Weight Lifting for Beginners

Options
I have a pair of wrist weights and a pair of ankle weights. There are adjustable, with pockets inside the weights where you place small metal bars according to the weight you desire. They stay on with velcro. I figure this is good enough for now. But, I've forgotten what weight to start with for arms and legs. What do you recommend?

I also need some advice for arm exercises with the wrist weights.

Thank you.

Replies

• DostThouEven
    Options
    I was thinking this was going to be a thread about lifting weights.
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You can often youtube search for good videos that go with equipment you already have, or you can adapt any videos that are for weights to what you own. I like the way you are thinking.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    Google or you tube!!!
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    You win the "MOST MISLEADING TITLE FOR A THREAD" award for today....
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I heard that ankle and wrist weights are bad for your joints. You'd do better weight lifting. If you don't have the equipment and don't want to join a gym, there are plenty of body weight exercises one can do at home. Squats, lunges and plank exercises are good ones. Try YouTube for some free workout videos. You may also want to consider a balance ball and/or resistance bands. (inexpensive and don't take up much space)
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of wrist weights and a pair of ankle weights. There are adjustable, with pockets inside the weights where you place small metal bars according to the weight you desire. They stay on with velcro. I figure this is good enough for now. But, I've forgotten what weight to start with for arms and legs. What do you recommend? I also need some advice for arm exercises with the wrist weights.

This is not weightlifting. Ankle and wrist weights are worn while doing body sculpting or othre floor work.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options

Um, no.

Weight lifting does not have to be about the big weights. Do you really think true beginners start out with barbells? :noway:
  • fitplease
    Options
    Thanks for the advice so far...except for those of you who deem nasty comments to be helpful.
    You can often youtube search for good videos that go with equipment you already have, or you can adapt any videos that are for weights to what you own. I like the way you are thinking.

YouTube sounds like an idea. What videos do you recommend? (Or, if you can recommend search terms, that would be great too!)
  • fitplease
    Options
    I was thinking this was going to be a thread about lifting weights.

Can you read? Yes, it is about lifting weights.
  • fitplease
    Options
    I heard that ankle and wrist weights are bad for your joints.

The physical therapist had me buy these and did give me a set of exercises for the legs. But, I don't have a set for the arms.

Can you post a link that supports your claim? Thanks. :smile:

My opinion is that misusing the weights is bad. They are for weight lifting, not cardio. Some folks might wear them walking or while doing aerobics, but that just puts too much strain on the ankles and wrists while the weights bop around haphazardly.
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific area on the arms you are looking to work or are you looking to do the whole package?

Google or YouTube "Body Pump Arms". I really like the Body Pump exercises because they target one set of muscles at a time, they are specifically designed to be done at lower weights for longer reps and are typically set to some really good tunes. I've been doing Body Pump for a few months now, and have gotten excellent and nearly immediate results. It's strength training without the boredom! :)

Let us know how you do!
  • Maddi7110
    Maddi7110 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you define a true beginner. I started with free weights ie. barbells and bumbbells. I also had a decent strength base from being in the military and doing the required physical activity. A true beginnner is someone who has never worked out and yes they can use a barbell or dumbbell....just think they are carrying a lot of extra weight around already and have muscles under their fat.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

Um, no.

Weight lifting does not have to be about the big weights. Do you really think true beginners start out with barbells?:noway:

I did, but I've always prided myself on being relatively strong. I know a lot of women who were relatively weak who started with small weights, but progressed quickly. Most women's hand bags will weigh less than a lot of wrist weights (at least the ones I've seen). Trust me, you're not as weak as you think.

I'd look into a lifting program that focuses on compound lifts like squats, dead lifts, overhead press,etc. I personally chose to do strong lifts, but there are a lot of different beginner programs. I'm a member of the strong lifts for women group, and a lot of "weaklings' have started who couldn't do the barbell and started with light dumbbells. And they're making amazing progress. You should be adding progressive weight, and you can add weight probably once a week (at least) if you are lifting three times a week. I have a feeling you'll outgrow the weights you have fairly quickly.
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Check out Body By You by Mark Lauren

It's a body weight strength training program that uses things that most of have around the house or can get pretty easily. This particular book is directed torward women. You Are Your Own Gym is another book he wrote that I thought had more info in it (although I mostly just skimmed Body By You, so I could be mistaken) - so maybe read them both, but do the program in Body By You?? Anyway, your local library might have the book so you can check it out for free. I would start there. At some point you will probably need to start using some heavier equipment, but this might work well to get you started.

