have to give up the gym :(

Options
hey guys!
Come may my contract runs out and I'll have to give up my gym membership (my husband recently lost his job and has to go back to study so we are now on one wage)

I've ordered the you are your own gym book and hopefully can start jogging, but I'm really gonna miss the push I get from the classes at the gym.

Anyone wanna share how well they've done WITHOUT the gym so I dont feel so depressed?

Replies

• zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I've had some of my best results without the gym. Get some dumbbells & go nuts on You Tube. I love Fitness Blender & Be Fit Channels & have also had good results with Jillian Michaels workouts.
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You can get the 30 day shred on YouTube :flowerforyou:
  • 20KGToLoose
    Options
    Get some cheap kettle bell's or Dumbbells of eBay. Use them along with loads of work out videos from YouTube.

I also gave myself a challenge to do 100 sit ups for 100 days, which i started in the office and now everyone in the office does is 5:00pm sharp to keep me motivated and are supporting me.
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I gave up my gym membership after I discovered Insanity. Best move ever :drinker:
  • skinnymalinkyscot
    skinnymalinkyscot Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Hi there, walking is a good form of exercise and available to all free of charge, it is good for all round health, I would also recommend an exercise bike for use indoors, I have mine sitting next to my laptop and watch youtube music videos, I started off only able to pedal to one song eg 3 minutes long before i got out of breath and have now worked up to half an hour every day. Ive also seen keep fit vidoes if people like aerobics in my local poundland, just recently they had the biggest loser workout dvd
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    InsaneHomeFatloss.com. Insane workouts with nothing more then a towel. ofcourse you have to buy the program or *cough* download a torrent :)

or jogging/swimming, walking is fine but doesn't burn many calories unless you walk for atleast an hour at 5mph.
    could also do core/resistance training at home with nothing more then general houselhold furniture and items probably in hubbies shed :)
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Probably the best thing you ever did.

bodyweight exercises and probably kettlebell - all free on You Tube - and You Are Your Own Gym is s great way in to bodyweight exercises.

Look on it not as losing your gym membership but as gaining your freedom to workout the way you want to.
  • MicroHez
    MicroHez Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I haven't stepped foot in a gym. I do a lot of walking (eventually running), use the Jillian Michaels DVDs, and play Just Dance, Zumba and Wii Fit on the Wii. In two and a half months I'm down 33 lbs. I think I am faring just fine WITHOUT the gym.
  • AthenaErr
    AthenaErr Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Cant afford the gym right now either but actually not sure if I would if I could anymore, running, 30DS, skipping rope.It saves so much time to just exercise at home or outdoors
  • Ascolti_la_musica
    Ascolti_la_musica Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    My gym is evil, so we're paying them until the contract expires, but haven't set foot in there since a few months before I joined MFP.

You can do YouTube videos. There are TONS of full length workout videos available. Fitness Blender is popular. I enjoyed Leslie Sansone's videos until I was able to walk comfortably outside.

Invest in a good barbell set, and some dumbbells. You can do quite a lot with just your body, but lifting is fun.

There is absolutely no reason to go to the gym unless you want the social environment you find there. You can get an excellent workout at home!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I haven't stepped foot in a gym in 6 years and I am in better overall physical shape than during any of my days as a "gym rat".
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I've never once set foot in a gym. Get some weights, or some DVDs (even check out Youtube).

You'll do fine!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Sucks about his job and you having to give up your gym. But like everyone's said there are tons of other options.

Nerdfitness.com has a lot of workouts for people who don't have a gym.
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had to quit the gym too! I totally understand. The gym is such a time to release everything...away from home. I can tell you this though...i am still doing my thing. I have a exercise ball, i have weights, i have a trampoline, videos....and i try to find things on the inernet too. Just try to switch up your routine everday. PUt your gym clothes in the room you plan to work out in ahead of time the night before...no excuses. If you enjoy exercising...you will find a way to make it work! Keep going....
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hate the gym.. just saying :p

Do all my exercise at home
  • adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    subbing
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Nerdfitness.com has a lot of good bodyweight workouts that don't require a gym. You can do a decent bit of resistance training and cardio from home with little or no equipment.
  • Eileen889
    Eileen889 Posts: 117
    Options
    Don't worry about the gym. As others on here have mentioned, there are plenty of good exercises that can be done at home. While I have a gym membership, I mostly workout at home due to the convenience that it offers VS driving to the gym and having to wait to use the equipment on days when it is too crowded there.
  • Cbefitforlife
    Cbefitforlife Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    JIllian Michaels will tear you up! She is awsome if you want to get toned!
  • rapat
    rapat Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My advice
    My current routine is:
    1. Run 2-3 times/week on a treadmill (You can do this outdoors to save money)

2. Alternate lifting between: