no stove or oven help!

i don't have a stove or an oven right now, and won't until sometime next week. i have a toaster oven, but its not like a small oven, i don't kbnow if i can cook stuff from raw like chicken. and i don't want to risk it.

what are some healthy (and cheap) meals i can make with a toaster oven and a microwave?

Replies

• deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    You can do things like Baked potatoes or baked sweet potatoes in the microwave as well as corn, most veggies can be microwaved as well.

In the store, you should also be able to find things like pre-cooked chicken breast. You can heat 1 of them up in the microwave and add it to a salad or just eat it plain. If you have a bbq grill, you can always grill meats and veggies

Ask around and see if anyone has an electric skillet you can borrow for a while. They are great and you can use them just like a frying pan. If you have a crockpot, go check out a website called Skinny Taste and look for her crockpot recipes. She as some wonderful ones. You can fix something and put the rest in the frig then microwave to reheat.

Hope this helps
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Eggs, bacon, chicken,casseroles and soups in the microwave. Or go for a lot of fresh salads...do you have a bbq?
    I bbq'd when I was having the kitchen remodelled.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    With a microwave and a toaster oven you can cook nearly anything you can with a regular cooker. I survived for three months with just a microwave and got very imaginative - I even found a way to do bacon! Nor problem with chicken, Google "microwave chicken recipes" and you'll find ways to make all your favourite meals.
  • jbruced
    jbruced Posts: 210 Member
    IMO, the key to cooking meats with a microwave is using a lower power setting and cook gently until done.
  • ijavagypsy
    ijavagypsy Posts: 109 Member
    Re: toaster oven: I do Coolio's fork-tender steak recipe and my husband does chicken breasts, etc., all summer long to avoid heating the house. It saves on electricity, too! Then, we reheat the leftovers in the 'wave. :happy: :happy:
  • thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    You can steam veggies in the microwave.

Grab some pre cooked chicken at the store... normally you can get bags of precooked chicken strips. Grab a tortilla/pita/naan, spread some spaghetti/pizza sauce on it, top with a bit of cheese, veggies and the chicken. Pop in the toaster oven until cheese is melted.

Make a huge salad with the chicken on it. Or get some deli chicken, turkey, ham, etc for wraps, pitas, salads, etc. They can also be put on a pizza too.

Steam some veggies in the microwave to have as a side. You can cook rice and such in the microwave too.
  • ChrisinGA
    ChrisinGA Posts: 116 Member
    we do not use the stove or oven cause there gas and we don't like gas, We have a toaster over we cook all out chicken patties, nuggets, bread sticks, garlic bread, small one person pizzas' in it, works great
    we also have a two burner electric stove like thing we cook things need to boil. and I have a pizza maker i cook lot of things n that. but the toaster oven is used a lot
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Invest in a crock pot.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    I'm always a fan of mini english muffin pizzas with lots of veggies, marinara and a little cheese, toasted up to perfection. Usually around 200/300 calories for both sides of the muffin (2 pizzas) depending on toppings, maybe even fewer calories.

You can roast veggies with a little olive oil and garlic ...

You can always do low-calorie wraps with lunch meat/cheese/veggies.

Tuna or chicken (canned) made into salad

Hidden valley steamers (the broccoli/cheese one is yummy)

Go to Goodwill or a thrift shop and find a decent Crockpot like Lorina said. They usually have tons of them as well as the George Foreman grills you could grill your meats on.
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Pita Pizzas! Breakfast sandwiches (sausage/bacon and egg muffins), grilled veggies, lots of salads, and get a crock pot! You can make everything in the crock pot