Edited to add that if you have access to equipment and prefer to use weights, you could read New Rules of Lifting for Women - that's where I started.
  • fitplease
    Options
    Is there a specific area on the arms you are looking to work or are you looking to do the whole package?

I am looking to strengthen them overall. I am not into shaping just yet.
    Google or YouTube "Body Pump Arms". I really like the Body Pump exercises because they target one set of muscles at a time, they are specifically designed to be done at lower weights for longer reps and are typically set to some really good tunes. I've been doing Body Pump for a few months now, and have gotten excellent and nearly immediate results. It's strength training without the boredom! :)

I do need to work with the lower weights, so I'll take a look. Thanks.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I heard that ankle and wrist weights are bad for your joints.

The physical therapist had me buy these and did give me a set of exercises for the legs. But, I don't have a set for the arms.

Can you post a link that supports your claim? Thanks. :smile:

I'm sorry. I didn't realize the weights were prescribed to you by a doctor. I'm sure whatever routine he gave you is perfectly safe. Odd that he didn't give you a routine for your arms, perhaps he forgot? I would call him.

Although, I would love to provide a link to what I read but it was a long time ago (I don't even remember if it was on line or in a magazine) and it was actually referring to those who use wrist/ankle weights while walking, jogging, daily errands and other exercise routines that they are not intended for. Although I totally believe in heavy lifting to get in shape, I would advise you speak with your doctor first. It may not be appropriate for you if you have a medical issue.
  • fitplease
    Options
    I'm sorry. I didn't realize the weights were prescribed to you by a doctor. I'm sure whatever routine he gave you is perfectly safe. Odd that he didn't give you a routine for your arms, perhaps he forgot? I would call him.

No worries. :-) One PT gave me leg exercises. I remember them well. As for the arms, I forget. It's been a while since I've been in for PT, but my other doc has been on my case about strengthening my muscles all over but she stresses keeping things light.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    To decide how much to lift, start with what ever you feel comfortable with. If you can lift it for 5 sets of 12 reps and not feel like your arms are going to fall off, set a heavier weight the next day..

So on monday start with 2lbs. Lift the weight 12 times, take a 30 to 60 sec. break (that's 1 set). Lift it again for another 12 times.(Set 2) Repeat for a total of 5 sets. If it was too heavy and you couldn't do all 5 sets, then lower the weight when you lift on Wed. (you need to give your muscles a day to recover).

If you finish the 5th set and feel like you can do a 6th, then your weight is too light and you need to add more when you lift on Wed. Once the 5th set is easy for you, you can add more weight.

Check out bodybuilding.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

for exercises that will target the areas you want to work.

Just for the record, I started out using 1lbs weights a year ago. I now lift with 8, 10 and 12lb dumbells. Your focus should be building strength and lifting heavy for you!
  • fitplease
    Options
    This is not weightlifting.

You are correct. "Weightlifting" is a sport. "Weight lifting" is an exercise.
  • fitplease
    Options
    To decide how much to lift, start with what ever you feel comfortable with. If you can lift it for 5 sets of 12 reps and not feel like your arms are going to fall off, set a heavier weight the next day..

So on monday start with 2lbs. Lift the weight 12 times, take a 30 to 60 sec. break (that's 1 set). Lift it again for another 12 times.(Set 2) Repeat for a total of 5 sets. If it was too heavy and you couldn't do all 5 sets, then lower the weight when you lift on Wed. (you need to give your muscles a day to recover).

If you finish the 5th set and feel like you can do a 6th, then your weight is too light and you need to add more when you lift on Wed. Once the 5th set is easy for you, you can add more weight.

Check out bodybuilding.com

http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/

for exercises that will target the areas you want to work.

Just for the record, I started out using 1lbs weights a year ago. I now lift with 8, 10 and 12lb dumbells. Your focus should be building strength and lifting heavy for you!

Great advice, thanks. My doctor advises against heavy lifting for me. But, I do expect to be able to lift more as I go along.