What kind of Vitamins and Minerals do you take?

Options
2»

Replies

• Nidda_C
    Nidda_C Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't know where you read that but iron supplements and vitamin D pills are usually recommended by doctors for people who are severely lacking them, and cannot get them all just through food.

Also, the few fat loss, muscle gain books I have read support omega-3's as a must use supplement especially for people who mostly do cardiovascular exercises but not much muscle building.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    None.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Multi-vitamin
    Whey Protein Isolate - after lifting heavy weights

I get the rest of my nutritional needs from food. Yum!
  • Scott15Fit
    Options
    I don't take any as the one I bought had vitamin A in it and when I checked my diet I already had more than enough, I don't want to waste more money and just try to balance levels through food, although I struggle getting enough iron.

I've read almost everywhere that most vitamins and supplements don't result in any medical advantage though, although they obviously do no harm, confusing!

Actually they can do harm:

"Too much vitamin A, D, or K can lead to increased levels that are unhealthy and can cause health consequences," says Frechman. She adds that too much vitamin A can lead to birth defects, and too high levels of vitamin E may increase the risk of hemorrhaging. Excess vitamin K can lessen or reverse the effect of blood thinner medicines and prevent normal blood clotting.

Vitamin D has been one of the more controversial vitamins. Even though it is a fat-soluble vitamin, it appears to be tolerated in the body at higher levels. As of 2010, the Institute of Medicine recommends a daily allowance of 600 international units (IU) of vitamin D for everyone ages 1 to 70, with an upper limit of 4,000 IU for those ages 9 and older.

Ref: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/nutrition-vitamins-11/fat-water-nutrient?page=2

Addition:
    Symptoms of vitamin A toxicity include dry, itchy skin, headache, nausea, and loss of appetite. Signs of severe overuse over a short period of time include dizziness, blurred vision and slowed growth. Vitamin A toxicity also can cause severe birth defects and may increase the risk for hip fractures.
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09315.html
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Multivitamin daily
    Probiotics daily
    Vit D and K
    sometimes magnesium
    l-glutamine
    some various naturopathic things for more specific issues I have
  • MrsBikiniBound
    Options
    Daily multivitamin. B12 supplement (injections) B12 supplement (pill) Probiotics.
  • softballerchik1
    softballerchik1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Daily multivitamin with folic acid, Biotin, and Evening Primrose Oil.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I don't take any as the one I bought had vitamin A in it and when I checked my diet I already had more than enough, I don't want to waste more money and just try to balance levels through food, although I struggle getting enough iron.

I've read almost everywhere that most vitamins and supplements don't result in any medical advantage though, although they obviously do no harm, confusing!

Actually they can do harm:

"Too much vitamin A, D, or K can lead to increased levels that are unhealthy and can cause health consequences," says Frechman. She adds that too much vitamin A can lead to birth defects, and too high levels of vitamin E may increase the risk of hemorrhaging. Excess vitamin K can lessen or reverse the effect of blood thinner medicines and prevent normal blood clotting.

Vitamin D has been one of the more controversial vitamins. Even though it is a fat-soluble vitamin, it appears to be tolerated in the body at higher levels. As of 2010, the Institute of Medicine recommends a daily allowance of 600 international units (IU) of vitamin D for everyone ages 1 to 70, with an upper limit of 4,000 IU for those ages 9 and older.

Ref: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/nutrition-vitamins-11/fat-water-nutrient?page=2

Addition:
    Symptoms of vitamin A toxicity include dry, itchy skin, headache, nausea, and loss of appetite. Signs of severe overuse over a short period of time include dizziness, blurred vision and slowed growth. Vitamin A toxicity also can cause severe birth defects and may increase the risk for hip fractures.
    http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/foodnut/09315.html

As someone who was on Lovenox and Warfarin during and 6 weeks post partum to pregnancy Vitamin K is NOT detrimental to the medicine. It's the CONSISTANCY in which you eat, take it. Trust me, I know, I have two bloodclotting disorders and work with a hemotologist. I also take 5,000 IUs vitamin D because Oregon has like zero sun, also docto recommended. As with vitamin A my OBGYN and Meternal Fetal Medicine said you'd have to take MASS quantities of the vitamin to produce any ill effects to an unborn child.
  • dontwishforit_workforit
    Options
    Vit D3, 4000 UI [per doctor!]

Used to take a multi-vitamin but it's been a while.. I am bad with regimens like that.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    You might discuss that with your healthcare provider.. I went today and discussed with her about suppliments i should take.. i take a prenatal vitamin, Fish oil, a multi vitamin, and a vitamin b complex.

Disagree.

I "discussed" the supplements I take with my old doctor and he spewed some really old and inaccurate information about what I was taking

OP: Your best bet would be to get blood work done and address your vitamin needs that way. I get mine done every year and address my needs. I take a lot of vitamins for different things in the body. Contrary to popular belief you can't get all of your vital nutrients through food alone.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D has been one of the more controversial vitamins. Even though it is a fat-soluble vitamin, it appears to be tolerated in the body at higher levels. As of 2010, the Institute of Medicine recommends a daily allowance of 600 international units (IU) of vitamin D for everyone ages 1 to 70, with an upper limit of 4,000 IU for those ages 9 and older

Really? I take 7000 IU's of vitamin D daily and have never had an issue. Vitamin D is vital to your health. It has so many benefits and it has been proven that taking it has all sorts of benefits for the prevention of a plethora of diseases. It is especially important if you live in the Northern US where there's at least 8 months of limited sun exposure.

The RDA for doses is so pitifully low and the "information" that the FDA spews is inaccurate and aimed at trying to make all vitamins available via prescription. Why do you think their studies are flawed and they keep pushing the "dangers" of taking supplements? I guarantee that if you were to do more searches you will find all sorts of articles contradicting one another.

Again, this is why you need to get your blood work done.

Way to put the fear into people!
  • foot1647
    foot1647 Posts: 92
    Options
    Daily:
    Alive! Whole Food Energizer - Without Added iron
    500mg Green Tea Extract

Occasionally, well more so rarely - True Organics 500mg Cranberry Pills