Should I workout a week straight?

Options
Ok in the past I have over worked myself. I was working out 5-6 days a week for almost 2 hrs each time. Since then I've cut back to 4 days a week, doing 2 days weights and 2 days cardio an hour each time. I'm starting to see results again from doing this. I have an up comming minor surgery that will put me out of the exercise scene for 2-3 weeks. I'm wondering if I should exercise more since I already know this? I'm thinking about going everyday untill the appointment date. Keep in mind I only have 7 or 8 pounds to lose to be at my goal of 120. I don't want to lose my muscle shape and what I've worked so hard for in those few weeks out. Any advice?

Replies

• mzmoonlight
    mzmoonlight Posts: 160
    Options
    Personally, I wouldnt overdo it. Its hard when you enjoy exercise so much I know (I too have been overtraining and been forced to cut back) but you will only damage your immune system by overtraining and if you are going to have surgery you need to be as strong as possible for that. I would just do 3x a week for an hour each time then pick up again as soon as you can after the surgery. Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • dinosgirl
    dinosgirl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    You might be fine if you keep that sixth and/or seventh day to a lighter workout such as light stretching or gentle yoga. Both will benefit your body without overexerting it.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I think you should be fine as long as you're not overly sore or exhausted. I work out 6x per week and sometimes take 2 rest days - but only if I know I don't need to burn the extra calories. This last week I skipped Friday like I normally do and then skipped yesterday because I was still real sore from my hard work outs Sunday-Thursday of last week. I could work out happily 7 days per week but I choose to rest just for the sake of sanity.

It's really up to you...if you feel 100% and like you can make it without passing out, go for it.
  • jmb1510
    jmb1510 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Your body needs to be completely rested before the surgery. It can't both repair what you did for excercise and heal itself. If you are going to excerice, I agree with dinosgirl that it needs to be light, just something to get the heart rate up, not something that requires a lot for the body to recover from.
  • kimberlymejia
    Options
    I am sure you are nervous about what is going to happen to your body during your off time, I couldn't imagine, especially after all the work you have put in to it. But from how I have been told by trainers and such, your body needs rest. You don't want to overdo it and end up hurting yourself that may put you out more than 2-3 weeks. I overdid it last year and ended up with a stress fracture in my foot and wasn't able to run for almost 8 weeks!