Emotional eaters unite for encouragement

Options
I am new to MFP,but would like to start a group,to address losing weight,getting fit,and dealing with emotional eating.I am a 62 year old woman,and am divorced. I started my diet about 2 months ago,and have lost about 18.6 pounds so far. I want to lose 35 more pounds to get to my goal. I do good on my eating plan,and then have a stressful event,and I end up binging on sugar. I could really use the support of others that deal with emotional eating and I would like to be an encouragement. I think this is a great site to make new friends,that share similar issues. Would love to hear from you. Have a wonderful day.

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Having a bunch of emotional eater as friends?

Won't that just continue the cycle?

I think you need friends that are you know . . . a bit more rational about their eating . . . .
  • susanjean62
    susanjean62 Posts: 200
    Options
    I wanted to connect with others that share,struggles with emotional eating and a place to vent. To hold each other accountable. Let's get real. Most people that overeat,probably do so out of an emotion.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I am working everyday to overcome emotional eating. :flowerforyou:
  • susanjean62
    Options
    Hi,Jenny. So glad to have a new friend on here. You and I think alike. I gained 50 pounds this year,and this picture of me,was when I was where I want to be,a few years back. I think you are awesome in your outlook and are a very good example for your children. It has been a very rocky year,but think I am on the mend. Looking forward to warm weather to get out and power walk. I see you have boxing gloves. Always wanted to learn boxing! Anyway,very nice to meet you. I welcome all that need some encouragement,and we can support each other. On our way!! Hugs.
  • Trasharama
    Options
    Hi Susan!
    I'm Bree, 28, and I've struggled with eating disorders, binge/emotional eating for most of my life and have made a promise to myself that I will no longer continue with this war.
    Breaking the mindset has been the hardest and sometimes I doubt myself but I'm so proud of how well I've done recently. We can do it! :D
    I gained 20kg 2 years ago and I've lost 10 of this year and last. We can encourage each other :)

The previous negative post is obviously someone who hasn't lived with a disorder, so yeah, should have thought about that before posting.

Good on you for starting this thread :) x
  • CynthiaBoyer28
    Options
    I have always been an overeater and I have been trying to figure out what my triggers are and why I binge on sugars and fats only to feel so guilty about it later. I realized last week that when I feel anxious about something is when I start looking for food. Knowing that it's a feeling helps me understand that I can get past the cravings if I can find a way to get past the feeling. I've started deep breathing to slow my heart rate and taking a walk to clear my head instead of munching on food. So far this has been really helpful! I hope that you are able to find your triggers and make the decision to do something different! I would love to be your friend and help support you through it!
  • luko1111
    luko1111 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I disagree. As an emotional eater, finding people that are going through the same thing is key. It helps you look at yourself.
  • susanjean62
    Options
    Hi,Bree. Welcome! So glad you joined us on this journey of health. I realized it is important,to not brush anything under the rug,but address it,and deal with it. For some reason,I crave carbs right before I go to sleep,while reading in bed. Last night,ate peanut butter. I hate to admit that,but it's true. Maybe I"m lonely,don't know. New day,new start.
  • susanjean62
    Options
    Hi,Cynthia. Welcome! Thanks so much for your encouragement and also great tips about cravings. Have a nice day.
  • susanjean62
    Options
    Hi,Lukko. Thanks for the encouragement and so nice to have others join,in our quest to be healthy,emotionally and physically. Have a great day.
  • MelissaVoci
    MelissaVoci Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have ALWAYS been a sugar junkie! Ice cream and peanut butter m&m's.... I couldn't go to bed at night without some sort of ice cream/frozen yogurt/dessert.... I have done well with the other parts of my diet, but couldn't give up the sweets at night. And heaven forbid something happened bad in the day.... Starbucks Grande raspberry mocha here I come..... I had no success with dropping pounds, no matter how hard I worked out, and my stomach hurt all the time. I went to the doctor 9 days ago, and discovered I am lactose and gluten intolerant, and my thyroid isn't working properly, and I was showing signs of prediabetes..... What a wake up call!. This is why I can't get below 200 pounds, and why I struggle to lose the same 5 pounds month after month. I haven't touched dairy or gluten products since the appointment, and am taking a pill a day for the thyroid. I am down 9 pounds since my appointment, and I feel amazing! My stomach doesn't hurt and I am getting my energy back! BUT, I still crave peanut butter M&M's like nobody's business!!!! So, after a stressful event at work the other day, as I am about to lose my mind, dying for just a few (which would turn into a bag) of the candy, I decided to try something new. I filled my water bottle (it holds 24 oz) and drank water instead. Weird, I know, but it worked. By the time the water was gone, my craving was too. I just reminded myself that I am 9 pounds down, and it would be a shame to lose my progress over a sweet sugary treat that is going to hurt my stomach anyways. :) Probably an over abundance of information, but I hope it's helpful!
  • pasofan
    pasofan Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend !! That is without a doubt what my problem is . For years I smoked and when I quit over 15 years ago the weight piled on . I used to light one up everytime I was sressed- now I eat .
  • deeruns
    deeruns Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I never considered the idea that this was an actual problem in my life until a few weeks ago, when I was upset and went on a >1500-calories-in-half-an-hour rampage, my boyfriend asked me if I starved myself. I was super offended and immediately spat back no, to which he responded, "then why do you binge?" Eye-opening. Because I wasn't hungry, I DON'T starve myself, and I'm generally good about allowing myself several cheat meals in between clean eating... except when my emotions get in the way.

