Ladies who know a lot about bras, come in here

Options
2»

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    No should be the same. a G is a G is a G. If it's not it should be. I know a 40 DD is the same as a 38 DD anyways.

Keep in mind how much extra "boob" you have under your arms, yeah I know as if having boobs isn't bad enough. Wait! let me recant. I love my boobs, but.... there is a reason why I had a reduction for God sakes. lol.
    Very wrong, though the occasional company makes bras this way they are very very very rare (I know they exist but haven't seen one) . There's a correct fit, and a sister size that's fairly similar. If you go down in a band size, go up in the cup. For example, I usually take a 28DD...which I can't find for the life of me, so most of my bras are 30D. Also, my D's are nowhere NEAR my sisters. Hers are as big as my head. And I know some people in A's that are bigger then my D's.

The letter is just the amount of inches you differ from your bust.

"The current popular system of determining bra size is inaccurate so often as to be useless. Add to this the many different styles of bras and the lack of standardization between brands, and one can see why finding a comfortable, well-fitting bra is more a matter of educated guesswork, trial, and error than of precise measurements." - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassiere_measurement#Correct_fitting
  • boroko
    boroko Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The cup size relates to the ratio of the overbust (nipples) measurement to the underbust (ribcage) measurement, so a G cup will change as the band size changes. The number does also not equate to your bust measurement, which is a common mistake women make when buying bras. For example according to M&S a 42G is supposed to fit an overbust of 44 and an underbust of 37.5, while a 36G is for an overbust of 41 and underbust of 31.5. Confusing huh!! I wear a 32F and have smaller boobs than my sister who is a 36D but I have a narrow back.

There is also a lot of variation between the style of bra and different manufacturers. If you can't go and get properly measured then the best thing to do is to order a load of bras in different styles and sizes from somewhere that does free returns and spend some time trying them on. Most bra retailers have advisors who can give some guidance if you give them your measurements.
  • anareyes68
    Options
    probably best to get refitted. Macy's will do it for free!
  • ThatSoundsHard
    ThatSoundsHard Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I measure every time I go bra shopping.
    Between nursing 2 kids, weight gain/loss etc I've worn about 4 different bra sizes in the past 6 years.

http://howtomeasurebrasize.net/
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    There is F, FF, and FFF before you drop down to DDD. I've gone from 42H to 36F and the F is tight, but G's are too big. Waiting for an FFF to come in to see if it will work.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    There is F, FF, and FFF before you drop down to DDD. I've gone from 42H to 36F and the F is tight, but G's are too big. Waiting for an FFF to come in to see if it will work.

A lot of American bra brands go from DDD to G without anything in between. I do know F's exist though. But I've never heard of FFF. Learn something new every day!
  • MightyMe01
    MightyMe01 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've lost a little over 40 pounds, and my 42G bras are definitely too big. I ordered a bra in a 36DDD, but it's a little too small in the cup because my breasts spill over the top.

I think i need to stick with a G cup, but go down to a 36 or 38 in the band. My question is, the cup sizes on a 36G is smaller than the cup size for a 42G, right, even though the letter is the same? (I know I need to get fitted, and I will some time next month).

I found this a few weeks ago. Hope this helps!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jk55ep4XUQ
  • metermaid11
    metermaid11 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    "There's a correct fit, and a sister size that's fairly similar. If you go down in a band size, go up in the cup. For example, I usually take a 28DD."

This. I worked at both Fredrick's of Hollywood and Victoria's Secret and that is what I was taught when they taught me how to fit bras. If you started at a 42G, that means your bust measurement was 7 inches bigger than your back. If you loose inches around your back and not your bust, that would change your cup size and it would be a smaller band, but a bigger cup. It sounds like that is what you had happen.

Here is how I was taught to accurately measure bra size. It is better id you can get someone to do the measuring for you, but you can do it yourself. Measure around your back underneath your breasts, and then around the fullest part of them. Add 2 to your back measurement, this is your band size (36 inches around means 38 band size etc), count the number between the two measurements and count up the letter ladder to find your size:

1-A
    2-B
    3-C
    4-D
    5-DD etc.

Anything over 5 inches can be tricky depending on where you buy from. Some stores have a DDD after the DD and before the F. Some stores jump straight to F after DD. As long as you know your measurements and the store's succession of bra sizes, you should be able to find one that fits. Good luck.
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I really wish this were less confusing! LOL. I need to go in to be fitted and say, "just write down what sizes I need and I'll be on my way"...

I have recently found that some of my 38B bras were SO HUGE on me, so I did buy some 36B and they fit perfect. But it's the Hanes Concealing Petals with underwire and they are awesome. So I bought 2 more because I know they fit me like a glove, or at least the way a bra should!
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Bra sizes if you go down a band you go up a cup and if you go up a band you go down a cup.

Example I am a 36D=34DD=38C

This. But just get re-sized.
  • CatMcCheesey
    Options
    I have found that bra size and fit vary from brand to brand. It would be best for you to go get refitted.
  • happyheart15
    happyheart15 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I've lost a little over 40 pounds, and my 42G bras are definitely too big. I ordered a bra in a 36DDD, but it's a little too small in the cup because my breasts spill over the top.

I think i need to stick with a G cup, but go down to a 36 or 38 in the band. My question is, the cup sizes on a 36G is smaller than the cup size for a 42G, right, even though the letter is the same? (I know I need to get fitted, and I will some time next month).

Thanks for this Youtube. She is awesome.

Again everyone, thanks so much for the help. I've read all the links and all the info you've posted. :)
  • MightyMe01
    MightyMe01 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Thanks for this Youtube. She is awesome.

Again everyone, thanks so much for the help. I've read all the links and all the info you've posted. :)

The only bad thing I got from this video is that I now know NONE of my underwire bras fit properly! It bothers me so much that I have been mostly wearing sports bras.
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Go into shop, try bras on :)

Getting "fitted" will get one brand of bra to fit you in a set size,better trying them on as all brands can vary slightly.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Reddit.com/r/abrathatfits can help
  • Retiredmom72
    Retiredmom72 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Brands and styles fit differently. You need to get refit in a lingerie department and then try on the bra. Materials can cause a bra not to fit or be as smooth under your clothing.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Just get measured.....

I've lost a lot of inches around my back but my bra size is still the same. Refitting when losing weight is really imperative or else you could be wearing the wrong size, risking discomfort or premature sagging due to lack of support..