NSV - (Female) weight lifting progress!

Options
Rodderick89
Rodderick89 Posts: 205 Member
Well I started dabbling in lifting back in January, after hiring a personal trainer and seeing all the svelte (and still curvy, feminine looking) women on MFP who were lifting as well as doing cardio.

In my first ever 'induction' session I did squats - 3 sets of 12 reps using a very light bar + 10kg... and thought I was going to die! I could barely walk down the stairs after that first session...

The week after I did an arms and chest session, and learnt about proper form/technique, and struggled my way (needing spotting) with again a light bar and 10kg weight to do 3 sets of 12 reps of chest presses.

Well, today after my 8/9th sessions I chest pressed 3 reps at 40kg (30kg for 3x sets of 12 reps very comfortable) and squatted 8 reps at 50kg! All (So I'm told) with brilliant form.. just to put this more visually, take a look at the picture below! I use the "check in2 feature of MFP to record the weights for each different exercise I do - it's great watching the line creep up slowly!

494eefd6-6456-4493-95b8-411ac3690099_zps03b634f3.jpg

I still vividly remember my very first sessions for each exercise, sweating a whole load and going home afterwards thinking "This is ridiculous!", setting myself the goal of being able to squat and press half my body weight (ACHIEVED) and laughing, thinking it would never happen. Well, 8 weeks later and I've SMASHED that goal, go me! ;)

Throughout the past 2-3 months I have also lost 11-13 lbs (fluctuation)... but I have struggled for each of those lbs and have many more to go - I am much more excited about my weight lifting progress.. and it's a great motivator in the weights room when you see a bunch of hench blokes give each other "The look" to suggest they're anticipating me reaching for the pink dumbells and then the little bit of shock on their faces when I knock out reps at 40kg on the chest press rack!

So if anyone else is thinking it's impossible, I can assure you, it isn't! This has been with ONE PT led session a week and ONE session on my own every second week :)

Replies

• Rodderick89
    Options
    Edited to add the photo!
  • famousmel
    famousmel Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Good on you!! I need to get serious about weights, as I am currently a 'dabbler':)
  • Mutant13
    Mutant13 Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    Excellent progress!
  • Rodderick89
    Options
    Thanks girlies, it's empowering feeling so much stronger! :D
  • aliciaje
    aliciaje Posts: 83
    Options
    YA! Awesome job!! Glad to be your friend on this journey :)
  • Rodderick89
    Options
    Thanks lovely :) So so chuffed that I have hit my goal of being able to press and squat half my body weight - I didn't think that would happen until April/May! xx
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!