Need good HIIT program?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
After I am doing training for my current 1/2 marathon ( April 7th !!). I wanted to replace my usual running with a HIIT session 3x a week. I am heavy lifting now 3x a week (Stronglifts) and would like to burn fat and have read this is a good way to do that.

Anyone have a good HITT program they can share? Is it easier (since you are making adjustments to speed) to do it on the treadmill or elliptical?

Thanks for any feedback !

Replies

• adopt321
    adopt321 Posts: 111
    Options
    Subbing. I was thinking about this last night.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    The BeFit channel on YouTube. Has two 30 day programs, one for abs, one for butts. In those programs are a couple of really good HIIT videos that I enjoy. The abs one has an intense AMRAP session, and there's a Tabata style and another HIIT interval style routine in the Butt one. All are under 10 minutes, you could do them twice if you wanted. Their BeFit in 90 (the older one, I haven't tried the new, more intense one), also has some HIIT-like workouts. The Level Three lower body pllyo stuff is intense. Blogilates has some HIIT, too, I've only done one, it was pretty good. I've heard really good things about fitnessblender.com as well.

For doing it on the treadmill, you have to be careful, but I just sprint all out for 30 seconds (usually at a 7mph pace, that's fast for me), then put my feet on the rails for 30 since there's not enough time to reduce the belt speed then speed it back up, really. On the elliptical, you could pick your resistance, then go all out for 30 seconds, then go really slow for 30 seconds.

You can also just find some favorite things like groiners, high knees, jumping jacks, burpees, plank jacks, mountain climbers, jump squats, etc. and do those for 30 seconds each in a circuit.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    thedailyhiit.com
    angrytrainerfitness.com
    nerdfitness.com
    zuzkalight.com (she's on youtube a lot)
    lovingfit.com
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • sixpacklady
    sixpacklady Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I like to do it on the treadmill in 5 minute intervals for usually about 20-30 mins. So I will go at about 5.0 speed and then do pyramids up from there until I get to about 9.0 or 10.0 (30-45 sec sprints) and then come back down.