WHY is soda so addicting? Has anyone figured it out?

Options

Replies

• andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    SUGAR IS just as ADDICTIVE as any drug that is ILLEGAL, so it's not just soda you can be addicted to its anything with SUGAR! Sugar really is a toxic to our systems.
    Don't even get me started on diet soda.
    No.
  • eagleabel33
    Options
    Coke used to be made with actual cocaine, and we are all now crack babies.
  • patrnbabe
    patrnbabe Posts: 42
    Options
    Caffeine is addictive. Not nearly as addictive as heroine though ;P It has a similar neurological effect on the brain as someone else pointed out about sugar.
    Sugar cravings are partly emotional / neuroligical, but imho, mostly blood sugar highs & crashes.
    Keeping your blood sugar level will go a long way to kicking a sugar habit.
    Good luck with the caffeine part. I'm still working on that one myself.
    I manage to ease myself off .... almost, then something stresses me out, or my schedule gets overloaded and I slip back into back habits. For a while I was "watering down" the fully caffeinated Diet Coke with caffeine free, and trying to space out the time between a soda. I'm down to only one in the am, and one with lunch. Gotta kick the one with lunch soon, but then I'm tempted to eat sugar as a boost instead...choices choices.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    SUGAR IS just as ADDICTIVE as any drug that is ILLEGAL, so it's not just soda you can be addicted to its anything with SUGAR! Sugar really is a toxic to our systems.

NO...please. Start.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options

Really really big glass. Pour a few bottles into one glass then you can say you only had one.

sounds like how i used to drink alcohol before i got sober
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    the sugar?
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It has caffeine (which is a drug and has addictive qualities)
    And sugar. (which always makes you want more sugar. It's the way our bodies are built to survive)

Not to mention the carbonation, you don't really get that anywhere else. That's what usually gets me to take a drink. I want the fizzies :B
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    For me, saying sugar is addictive is a cop-out and an excuse to not use self control.

I crave sugar sometimes. I either feed that craving or move past it. I also crave brussel sprouts sometimes - are they addictive too?

Using food to control your emotions or to comfort yourself is a real thing and something many of us have to overcome. I think people wrongly label this as food addiction. Yes, people use food for the wrong reasons but I don't believe food is addicting in the same way drugs or nicotine are. Has anyone here ever sucked **** for a chocolate bar?
  • ValleyNikki
    Options
    I used to SO addicted to soda . I would drink Code Red first thing when i woke up and then thru out the day . I went thru a ton of soda . What i found myself craving was the carbonation . But eventually i just made myself stop drinking it . First i just stopped having it first thing in the morning , then i would have it once a wl , before i knew it i rarely craved it . So i would have it like once i month . Now i find it repulsive usually . At first when i stopped drinking it , i got hella bad headaches & would be in a *****y mood lol . But now i prefer water or water with crystal light .
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Sugar triggers dopamine release in the brain. Dopamine creates a sense of euphoria and is usually linked to rewarding behavior. Your brain wants more of the euphoria reward. Cocaine is another chemical that acts on the brain's dopamine system and creates the same sort of euphoria reward addiction cycle.

yay psychology
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Don't get me started on those energy drinks...

Glad I've kicked that habit
  • Admiral_Derp
    Admiral_Derp Posts: 866 Member
    Options

So true. I was hooked on fruits and vegetables really bad this one time. I had a 5 to 13 servings-a-day habit. It was hell. smh
    And don't even get me started on the BREADS!
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It has to be something more than just the sugar and caffine. I stopped drinking diet soda in October 2012 and I never drank regular (full sugar) soda before that. So I know it is not just the sugar and as I will still have a cup of tea occasionally I am having caffine so I know that can't be the only source of the cravings. I was on a plane yesterday and when the flight attendant popped the cans to pour soda for the other passangers my mouth literally watered and its been over 6 months since I have had a single soda....

WHATS UP WITH THAT!
  • marypatmccue
    marypatmccue Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    :wink:

So true. I was hooked on fruits and vegetables really bad this one time. I had a 5 to 13 servings-a-day habit. It was hell. smh

I bet you were pretty regular then, though....
    :wink:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Just for fun... ?
    What's wrong with diet soda.....?!

She said not to get her started. WHY ARE YOU SUCH A BULLY?
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    We are hot wired to want the things that were not readily available a hundred years ago or more.
    Those things include fat, salt, and sugar. None of these things were easy to get until "modern times" so our bodies want it whenever we can get it.

Lets also consider the extensive marketing behind sugar, fat (fast food) etc.

Now that they are easy to get we need to use our willpower to say "no". (we all know how hard to do that is)
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Addicting

tumblr_lroen5OC4z1qhgr6oo1_400_zps0218004f.gif

Part of me wants to applaud this, but we all do know what 'addicting' means in this context. It's just that we lack a proper word for a substance we crave to the point of being cranky for but not to the point of possibly prostituting ourselves for (probably, anyway).
  • lkplibra
    lkplibra Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Has anyone here ever sucked **** for a chocolate bar?

Does Valentine's Day count?