Exercising when muscles are sore to the touch

Options
Hey MFPers

I wanted to know some advice about whether to workout with sore to the touch muscles. This week I've done about 90 minutes of exercise per day (since Monday) and did some advanced Pilates on Tuesday and Wednesday. Needless to say I can barely sit down in a chair, and my legs actually hurt to be touched. Should I take a day off? I really feel lazy if I slack off a day.

FYI: I do 90 minute mixes of low and high impact cardio, HIIT and advanced pilates. I was worried if I slack off today then I won't have enough minutes/calories burned for the week. I usually skip Saturday and Sunday workouts to spend time with family, but we often run our errands like shopping etc, and I try to do at least some mild yoga on those days. If I only do an hour of exercise today and tomorrow, I'm only averaging an hour a day. Is that enough? I eat 1200 calories per day and burn on average 400-500 (which I don't eat back).

Replies

• kezza8888
    kezza8888 Posts: 75
    Options
    I think you NEED a day off girl!! :-)

Sounds like you are working really hard, but dont over do it, espcially as it could lead to injury and put you out of the game for weeks!

Your daily calorie allowance is pretty low, and if you are not eating the calories back you must only take max 800 calories a day? You need to be careful your body doesnt go into starvation mode!

If you really cant bear to take days off in the week - I suggest something low impact like swimming, to give your muscles and joints a break! Maybe once your muscles adapt to the routines you will be able to do more consecutive days without a break, but take your time!

:-) x
  • explainsitall
    Options
    I think you NEED a day off girl!! :-)

Sounds like you are working really hard, but dont over do it, espcially as it could lead to injury and put you out of the game for weeks!

Your daily calorie allowance is pretty low, and if you are not eating the calories back you must only take max 800 calories a day? You need to be careful your body doesnt go into starvation mode!

If you really cant bear to take days off in the week - I suggest something low impact like swimming, to give your muscles and joints a break! Maybe once your muscles adapt to the routines you will be able to do more consecutive days without a break, but take your time!

:-) x

Thank you, I guess I'm just paranoid to eat the calories back too!
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    how do you expect your muscles to repair themselves if you are not eating enough for them to do that?
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I like to do active rest on days like that because it helps me to feel better in the long run. Do something low-key like a nice leisurely 20-30 minute walk (or elliptical or swim) then get a really good stretch in. Also, make sure you're getting plenty of protein and water to aid in the healing process.

As far as those calories go, you really are supposed to eat them back. I've been doing that since day one and as you can see by my ticker, it's never held me back. MFP already sets you up with a substantial deficit (especially if you go with something like a 2 pound per week goal) so if you exercise and don't eat those calories back, you risk being undernourished, getting burned out, screwing up your metabolism and losing muscle. Better to be healthy, eat right and get the phsyque you want, not just get skinny, right?!

Good luck!
  • digitalsteel
    digitalsteel Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I agree, most things I have read indicate that exercise is great for increasing your health and strength, but contributes to fat loss a great deal less than most people think. Overdoing it will likely do more harm than good. http://www.workoutbox.com/blog/weight-loss/losing-weight-is-about-80-percent-diet/
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    One word: "Don't".

If they're that sore, they need more time to heal. A little soreness is OK, but that's a low grade aching sore and not sore to the touch. Everybody recovers differently, so don't assume the two day or whatever rule is always true regardless of how hard you pushed your last workout or how much time it takes you to recover.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    lots of good advice here. you definitely need to start eating back your calories; that will help with DOMS as well.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    So you're netting around 800 calories a day? This is NOT healthy. Your metabolism is going to be so messed up you're going to encounter a whole new set of problems.

Read, learn, succeed:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey MFPers

I wanted to know some advice about whether to workout with sore to the touch muscles. This week I've done about 90 minutes of exercise per day (since Monday) and did some advanced Pilates on Tuesday and Wednesday. Needless to say I can barely sit down in a chair, and my legs actually hurt to be touched. Should I take a day off? I really feel lazy if I slack off a day.

FYI: I do 90 minute mixes of low and high impact cardio, HIIT and advanced pilates. I was worried if I slack off today then I won't have enough minutes/calories burned for the week. I usually skip Saturday and Sunday workouts to spend time with family, but we often run our errands like shopping etc, and I try to do at least some mild yoga on those days. If I only do an hour of exercise today and tomorrow, I'm only averaging an hour a day. Is that enough? I eat 1200 calories per day and burn on average 400-500 (which I don't eat back).

when it comes to exercise its quality not quantity! you dont HAVE to do 90 minutes to get a good workout in.

rest is also a VERY important part of any exercise routine, if you are as sore as you say then do some gentle stretching and have a day off!

also, netting 800 cals is not healthy and wont sustain you for very long with all the exercise you're doing. you should be NETTING 1200, otherwise you are encouraging your body to store fat and burn muscle, which is not what yo uwant!
  • explainsitall
    Options
    So you're netting around 800 calories a day? This is NOT healthy. Your metabolism is going to be so messed up you're going to encounter a whole new set of problems.

Read, learn, succeed:

Yeah I usually net between 700-800
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

Read, learn, succeed:

^^ and this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Take a day or two off.

Lower the intensity for now.

Increase the intensity as you get fitter. Eventually you will be able to do very intense work outs without soreness.
  • marvybells
    marvybells Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    how do you expect your muscles to repair themselves if you are not eating enough for them to do that?

on top of that they need rest to repair. you need a day off.
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I know what you and everyone else is about to say, but when you workout do you try to get a few more carbs in post workout? It really helps the muscles recover faster. And Yes you need a day off, Let your muscles heal or you will do more harm than good!
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    I find that working the muscles again doing different exercises to be the best form of relief for the soreness.

Are you giving yourself one day off a week for recovery and re-building...this is a definite must as overtraining will just lead to injury sooner or later.