Dumbbell Weights

Options
In January I started adding in strength training to my program. Twice a week I do an upper body workout with dumbbells. I began with 8lbs and after a few weeks moved to 10 and then again a couple weeks later upped to 12lbs which is where I still am but was thinking of upping it next week to 15lb. When I was putting away my weights today one of the guys old me that I should really up my weight. I told him that I was thinking of moving up next week. He recommended me moving to the 20 or possibly 25lbs even if I can't complete all my sets using that heavy of a weight. His thought is to max out heavy in the beginning and then use a lighter weight to finish the remaining sets?
Is this setting myself up for injury? Too much weight too quick?

Replies

• thisisme13
    thisisme13 Posts: 150
    Options
    I'm not sure where he gets his information from.

Use a weight you are comfortable with. However, ensure it's a weight that after about 8 reps you can't do anymore. Higher weights, lower reps help you to retain muscle and build muscle when you switch to that method.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    It's all about form - if you can maintain form while moving up and completing the reps that you want to, then do it.

Some people say to switch routines every 4-6 weeks but that depends on what you are doing and what your goals are.

Above all else, maintain good form. Do not be the person at the gym that loads up on heavy weights but looks like an injury waiting to happen!
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    It depends on how many sets/reps you're doing. I was really surprised, when I started working with my trainer - what I considered "couldn't do another rep" was actually "didn't want to do another rep" and I could usually bang out five or six more when he made me, so we upped my weights really quickly in the first few weeks. If you're doing 5 sets of 20 reps, you definitely need to be picking up heavier things.

As long as you can still physically make the movement with good form, it's really unlikely you'll hurt yourself going heavier.

As far as starting out heavy and going lighter with each set, or doing a burnout set at the end, it's a thing. You don't really need to, but I do it sometimes just to change things up. You can also do your sets with fewer reps each time, so instead of 3x8 doing 8,6,4 or whatever, which is what I like to do when I go up in weight. (It's probably purely mental, but it works for me.) Or you can stick with straight sets, there's nothing wrong with them.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    if you want your body to change, you need to use a weight that is heavy enough to force your body to change. it obv depends on what muscle group you're working, but 10 lbs is not likely to be heavy enough. your largest purse probably weighs in that range. every pick up a back pack with books in it?

many people are confused about weight and reps when they start out. we tell them to do 10 reps, so they grab something that weighs slightly more than an iPhone and lift that 10 times. No, what you are looking for is a weight that is heavy enough that you are FORCED to stop somewhere between 8-10 reps. as in, your body cannot muster the strength to complete the last rep. if you stop at 10, but could have done 30, your body won't change because your body didn't even wake up for that set.
  • RacerX_14
    RacerX_14 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I have some small curl bars at work and do 6 sets of 30 pounds for 60 reps. I feel like I'm dying that last 10 reps, but its definitely working.
  • rob1976
    rob1976 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    It is my belief that there is no one set way to lift weights.

Some weeks I do lighter weights for sets 1 &2 and heavier for set 3.

The next week I might do heavier weights for all 3 sets.

Then maybe heavier weights for set 1 and lighter weights for set 2 & 3.

I try to vary the routine to keep monotony from setting and also to keep my body from becoming accustomed to one method alone.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    its a legitimate way of doing it. Like the above posts hints to, there is no one way thats right (thank god). Typically people build up to higher weights over the course of sets in a given exercise, but its good to switch things up now and then if nothing else.

by starting out at the higher weight, presumably you might get more reps out of that weight then if you built up to it. Is this better or worse in terms of results? who knows, the only real answer to that is best results come with a varied and dynamic plan of attack IMO.

might want to do a set where you top out at 15 or so first just to warm up. even pic a weight where you can do a lot more then 15 would be ok, then its still warming up. if your worried about injury
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    pick your weights so that you can do sets with 6 - 12 reps.

I do 5 sets for my weights. # of reps is 12, 10, 8, 6, 6. I adjust the weight for each rep to match those numbers (approx)

Good luck!
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Do it the way you are doing.

Work on form. Your gradual weight buildup per week is fine.

Getting form correct and the gradual increase will greatly help with reducing the chance of injury and will also let you ramp up the weight eventually.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Wow! It is awesome that there is such a variety of ways that you are all lifting! Maybe I'll have to try changing it up some! Typically I just do 3 sets of 10. Usually when I first up the weight I cannot complete all 10 . As I gain some strength and the reps get a bit easier I usually try to increase the intensity by adding in lunges or squats in between sets or doing reps on the bosu. Once I am not as challenged I up my weight. Even considering upping my weight next week I was still struggling to lift my daughter into my truck today after my workout!
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure where he gets his information from.

Use a weight you are comfortable with. However, ensure it's a weight that after about 8 reps you can't do anymore. Higher weights, lower reps help you to retain muscle and build muscle when you switch to that method.

This is true , however, if it is not challenging you then its not enough weight. If you can do 3 sets of 10 comfortable then move up...but i would increase it as you are comfortable since you dont want to compromise form.

Now i will say that my trainer does sometimes have me use the heaviest weight first so that i am at least working the muscle rather than wasting a set on something that is comfortable...and then go down from there if you are too fatigued on your next 2 sets.