School Lunches the cause for Childhood obesity...

Options
2»

Replies

• Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    Speaking as a surburbanite, take a walk into any grocery store and I guarantee many high-income families in the area still buy processed food at the grocery store for their kids. This stuff is just very pricy, organic, "diet", whatever, but it's still crap for the most part and doesn't do much to help an overweight kid. This is so true of places like Whole Foods. Maybe people simply assume because it's within the four walls of that store that it's magically healthy. It's not. There are a lot of good choices there, but there's also a lot of organic junk food that's just as [calorically] dangerous as regular junk food.

Even kids who are extremely active can still have weight issues. Exercise in itself doesn't help all kids. Some are about as metabolically screwed up as overweight adults...So much of the problem stems from their daily diet.
  • hill242
    hill242 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    We ate the same school lunches when I was a kid, but we also had PE for 30-45 minutes where we ran, played ball games, and did other physical activities. Then when I got home, I was often outside on my bike. Yes we played video games too even then but we also enjoyed being outside just as much.

But I also know that I while I didn't grow up in the best neighborhood, we had it much better than kids growing up in urban areas plagued with crime, and no grocery stores with healthy choices available, and parents barely able to provide them a roof over their head.
  • feeny
    feeny Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I hope they do. I think where I really started to gain weight was in middle school. They had a program where you could work in the cafeteria, and you'd get free lunch. It was so unhealthy (burritos, pizza, cookies etc) and the portions are huge.

I wish someone back then had told me what i was doing to myself, and I wouldn't be where I am now lol.

I'm only 21 btw, so middle school was a lot more recent for me than some of you. I'm not sure about my highschool's lunches, as I never bought food there.