So I'm very desperately trying to take control. Feel free to add me for support & accountability, all!
  • Wavi
    Wavi Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'M IN! I'm 26 yrs old and last summer was the worst emotional eating stage I've been through I was stuck in my home due to a minor incident without being able to move around well so what did I do?... eat whatever I could get my hands on I was depress and frustrated getting me an extra 30 lbs that now I'm fighting to get rid of, I know that if I can control this I'll be much healthier and its good for me to be aware that there's others out there struggling with this and that the fight it everyday and so can I, thank you for reaching out, looking forward to seeing your progress as well as everyone's in the group.
  • Kateweighs138
    Options
    I feel you. My excess 30 pounds is related to stress, grief, loneliness, boredom and all the other emotions I distracted myself from. It's a challenging pattern to break. I've read the articles about replacing eating with other activities and haven't yet found what works for me. Here's to us all getting there, getting healthy and staying fit.
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Hi Welcome.....I understand. There is already an emotional eating group....See here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1012-emotional-eating
  • suz155
    suz155 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Add me as a friend !! That is without a doubt what my problem is . For years I smoked and when I quit over 15 years ago the weight piled on . I used to light one up everytime I was sressed- now I eat .

Thats would be me ^^^
  • Jennikitten
    Jennikitten Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    My problem is slightly different but I do link food to emotions a lot.

I tend to eat when I am bored but when I am unhappy I can stop eating almost completely (I have been known to lose a stone in a week when I am very unhappy). My main issue now is that I am in a rather dull job so I eat to pass the time :(
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    emotional eating is the worst! I have had times where I would eat then feel bad about myself for eating and then what do I do to fell better, I eat lol it's an endless cycle!! When I get frustrated now though I run... running is a great way to blow off steam and to get those pesky emotions out! I'm deployed at the moment and while being here I have lost 15 pounds!! My husband hears the difference in my voice when I work out... he says I sound happier. :) Well I'm here with ya!! But I tell ya.... knowing other people go through emotional eating make me feel no alone :) anyone who wants to add me, please do!! I could use more friends! :)
  • Rachlovesfitness
    Rachlovesfitness Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    hey! YES please add me as well if you are an emotional eater it is the ONE THING that is holding me back from getting into great shape