Too much fat but eating healthily

Options
Help please, my diary is open and maybe someone can help me workout why what I thought was a really healthy day today seems to have given me way too much fat and still not enough protein, let alone carbs. Thank you!! Still have time to redeem myself this evening hopefully.

Replies

• CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Help please, my diary is open and maybe someone can help me workout why what I thought was a really healthy day today seems to have given me way too much fat and still not enough protein, let alone carbs. Thank you!! Still have time to redeem myself this evening hopefully.

i eat about 55% fat daily. fat itself won't derail your goals unless it's bad fat. i'll check out your diary. :)
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    you don't seem to be tracking fat
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

xVyoSl.jpg
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    why don't you track your fat on your main page? that'll help 1st off.

secondly, you're fine. they're good fats and you shouldn't be worried. if you do want to cut back, scrap something olive-related since you seem to eat that a lot!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    The standard protein and fat settings on MFP are actually pretty low. A lot of people change it to 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 30% fats, although there is no standard saying that is perfect either. I would focus most on getting a decent amount of protein in (like twice as much as your current setting) and let the other macros fall however suits you best.
  • Supern0va81
    Supern0va81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I usually access my diary through the android app on my phone which also enables me to track fat, protein, and carbohydrate, separately as either stats or percentages across the day using the summarised view for either daily or weekly intake. I am currently at the PC so have updated my default tracking settings so you should be able to see this in my diary now instead.

'_Randy_' I hope this helps clarify.

Thanks all.
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It looks like you got the amount of protein that MFP told you to get and then a little more. Am I missing the question? lol
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I generally eat 50-60% fat, 20-30% protein and rest in carbs coming from fruits and vegetables.

Eating this way is how I seem to feel my best.
  • Supern0va81
    Options
    It looks like you got the amount of protein that MFP told you to get and then a little more. Am I missing the question? lol

the question was about fat :wink:
  • wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options

the question was about fat :wink:

Oh! I was focusing on the part where you said, "And still not enough protein." Yeah I can't see your fat intake on here. I usually do 1 gram of protain per pound of body weight and then whatever percentage you have leftover after that give a little more to carbs and leave the rest to fat. Good fats are not bad, but obviously everything moderation. Sorry I can't be of more help lol.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Fat is not bad.

Olive oil, avocado, nuts, flax, healthy good fat...

A calorie is a calorie when it comes down to losing weight no matter where it comes from. They key is finding out how you work best.

Another poster mentioned a higher fat and protein intake and less carbs to feel good. I have tried that route and was drained all the time so I upped my carbs and fat and kept my protein a little lower and that combo keeps me singing all day. If a higher fat content keeps you going and feeling full and good then by all means keep at it! No one size fits all!
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    The fat you are eating seems to be good fat. If you're that concerned try replacing the olive spread with something like hummus. Fats from proteins and veggies (olives, avocados, etc.) are good fats since they are natural. Try not to focus so much on the fat. Fat isn't what makes you fat... unless you're eating potato chips and fried food.
  • erinlibke
    erinlibke Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You are fine. You are taking in healthy fats from olives and the mackerel. Its good for your hair and skin so as long as its not coming from burgers and fries all the time, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Plus its not an everyday occurance.
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I think when it comes to macros ratios, you have to do what feels best for you. Just because your diet doesn't fit the macro ratios MFP sets as default doesn't necessarily mean it's unhealthy. How do you feel when eating like this?

Many other people have said in this thread that they thrive on high fat diets, and you may be one of those people. If that's true I'd adjust the ratios to suit your needs. I personally thrive on higher carbs and lower fats. My fat grams always end up being "under" according to MFP by about 20, and I've been thinking about changing it just so I don't have to see that anymore. :)

But to more directly answer your original question, I looked at your diary and your highest fat foods are olives and animal products. You also seem to be lacking in the fruits and veggies. I'd crowd out the olives and maybe one of the breakfast eggs with some fruits and include some leafy greens at lunch and dinner while reducing meat portions.
  • Supern0va81
    Options
    I think when it comes to macros ratios, you have to do what feels best for you. Just because your diet doesn't fit the macro ratios MFP sets as default doesn't necessarily mean it's unhealthy. How do you feel when eating like this?

Many other people have said in this thread that they thrive on high fat diets, and you may be one of those people. If that's true I'd adjust the ratios to suit your needs. I personally thrive on higher carbs and lower fats. My fat grams always end up being "under" according to MFP by about 20, and I've been thinking about changing it just so I don't have to see that anymore. :)

But to more directly answer your original question, I looked at your diary and your highest fat foods are olives and animal products. You also seem to be lacking in the fruits and veggies. I'd crowd out the olives and maybe one of the breakfast eggs with some fruits and include some leafy greens at lunch and dinner while reducing meat portions.

I have left the MFP macro values as defaults as I wasn't sure what a sensible alternative would be initially but I am gradually learning more. Since the beginning of this year I have stopped binge eating to stay awake and taken an interest in balancing my health as you will from my profile.

I seem to be better with more carbs than protein and less fats but seeing the fats in such high proportion today had me wondering whether I was over doing it. My GP advised I follow a high fibre diet following an op about 18 months ago and this has worked wonders but I do find that with even with high fibre and drinking between 3-5 litres per day to balance I am still getting significant cramps and tend to revert to MFP's default suggestions, laxing in the habit once in a while and feeling shattered for perhaps not eating enough protein. I don't tend to have fast food - the closest I get to it is sushi as an occasional treat, or a curry out and about perhaps not more than 3 times a year - 4 at a push but it still feels largely about finding a happy nutritional balance just for a day to feel revived and nourished and opposed to eating to survive.