What gets you through your workout?

Options
Food, protein shakes or supplements whichever! what's get you through it? I know in time I will build up my endurance but for now I need a little boost- don't want to watch the clock! Please share with me. thanks

Kristina

Replies

• skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Just knowing I get to eat more, I swear thats my main motivation, kinda sad huh?
  • Crickks
    Crickks Posts: 94
    Options
    What gets me through my workout... this site, keeping up with others and the mirror (I see the results)...plus knowing this workout will end soon!!
  • Crickks
    Crickks Posts: 94
    Options
    Just knowing I get to eat more, I swear thats my main motivation, kinda sad huh?

Lmao......love it!!
  • hannawoodc
    Options
    Listening to music and reading a good book on the cardio machine that I chose for the day.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    The thought of myself in that bathing suit is what gets me through it! :cry:
  • StarryEyedGirl
    Options
    I feel like I need more energy physically... I assume it has to be done with food or vitamins. getting more calories to eat is a big encoragement LOL
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    OK no laughing!!

Remembering how Bruce Lee trained his body and some of his early recorded workout makes me keep on keeping on...
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Rod Stewart! I swear 'Baby Jane' makes me run faster!

Plus, the smug feeling I get after a good workout, and sometimes I get that 'can't wait till my next workout' feeling which is awesome!
  • TinaAnn25
    TinaAnn25 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Knowing that I am one step closer to a better and healthier body. I drag myself to the gym but I am so glad I went and I feel good.
  • smartspork
    Options
    the chocolate brownie I had the night before and also if I group exercise the competition apsect of it.. I love beating someone else!!
  • cheermom614
    Options
    Knowing that once I'm done, I"ll feel like I've accomplished something for the day. And I agree, getting to eat more is a big plus!
  • jrrtubbs
    jrrtubbs Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This will sound silly, I know.

My workout's go much quicker when I'm air drumming or air guitar-ing. It works better when my hair is a little long-ish and I can whip it around.

I've played in a few bands in my day, always guitar, wishing I could play drums. It's been a while since I played in front of people, but doing that while I ride the bike tricks my mind into thinking the sweat is from rocking out and not from working out. Before I know it, the 30 minutes is over and I say....THANK YOU CHICAGO, GOOD NIGHT.

I get some weird looks at the Y.
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Mostly it the music. I make sure to have high energy music when I am at the gym, but when I am home doing Power 90, I just keep keep watching the time tick away. Also, I know that whether I workout for an hour or half hour, that is such a small portion of my day, BUT has such great benefits...not to mention, as one of the other posters commented, the fact that you can eat a little more.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    In the winter my workout is elliptical, which is boring. I do it while watching the morning news,,, so in that case "Distraction" is what gets me through it.

When the weather's better I pretty much only do things I enjoy doing, so I don't need anything to "get me through it". I'll take off and do 20 miles on my bike,,, but I love riding my bike, so it's no struggle. Stuff like that.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I feel like I need more energy physically... I assume it has to be done with food or vitamins. getting more calories to eat is a big encoragement LOL

If I have a hardcore slump before a planned workout, I resort to good-old-fashioned coffee as a pick me up.

Also, I always eat an hour before I workout, usually a combo of carbs and protein (like an apple with peanut butter or string cheese and some dried fruit)

HTH:flowerforyou:
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    The thought of a healthy pregnacy and baby. That's all I need to think about to get my energy and motivation back up.
  • rschwa
    rschwa Posts: 27
    Options
    Heh, These are all good 'motivations' to get through a workout, but I think th OP was talking about actual energy.

once you get past about 40 minutes of aerobic exercise, that's when the real action starts happening with respect to fat burning, etc. If you find yourself starting to conk out, a little bit of sports drink or a commercial energy gel can give you a little burst of blood sugar to get your second wind going.

I myself am starting to do some research into what it takes me to do >1 hour workouts (bike rides), what I'll have to eat on the road to keep me going.

But the basic answer to your question is simple carbs are best for fast energy. Glucose.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Honestly it depends on the time of day. If it's after work and I'm on the treadmill it's watching Gilmore Girls...I just have to watch the whole hour (even though I've seen them all before). If it's during the day I usually have my best friend with me and she pushes me though it. If I'm doing weights...I focus on Tosca Renos body...I want that body. I want to be strong, fit, and energized.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    Heh, These are all good 'motivations' to get through a workout, but I think th OP was talking about actual energy.

once you get past about 40 minutes of aerobic exercise, that's when the real action starts happening with respect to fat burning, etc. If you find yourself starting to conk out, a little bit of sports drink or a commercial energy gel can give you a little burst of blood sugar to get your second wind going.

I myself am starting to do some research into what it takes me to do >1 hour workouts (bike rides), what I'll have to eat on the road to keep me going.

But the basic answer to your question is simple carbs are best for fast energy. Glucose.

Darn - I let my Bruce Lee secret out for no good reason?? :sad:
  • pelelovesme1011
    Options
    My motivation is the strong want of me in a bikini! I've never been able to wear one before so I keep that image in the front of my head through my entire workout and it usually gives me that extra push to keep going.