as large. Instead of 20%, you only cut 5 or 10%. And yes, it's going to be slow--probably measured in tenths of pounds per months instead of whole pounds--but it does eventually get there.

This is just based on what I've read though. I'm at the far opposite side of the spectrum, but that's sort of why it sticks in my head. If you have a lot to lose, you can have a big deficit. If you don't have much to lose, you need a much smaller deficit.

Good luck, either way :)
  • bdamaster60
    Options

who gives a **** just eat your food!
  • sullycc
    Options
    refeed day. Problem solved.

What is a 'refeed day'! Sorry for the ignorance.
  • lisamarie229
    Options
    I'm a former fighter so cutting fat is kind of an expertise for me. The red flag I saw was perhaps spending too much time weight lifting. Now before everyone freaks, yes muscle burns fat and yes weight lifting is great for you, however, the workout itself is not as good at burning fat and calories as is a solid cardio routine. Your goal of a workout should be in the sweat your body is producing and how much energy is being expended :)

And I'm not sure why you're being told to cut calories off of a 1,200 calorie diet. Just work out harder and more days a week and you'll see the results you want.
  • sullycc
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies and help.

I think I need to reread it all as I am more confused now than when I started.
    :laugh:
  • bdamaster60
    Options
    I'm a former fighter so cutting fat is kind of an expertise for me. The red flag I saw was perhaps spending too much time weight lifting. Now before everyone freaks, yes muscle burns fat and yes weight lifting is great for you, however, the workout itself is not as good at burning fat and calories as is a solid cardio routine. Your goal of a workout should be in the sweat your body is producing and how much energy is being expended :)

And I'm not sure why you're being told to cut calories off of a 1,200 calorie diet. Just work out harder and more days a week and you'll see the results you want.

relying on the exercise portion of the day to use up remaining calories is impracticable. Sweat is not an indication of fat loss. Total daily calorie expenditure is far more important than calorie expenditure during a single workout session. Weightlifting = more muscle = great caloric expenditure without having to exercise.
  • lisamarie229
    Options
    [/quote]

relying on the exercise portion of the day to use up remaining calories is impracticable. Sweat is not an indication of fat loss. Total daily calorie expenditure is far more important than calorie expenditure during a single workout session. Weightlifting = more muscle = great caloric expenditure without having to exercise.
    [/quote]

Sweat is an indication of energy exerted ... aka more caloric burn. And like I said originally I know that weightlight is great but as for this person in particular it seems she needs more cardio for the results she wants.
  • lisamarie229
    Options
    Not sure why that didn't quote right...