Runners and lifters, advice please!

Options
2»

Replies

• FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I run every morning on weekdays. It's 5k. I'm not pushing or anything. It's barely more than a jog except for the days I want to try against a personal best or something. which is usually only two or three of the five days.

Weekends are always too busy regardless.

Some weeks (like this one) are only half weeks for running. In which case, each one was a health run and not a leisurely smiley one.

Because I work three jobs, I mostly just go when I can and the rest of the time I settle for hitting my 10,000 step a day goal.

I have multiple heart issues and an erratic schedule so I'm probably not a good example of what a runner should be.

TL;DR:
    My running buddy is significantly more experienced than me. He runs a set schedule. Mondays, he meets me and we run our usual 5k route, then I run or walk back (depending on how I feel) and he keeps going for however long he can clear in 30 minutes at a comfortable pace. Wednesdays, starts the same, but after he finishes his 5k with me, he keeps going until he finishes another 15k. Fridays are the same as Mondays. He also doesn't run on weekends.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    The most accurate answer on running everyday will be based on your experience. It's okay to run every single day as long as
    1) you aren't running excessive distances (again, this will vary on experience and skill level);
    2) you aren't running at full speed;
    3) you are wearing the correct shoes;
    4) you are fully recovered and not running though an injury; and
    5) you are eating enough calories and protein.

What most people fail to understand is that lifting weights itself is a form of cardiovascular exercise. Look at this video and tell me she isn't working her CV system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRLUVVa3IXI What she is doing is an advanced workout, that will work her heart, lungs as well as her muscles.
    Will it become easier if I do run every day, or will I always be fighting be cause my body wants a day off? My other question is that I've researched all these different running training programs and they say one day, do this, one day do that....' what is your weekly training routine? And how many times/week do you lift weights?

Listen to your body. If you feel like you need to take a rest, then rest. Do NOT run through an injury, regardless of whether you want to or whether you are running with friends. Just tell them "Sorry guys, my ankle is killing me and I can't do carry on". I was running 5 times and felt exhausted and I was too ignorant to do this and I sprained both ankles, both shins, both knees and the right side of my groin in November 2011. I ran through the pain the first 4 weeks but then spent most of the time doing HIIT instead. At the time, I had to do it because I was doing a half marathon in March. But after March 2012 I stopped running and starting both HIIT and heavy lifting. I only fully recovered 2 weeks ago because of the severity of my injury. I know you know this already, but just remember that running everyday doesn't make you stronger or better, it just makes you more susceptible to injury and may lead to boredom if done excessively.

There's a great training calender for running here for 5k, 10k and a half marathon
    www.runteamkina.com

Good fitness channels of YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/CampbellFitnessTV
    http://www.youtube.com/user/chixdrag2
    http://www.youtube.com/user/IceCreamFitness

All the articles you read will only confuse you further. Follow a TRAINING PROGRAM with regards to lifting weights. StrongLifts 5x5 for example or The New Rules of Lifting for Women. My advice? Lift heavy 3-4 times a week depending on your program and if your goal is to to improve your physique, don't do too much traditional "cardiovascular exercise". My current program is http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/phul-workout. You can do this if you like, but it is an intermediate program, so you may want to do a novice program first like the two mentioned above.

If your goal is to be a triathlete then you'll need to follow a program (note the emphasis is on following a structured program, not just going to the gym to "work out") that will help you achieve this. I don't know too much about this sport so can't comment on training for it. But for now keep lifting and alternate between running, cycling and swimming. I know where you're coming from, for me, running and training is one of the most therapeutic things to do. So keep doing it and stay motivated for yourself and your children!

Feel free to add me if you want to know anything more though I do not claim to be an expert by any means. I'm just a kid who has made so many mistakes that I know what works for me.

Good luck.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    My running schedule really depends. I'll either run Mon-Tues-Wed for 30 min. about 3-3.5 miles depending on how fast I'm going OR Tues-Thurs. If I don't hit the gym I'll run on the TM at home for an hour which is about 6-6.5 miles again, depending on how fast I'm going. However right now I have a race coming up in 11 weeks that I'm going to (loosely) train for so I will be doing a bit more running, various speeds, paces, miles, inclines etc.

I lift weights every day as well.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I personally cannot run every day. I have gotten to the point where I can run two days in a row with no ill effects, but I've never tried 3, and don't plan to. I am currently training for a half marathon (next month!) but not getting quite enough running in. Ah well...

Here's my current workout schedule for this week:

Monday: Body Sculpting Class
    Tuesday: 40 minutes Yoga, Run 5K on treadmill
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Run 5K on treadmill
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Lifting with personal trainer
    Sunday: Long run - hoping to hit 11 miles

In general, my running schedule for my half training has been:

Week one: two short runs (up to 3.5 miles), one medium run (3.6 to 7.5 miles)
    Week two: two short runs (up to 3.5 miles), one long run (7.6 to 11 miles)

Repeat!
  • thepaul500
    Options
    This is EXACTLY the right advice. Running every day, unless is short as in 2 miles or less, is injury time.

And this is EXACTLY the sort of blanket statement that is false. I run every single day (1 rest day in 2013). Minimum is 5 miles at a time (ok, also ran a 5k and a 4 mile race....). I've averged 73.2ish miles per week in 2013. 0 injuries, and havent had a running injury since nov of 2011, and that was from ramping up too quickly after a race.

Every individual is unique. There are certain axioms which will help prevent injury (no more than 10% gain per week in mileage, no more than 1/3 of your weekly mileage in your long run, etc), but even those aren't set in any stone, and are more common sense than anything. The only way to find out what you are capable is test your limits. Listen to your body, it will tell you when its had enough.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    My workouts have become my most favorite part of the day now.... I have all this conflicting stuff going on in my head.... I need the time because as a single mom it is the only time I get to myself, but I don't want to overdo it either. Please help!

I run every morning on the week days at least a 5k, do one extra 5k in those at night when I am up for it.
    Run 10k's give or take 1/2 mile depending on my mood on Sat and Sun.
    Lift 3 days a week.
    Bike every day when roads aren't icey.
    Play hockey once a week.
    Baseball 1 or 2 times a week.
    Might switch in some one hour hill repeats in exchange for the 5ks when I want to push it hard.

Running is the most challenging for me because of my build and I deal with a joint disease. I'm a single dad and I always look forward to my running for the mind cleanse.

Do you sleep? I wanna hang out with you - I'd be skinny in no time.
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone! There is some awesome advice here. I can't wait to start putting some of it into practice. Thanks for all the support!
  • mountaingirl2207
    Options
    I just went through these posts again when I had some time to really focus without a 4 year old climbing on me, and I just wanted to say thanks again to all that answered! So many of you really took the time to write a long detailed response and I really appreciate it. I feel like instead of having one trainer I have an army of coaches now. Thanks!