I just ate 10 Hershey Kisses....

Options
swanny320
swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
So I did well today. My goal was to not eat ANY junk. Had a great breakfast, had a great lunch ready...then I spilled half of it on the floor at work. So in my "great, I'm starving, now what?" I grabbed a handful of kisses and ate them. Turns out they are 200 calories total. 200 calories of worthless sugar. UGH. I feel like I ruined my whole day....so I need some perspective. Someone give me a reason to go on lol.

I realize I can go run it off...but I guess I feel like I just do stuff like this and it's sabotage. I wonder if I will ever kick this stupid sugar addiction.

Replies

• amontanye
    amontanye Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have found I keep the small chocolates in the house to help me. I like the dove dark chocolate. I have found by planning some of my days to include the chocolate- I tend not to go over board with it anymore. One day isn't going to break things- it's if you get in a habit of doing it every day. I would keep healthy snacks with me at work for a while- to get past the cravings I might get for the sugary stuff. It really did help and I don't get those cravings anywhere near as often. Plus I keep my cup full of water- and drink first before I decide to put something in my mouth.
  • indipeach
    Options
    I was stressing the other day, as I was out of calories, but I was starving! So I had to eat, and someone reminded me, that daily calorie intake is a great goal, but it's your weekly goal that makes the biggest difference! So one slip isn't gonna make a huge difference! If you have to, use the guilt as motivation to get a good sweat on!
  • msleanlegs
    msleanlegs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My house has goodies in it that would definitely tempt me if I didn't make sure to keep healthy treats around. I always have a batch of protein brownies in the fridge and a mashed banana/almond butter/cocoa powder mix in the freezer. Hubby brought 3 boxes of girl scouts cookies home a week ago and I wasn't even fazed by them (and that's saying a lot, lol).
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Someone give me a reason to go on lol.

What's the alternative? Eat something else that you didn't plan, feel worse about yourself, keep eating things you didn't plan, keep feeling worse about yourself? I've done that for many years. It really isn't worth it. That's why this time around, I haven't made any foods "bad" or "off-limits." It sets me up for a vicious cycle when I decide to eat something that isn't completely healthy. I figure, if 80% of my food choices are good, I'm doing well.

At the end of the day, think about how few calories 200 is compared to everything else you eat. Even if you are only on 1200 calories a day, 200 calories is just a small percentage of your day. It's an even smaller percentage of your week and of your month. In the grand scheme of things, how is it really going to hurt you? A little chocolate doesn't take away from the nutritional value of other things you eat.
  • TimeForMe99
    TimeForMe99 Posts: 309
    Options
    Intention to succeed is 90% of the challenge. You started out great and you can finish great. Don't beat yourself up over the chocolates; it's just a small part of your day. You can still meet your macros with a little adjusting.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    All pretty good advice so far with the responses! The only thing I'd like to add is to come up with some non-perishable snacks to keep in your purse or desk drawer so you're prepared for times like this. I keep snack/protein bars, almonds and a box of cereal or instant oatmeal in my desk drawer in case of forgotten lunch or an extra hungry day. One of my co-workers keeps a jar of peanut butter in his drawer but that's a bit too messy and tempting for me.

That's not to say I don't dip into the chocolate now and then. Chocolate's all well and good for a treat, even on a regular basis if it fits in your calories/macros. The fact that it's 200 calories isn't the problem, it's the fact that those 200 calories are basically a waste because you'll likely end up hungry again in an hour or so when the sugar gets through your system and then what?

Learn from your mistake and come up with a plan for next time so you can get through it without a guilt trip. :)
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yum, i like honest people,,,,,, just have some sex tonight.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    200 calories in the scheme of things is no big deal. Let it go.
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Well it got worse! I teach and my students had a surprise birthday party for me and I ended eating cake and chips. UGH. Well, I'm just going to eat clean the rest of the night and start again tomrorow. Thanks for the perspective.
  • YAYJules
    YAYJules Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    200 calories in the scheme of things is no big deal. Let it go.

Yup. No use crying about it.
  • 1brokegal44
    1brokegal44 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    It's 10, not the whole bag. Log it. Move on.