Kettlebells - any users?

Options
Just bought myself some kettlebells and wondered if anybody out there used them. I've heard good things about them so thought they'd be worth a go for days i can't get to the gym.

Feel free to add me, new friends always welcome!

Rob

Replies

• cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I got a set two weeks ago, absolutely love them.
  • kekpron
    kekpron Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    My trainer has me mix them in on occassion and I like them alot. I have only done pretty basic movement type exercsies with them (Axe swings, around the body, figure 8s through the legs etc) but what I have done gives a good burn. My only complaint is that they (at least the ones at my gym) get pretty slick to hold onto when the sweat starts to pour.

Over all though, I feel them across a wider range of muscles than I do standard weights which I like a lot and they seem particularly good for your core.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Kettlbells are awesome!!
  • mryak750
    mryak750 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    they're great...."the Snatch' is my favorite exercise
  • laurenmanderson1
    laurenmanderson1 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Kettlebells are really a GREAT workout tool, but make sure to get some instruction first! Get a DVD or look up some videos because you don't want to hurt yourself or use the wrong form. I did hard-style kettlebell classes at my old gym and it really helped tone my body, but the techniques can be a bit tricky. Hope this helps!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I use and love them. You can feel the burn for hours afterwards. I have two DVDs by Paul Katami. What love about him is that the sections are broken down into 30, 60 and 90 sections intervals. He is very clear, you have the drills sections to practice before, and then move onto the actual workout and a section for abs only. Love the Russian twist, that really works the abs.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I'm a runner, but I try to do kettlebells 2-3 times per week for strength training. I like that I can do it at home whenever I want. I do different types of deadlifts, squats, single and double swings, cleans, snatches, overhead presses, windmills, Turkish getups, etc, etc. When I started last year I had one 15 lb kettlebell, but now use 2 25 lb kettlebells. I probably should get a heavier one for some single bell swings, etc. I have slacked off recently while training for a half marathon, but am trying to get back in the habit, because it is so effective at building strength and tightening everything up!

Just make sure you find a good source of learning the moves very carefully. I have tweaked my back before using improper form, and am much more careful now!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    TGU's and snatches are amazingly hardcore. They can be good for basic introductory strength training, or as a conditioning tool for a more experienced athelete.
  • natalie412
    Options
    TGU's and snatches are amazingly hardcore. They can be good for basic introductory strength training, or as a conditioning tool for a more experienced athelete.

Snatches were the hardest to learn - had to go back to my 15 lb until I finally got the technique down. Definitely can't do double snatches yet with my 25s- that is a lot of weight and momentum up high all at once, but one at a time, no problem!
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    TBH I don't like the double snatch at all. If you're going to do something of that sort, IMO get a barbell. ;)
  • natalie412
    Options
    I've thought about Stronglifts 5x5, but heavy lifting and running 30 miles a week aren't very mutually conducive! And I love running..so kettlebells it is for me for now.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Yep, I use em.. love em!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Kettleballs are pretty fun. The gym parking lot me and my friend have a quick warm up with a 25lb sitting in the trunk =)
  • Kain_bonneau
    Options
    Love the kettlebells. Got a set of 3 and 5 lb from some rewards i had built up.. I am into everything athletic and thought itd be easy. Great workout. i have the kathy smith dvd. I suggest softer surface to do it on to take some of the impact considering you are on feet or ground the enitire time. Def great for toning.. Anyone know how to log kettlebells into myfitnesspal.. i am using strength training under the cardio section for now. Happy belling everyone
    Kain
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I use them 5 days per week, in addition to barbell training. They have replaced traditional cardio for me and have made me pretty freaking strong for a chick.

There is a group on here for kettlebell users if you're interested: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/129-enter-the-kettlebell
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I use them about twice a week. The swings alone feels like a whole body workout. I'm not a huge fan of the exercises that have the Kettlebell resting on my wrists (mine was kind of weak), but I'm getting use to it, especially with wrist guards.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I use them about twice a week. The swings alone feels like a whole body workout. I'm not a huge fan of the exercises that have the Kettlebell resting on my wrists (mine was kind of weak), but I'm getting use to it, especially with wrist guards.

This is an issue for me, too, with anything heavier than 16 kg. I have very small wrists, so when I do Turkish get-ups, for example, with a 20 kg or 24 kg, it puts a lot of strain on my wrist if I don't wear a band or brace of some kind. My body can handle the weight fine, but in a lift like that, if you can't keep your wrist straight because of the pressure the bell places on the outside of it, it's hard to maintain form.
  • stiggy64
    stiggy64 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback all, they should be arriving tomorrow or Tuesday so will see how I get on. I'll probably book a personal training session as my gym first to get some pointers before stepping out on my own.

Cheers all!
  • Chris99mu
    Chris99mu Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Fo shiz.
  • VorJoshigan
    VorJoshigan Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Aye. For a year now. I find most exercises boring, & for some reason kettlebells keep my interest.