Tips on getting rid of the dreaded "muffin top"

Options
Seriously, is there a way to get rid of it? That's where I'm carrying most of my unwanted fat, and I haven't a clue where to even start on getting rid of it. My thighs and upper body are doing pretty well, but I just can't do anything about my waist and belly. Any tips? Thank you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Dfracassa
    Dfracassa Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    You are about to get bombarded with crap from everyone on here saying, "You can't spot reduce!" "Eat better!" "Blaaarrrggghhh!" But don't get discouraged. Cardio, weights, and a healthy diet are all that will work. Unfortunately, we women hold onto fat there on the off chance that we get pregnant (or if we've already been pregnant) and it's nearly impossible to get rid of. Give it time, and work hard to tone the rest of your body, and you will see a change. I promise! :smile:
  • anaquay
    anaquay Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    From what I've read on other posts about this topic, the answer is nothing. You can't choose which area the fat disappears from, you just have to carry on with diet and exercise and it will eventually go. I have the same problem, although I'm only at the start of my journey, and I know I'm going to have trouble shifting this problem area. Hopefully I'm wrong and there is a 'miracle' solution out there but I'm not holding my breath :smile:
  • kf4vkp
    kf4vkp Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. You're down three pounds according to your counter... it took me 10 before that started going away any...

You can do it...
  • sammykat76
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Something to go with that, are there exercises that are good for the core that are also easy or helpful for the back. I have a bad lumbar section and I'm scared to do any of the really hard core stuff.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit = weight loss
    Exercise = fitness

Simple. Sensible deficit in calories eating 80-90% healthy food and move more and you will see results. Just be patient :flowerforyou:
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    sorry i misread the post thought you said the hips which is what i thoguht was the muffin top, the overhang above the hips :)

good diet high in fat burning foods and core training. have lost very little noticeable around my waistline (the stomach) in the past month but there is obviously some reduction as my clothes aren't as tight around the middle and the overhang just above my hips has flattened out and my love handles look less rounded so there is progress. and that was primarily a focus on a 30-40 min cardio circuit to get he heart going and the fat burning then jump to core resistance training/weights (abdominals, backside, back and calf muscles) least thats what my trainer suggested for me and so far it is having an effect.

Ultimately it's upto the body where the fat comes from, 3lbs lost is most likely from everywhere not just 1 part, the body in theory takes from all areas at once not just the closest source so in time all areas will have reduced. The start of the journey is more likely to be visceral fat (fat around the organs and in the arteries) which is what i'm seeing i think since according to the measuring tape i've lost almost nothing in the usual areas conversly my arms and legs are getting more toned and more muscle yet the scales say a steady 6Kg lost in 4 weeks not fluctuating too much in the opposite direction, so there must be something being lost that is counteracting the increased weight of the muscles which weighs more then fat. could be water weight but i like to think it's what i really need to lose :)

Think positive and stick with it, we are all in the same boat it will pay off eventually if you persist and keep at a steady pace. but could take years. The only way to do otherwise is to get surgery and even then there's no guarentee you'll look or feel any better.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    30 Day Shred helped my Costco muffin turn into a mini-muffin!

See?
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/919010-my-30-ds-results-sweeet-burn
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Seriously, is there a way to get rid of it? That's where I'm carrying most of my unwanted fat, and I haven't a clue where to even start on getting rid of it. My thighs and upper body are doing pretty well, but I just can't do anything about my waist and belly. Any tips? Thank you! :flowerforyou:

The second post and third post were pretty much spot on in a fashion.

You can not spot reduce but you can help to tone certain areas of your body.

Have you thought about hula hooping? You don`t have to buy one even! just do the exercises as though you had one?
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options

The second post and third post were pretty much spot on in a fashion.

You can not spot reduce but you can help to tone certain areas of your body.

Have you thought about hula hooping? You don`t have to buy one even! just do the exercises as though you had one?

Wii Fit has a hula hoop section :)
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/nutrition-101-eat-to-burn-fat.html

Pretty good selection of foods to reduce fat. Water is definitely one of them. :)
  • mjrkearney
    mjrkearney Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Of all things, I have the type of body that has a muffin top when I'm not even wearing pants. Since my belly fat is going to be the last to go, I just kind of suck it up and keep doing what I'm doing: 60 minutes of cardio 3 days a week, interspersed with hour-long walks, lifting days when I can get them in, and the occasional 2 hour burn on Saturdays.