Shin splints and other tribulations

Options
1258936 Posts: 115 Member
Hello! Here is a (almost) brief history. I am a 33 year old married mother of one, joined MFP in September of 2012, I went from pretty sedentary to joining the Y in December of 2012. I took classes there about 3 x a week for that month, then in January I committed to a Total Body Sculpt (TBS) M/W/F class - weight lifting and some cardio 45 mins. Been very consistent with it and a month ago added cardio days (30 mins on the elliptical followed by 20 mins of freestyle swimming) T/TH/Sat.

Found a 5K (Color Me Rad) coming in 10 weeks to my area and decided to start the C25K program. Also, this week I have added about 5 mins of light swimming after TBS.

Last time I ran a 5K was in 2009 (was a newbie then, too) and the whole time I trained I suffered with shin splints. Thus my reluctance to returning to it, but this time around I feel compelled - I want to be able to run a 5K. I spent time googling how to avoid shin splints and have come across some great info about footfalls and posture and wearing proper shoes.
I aim to have the ball of my foot strike the ground and try to lean slightly forward - 2 sessions of week 1 C25K later and I am ok. I am saving for a new pair of running shoes, will go to a local running store and have them help me choose the best pair.

My question is this: Will I always have to focus on those things or will it eventually just happen and do you have any other advice for novice runners that you wish you knew when you started?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    If you get a good pair of shoes fitted for YOU, it will help tremendously. Of course there are other factors with shin splints not shoe related, but this is the best 1st step to preventing issues. Also, make sure you warm up before and stretch really well after.

Also, watch the surface you train on--asphault and sidewalks are really hard on the feet and shins. For me, I really have no choice but if you can get to a good track or softer surface, start there.

Tips:
    1) Stretch after and even later following a run--a couple times a day
    2) Running buddies are awesome. Find one or more if you can even if you don't talk while you run--they are awesome motivation just to have them close by
    3)Strength training--keep it up because it helps runners more than they realize.
    Good luck!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The longer you run the more natural it becomes and your body learns to use the most productive way. I find my best runs now are the days I totally zone out to my music and don't think about what I'm doing at all.
  • louiseshaw88
    louiseshaw88 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    1. Make sure your hydrated BEFORE you start running - if you go out running and are even slightly dehydrated the damage has already been done.
    2. Get fitted for a pair of shoes that are best suited for you
    3. Do not tie your laces too tight this messes with the blood flow in your feet
    4. Stretch before and after and during a run

These are what helped me :)
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your time. :) I love this community. I will definitely do all of this.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I too suffered achilles tendonitis and shin splints for years wearing shoes for over pronation. Turned out all I had to do was learn to run barefoot or minimalist shoe style and hey presto, I am injury free so far (a year now) It does not suit everyone as you have to strengthen the calves and ankles, but after time, it feels so much easier, I even shaved 9 mins off my 5 km time and I am 2 stone heavier than the last time I trained for running up to half marathon distance.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Personally, I had to get a good lightweight running shoe with good arch support (I have high arches) to get eleviate my shin splints. I can still feel them when I am running, but not for days like before.