elliptical question

Options
I finally finally got my elliptical and up until today have been getting on it everyday. (today my 2 year old has been sitting on my lap almost ALL day-doc says he got a consussion yesterday-so I've just been mommying all day today...) anyway, I was wondering...is it better to do a longer period of time at less resistance or more resistance for less time. The other day I had the resistance set at #8 and only managed 5 minutes at a time. nearly wore me out. But another time I set it on 4 and was able to do 20 minutes. which is better? several 5 minute sessions throughout the day or 2 20 minute session? or do you have an even better suggestion? thanks.

Replies

• 3bearsmom
    3bearsmom Posts: 34
    Options
    I finally finally got my elliptical and up until today have been getting on it everyday. (today my 2 year old has been sitting on my lap almost ALL day-doc says he got a consussion yesterday-so I've just been mommying all day today...) anyway, I was wondering...is it better to do a longer period of time at less resistance or more resistance for less time. The other day I had the resistance set at #8 and only managed 5 minutes at a time. nearly wore me out. But another time I set it on 4 and was able to do 20 minutes. which is better? several 5 minute sessions throughout the day or 2 20 minute session? or do you have an even better suggestion? thanks.
  • kbender77
    Options
    I was always told it is better to do like 2-3 10 minute workouts a day...But I don't know...I do 1 20-30 minute workout a day on it...I don't have the time to keep going back to it during the day b/c I have a 2 year old that is okay while I am doing it, but if I have to keep taking him to my basement 3 rtimes a day, he may not be so cooperative any more...Hope that helps!
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you can and you will continue to do.

To benefit your heart, at least 20 minutes at a time.
  • Melobs
    Melobs Posts: 12
    Options
    The dreaded elliptical!!!!!! lol

I work in a physical therapy department and we have one in our department. I can only last 5 min on that thing and my quads are a burning!! One of the physical therapists I work with advised me to not set the resistance to easy because it will tire you out quicker and it's better to go longer. I set it at I believe it was about a 6. We have a monitor on ours that tells you when you adjust the resistance to what muscles you are working. So I set it so it works all of them. We also have an incline setting on ours. I'm not sure what I had that set at??

Obviously I need to take advantage of the gym equipment and espically the elliptical, that we can use for free more often!
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I started easy on mine, so I could go 30 minutes. Now I up the resistance for the last 2 minutes of each 10 minute period. I am going to increase this to 3 minutes and so on. I've been losing weight steadily, so it must work. I have no scientific proof this is the way to go, but it works for me!
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    i love the elliptical machine that's at the gym. i do the 35 minute weight loss workout. it's awesome, i would marry it if i could *nods*

as the others have said, do what you feel good doing..then go from there. good luck!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I guess, it depends, there is the diminishing returns factor here. If you can go a really long time on a low setting, I would try putting just above that setting and trying for the same amount. The important thing is that you push your muscles, if there is no burn then you aren't doing anything other then cardio. The eliptical is for muscle tone as well as cardio, and to get the full effect, you should feel burn.
    So if 4 is ok for you, then I would try 5 and see if you can stay on it for 20 minutes that way. Once this becomes easy (and It will eventually) push it up again. If you are faithful, you should be able to increase your level probably once every 5 to 6 times you use it. Remember, the last 5 to 8 minutes of any good workout, you should be feeling like you can't DO the last 5 to 8 minutes. :tongue: Otherwise, you're probably not pushing your body as hard as you think you are. I.E. it's not a vigorous workout if you aren't pouring sweat and out of breath and weary at the end.
  • ranally
    ranally Posts: 4
    Options
    I do a 60 min session at the gym 3 -4 times a week and with watching my calories thanks to this website I have lost 9 lbs in the last 3 weeks. I do this then lift for a half hour. I tried something new last week to mix it up a little so I don't get bored with it ( been going to the gym for a few months) and I am doing a 1/2 hour then circut lift then back on for a 1/2 hour - makes it go faster adn not seem so bad. I totally believe that you are capable of anything just keep up with it. I go on the lowest resistance and the lowest incline, when I was doing hte 35 min weight loss program on the elliptical with the varying resistance it was hard to want to stay on the whole time - and I am burning more calories this way. Hope this helps or not. Once you get it in your mind that you want this then it all comes together - and seeing the weight come off is even more of a motivator :wink: Good Luck to all!!
  • bjigglepants
    Options
    i honestly just push myself through it. i was a college athlete (volleyball) and even though i'm no longer a college athlete, there's still that little voice (voices?!) in the back of my mind that says "do it or you're gonna have to run laps!". i hit a hump every time i step on the machine,but as soon as i work over that hump i feel sooooooo much better. probably due to the endorphins racing through me.

do what you feel comfy with and work your way up. everyone has different thresholds. the fact that you're up on it and trying automatically makes you a stud. hang in there and good luck!
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    I hope your little one is doing better:flowerforyou: