How Long Do You Walk Your Dog?

Krizzle4Rizzle
Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
What kind of dog do you have? How long do you walk him/her?

Replies

• dezcast
    dezcast Posts: 429 Member
    Sheppard/wolf hound and a Lab/Rottie. Each gets walked 1 hr in the morning and 1 hr at night and an off leash run in the afternoon.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 339 Member
    Geman Shepherd.

I try not to walk her too long at night because she takes soooo long, its like she has to inspect every blade of grass.

So I wouldnt call it a walk, I'd call it a slow dawdle..
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    I have my two Chihuahuas and I typically walk them for 30 minutes at a time. They're a bit older and get tired quickly so I like to take them to the dog park where they can walk or just sunbathe for a bit if they want.
  • jmyotter
    jmyotter Posts: 39 Member
    I have two boxers, and it depends on the time of the year. When it is below freezing it's like we're out there with short sleeves, so they don't like to be out long...so it is either a couple short walks, or just letting them out the back door to do their business...occasionally running in a couple of "laps" around the yard. spring and fall, a 1 hour walk plus outside playtime a day.

hot part of the summer, late night (cooler) walk for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    I have a Pitbull, she is my running buddy. She is on the smaller side for a Pit (what they call a Pocket Pit), so I don't take her on my longer runs, but she will do a soild 3 to 5 miles with me on my short days. She is the best running buddy a girl could ask for, nobody comes near me when I have her on the leash LOL
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    However long it takes me to find a victim.

I mean half an hour.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    If I had a dog, I'd walk him for 10 hours a day. We'd go to a meadow and frolic. He'd be my best fraaaand.

I want a dog so bad. :sad:
  • 1wileecoyote
    1wileecoyote Posts: 1 Member
    My girlfriend and I have a Gerberian Shepsky (German Shepherd and Siberian Husky mix) named Spirit Puppy. Spirit gets walked about 30 minutes in the morning before I head off to work. In the evenings, we take Spirit to the running track next to our house and let her off the leash to run at her own pace while we jog around the track. She is quite entertaining to watch as we go around the track. She will be running at a full sprint until she catches a scent and will dart off in a new direction without losing any speed. We will usually jog until Spirit is tired and finds a spot next to the track to lay down and watch us jog. By then we've gone a couple miles without noticing, and Spirit had run at least double the distance.
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    I have a Black Lab and a Hound mix, i take them for trail walks for about 3 miles off leash. In the summer time I take them mountain biking with me which usually is about a 7 mile ride. I won't take them with me on rides longer than 7 miles.
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Still in hibernation mode here, but as it gets nicer out, we will walk our border collie/shepherd mix on our jogging route every day; takes about 45 minutes to an hour. Despite it being so fracking cold out, we also take her to the dog park every day where she gets most of her exercise done. We have a group of people we walk with who all have dogs, so we will walk around a loop as the dogs run and play.
  • I have a terrier mix who gets walked around an hour at night. Poor little girl isn't allowed to stop and smell every blade of grass like she wants.
  • emiliewright
    emiliewright Posts: 148 Member
    It's too cold to walk my shih tzu, Gary outside, his wiw paws freeze.

So...not nearly enough, but in the spring/summer/fall we usually head out for a 20 minute jont each evening!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    is this a euphemism?
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    is this a euphemism?

If it is - I change my answer to 2 hours a day minimum.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    I have a German Shepherd and I walk him for however long it takes him to go. Probably 10-15 minutes? Most of that time is spent playing in the snow and sniffing stuff. If it's really cold out in the winter he does his business super fast LOL. In the summer time though I take him for longer walks -- like 3-4 miles -- so that he can burn off some of his energy.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    We have a boxer...running him is tricky because boxers get tired/lazy and once he decides to sit down, there is no moving him (They're quite stubborn).

I haven't been walking him often enough because of the cold weather-but I aim for 25 minutes-1 hour daily...In the summer I try to walk him in the morning before it gets too hot.

Walking him more now that we're getting another dog.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    is this a euphemism?

that is what i thought...totally disappointed in this thread.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    2 Yappy Yorkies (FULL GROWN TOO :laugh: ) and I open the backyard door and let them run, play, pee, poop and frolic for about 5 minutes every few hours.

What? I'm lazy!
  • n2thenight24
    n2thenight24 Posts: 1,651 Member
    4.5 lb chihauhau, that I just let outside in the fenced yard until she wants to come in. I don't think she has ever stayed out for more than 10 minutes in her life.
  • 3 year old shepherd/collie/boxer/staffy mix. She gets a 20-25 min walk in the morning from my wife and then I take her on a 45-min run when I get home from work (3 to 4 miles, depending on the route we go on).

8576746495_4c45ffd2e4.jpg