What am I doing wrong? Is it the booze?

Options
Hello, this is my very first post. I am 5 foot 8 inches, 171 pounds and a 33 year old female. I work as a career counselor so I am mostly at my desk, but I get out in the community so often. I was at a healthy weight but I had knee surgery and then got a boyfriend and experienced these past holidays and my weight SKYROCKETED! I gained 30 pounds over the course of a year, but the bulk was gained over this winter. I recently have been watching what I eat a lot more. I started a high protein diet in January of 100 grams of protein, 1600 calories, 25 fiber and 35 fat and I didn't lose anything. I actually may have gained, but I wasn't exercising, so I dropped it to 1200 calories in February. I still wasn't losing. The whole time I had been drinking on the weekends, and not just one or two, I have at least 12 beers and a couple shots. Now, the past two to three weeks I have reduced my diet to 1200 calories but I am working out 5 days a week. I have a heart rate monitor/calorie counter and I make sure I am burning at least 500 calories before I leave. I lift weights, play racquetball and run, sometimes all 3, sometimes just one of them and sometimes 2. I am still boozing it up on the weekends, but I am now just doing it on Saturday. I also tend to eat badly the day after drinking, but I have refrained from that. I still cheat a bit, but not horribly, and one day of falling a little off the wagon after eating like the Virgin Mary all week should be alright, correct? I AM NOT LOSING ANY WEIGHT WHATSOEVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess it's the booze, but in the past I have lost weight before from being on a liquid diet and eating a bad meal, but just once a day. Anybody have any advice? Am I eating too little? What can I do? Any help or suggestions are appreciated, even if they are "Put down the booze," because that is still encouraging. PLEASE HELP! Being uncomfortable with my weight is so uncomfortable!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you!!!!!

Replies

• CristinaL1983
    CristinaL1983 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    So the first question would be if you are weighing everything you eat. Also, are you logging the booze?

If you are drinking a lower calorie beer, at 12 plus two shots (assuming straight liquor with no mixers) you are easily consuming an extra 2500 calories a week. If you are drinking craft beers and mixed shots, the calories could easily be over 7000. Some craft beers have in the neighborhood of 650 calories a pint. Mixed shots often have loads of sugar and calories. That could definitely undo all of your hard work throughout the week.

Alcohol also has a double whammy effect when it comes to weight loss because your body basically stops everything else while your liver processes out the "toxin" alcohol.

Having just increased your exercise (drastically) you could also be seeing water retention which your body uses to repair muscles. After starting a new exercise regime, it can take 4-6 weeks to see weight loss.

You might be better off putting your calories back up to 1600 calories but 'saving' the majority of them for the weekend and making sure you weigh/accurately log everything including booze (maybe pre-log). You might find that it fits better into your lifestyle.
  • coeyd79
    coeyd79 Posts: 19
    Options
    I log everything I eat during the week but no so much on the weekends (especially booze), but I am mindful. I drink miller lite and straight up shots with no mixers. So, basically every time I drink, it's the equivalent of roughly 3 Big Macs???? Also, if I'm eating 1200 calories during the week, wouldn't that save 2,000 (-400 cals x 5 days a week) for booze on Saturday? I'm hoping its going to start coming off (as you said might be the case) and I'm not giving up!!! Thanks for your reply, and I'm gonna keep it up!!!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    so you're drinking heavily, eating crappy after a night of drinking and wondering why you aren't losing weight? yes, i'd say it's the booze.
  • coeyd79
    Options
    MEOW!!!! Just didn't think booze had that much of an impact on, as food would, considering I've lost in the past while drinking! And I'm not eating that badly the next day, i'm probably eating my maintenance calories. And again, seems I save 2000 calories during the week, thought I could spend them on booze. Sorry for asking!!!!!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

I guess it's the booze, but in the past I have lost weight before from being on a liquid diet and eating a bad meal, but just once a day. Anybody have any advice? Am I eating too little? What can I do? Any help or suggestions are appreciated, even if they are "Put down the booze," because that is still encouraging. PLEASE HELP! Being uncomfortable with my weight is so uncomfortable!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you!!!!!

You say that "in the past I have lost weight"...sorry, you're in your 30s now, you can't get away with the drinking man's diet.

Have a club soda before each Lite and skip the shots -- they're 100-125 calories each. If you can't have fun on half the beer and no shots, you may have an issue that requires 12 Steps.
  • coeyd79
    Options
    Yeah, I can try that. I am in my 30's now, so that doesn't help I guess. Ha, no problem, just hard working and I like to blow off a little steam!!! Thanks for the advice!
  • Melo1966
    Melo1966 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    So 5 days a week you under eat with added exercise, which slows your metabolism.
    Then you over drink 14 or more drinks in one night?
    When your body gets the extra calories it just holds onto it because it does not know how to process it.

Eat more during the week and just have a few on Saturday. Try drinking flavored water and 1/4 of the beer.
    My friends on here know I drink so I am not putting alcohol down.
    You need to be more responsible and if you are unable to control it then maybe you should not drink at all.
    I am losing because I keep it within my calories and keep good daily macros.
    So I say it is NOT the booze.

Edited to say: It is NOT age either. I am 46 and menopausal. You need to eat better.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The whole time I had been drinking on the weekends, and not just one or two, I have at least 12 beers and a couple shots.

Yes, the booze would be the first place that you could cut out a massive number of calories. Try it and see what happens. You can do it.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, booze or food. Alcohol isn't a magic fat-adding substance. If you are faithfully and accurately logging everything, booze will not be your problem. I drink every day and I've lost 84lbs doing it.

I would recommend not cutting your calories down so low. Maybe eat your 1600 and add in exercise 3-5 days a week on the weekend? Then use those 3-5 days of exercise calories "earned" to give yourself your alcoholic treat? That's what I do and it works just fine.
  • stephanj
    stephanj Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I think because you asked this question, you know the answer already, yes it's the booze. When you drink alcohol, your body burns it for fuel preferentially, so anything you eat while drinking alcohol automatically stores as fat. Seriously. You can still drink a bit but how about finding creative lower calorie options, like 1oz vodka with diet coke? Just a thought, I loves me some wine so I sympathize.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/280263-alcohol-fat-burning/
  • napkinpoem
    Options
    Yeah, alcohol is a killer. 200 calories in one bottle of Angry Orchard.
  • lobo_a_gogo
    lobo_a_gogo Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue: about a year ago I was logging all my food calories, but didn't log liquids cause I generally drank diet coke and lots of water, some green tea, but didn't think about back then I was drinking most days (a glass or two of wine/mixed on weekdays, getting a little to a lot drink one or two nights/week). I wasn't losing at all. So starting in the summer I began logging everything and "saving up" calories that I planned on drinking back, both in food and in workouts. I also cut the drinks to ONLY one or two nights/week, and made sure I logged all of them (if you have a smart phone, make sure you're logging at the bar). Beyond that, I began making sure that I a) generally wouldn't have so much (if you have a calorie limit, you have a drink limit) that I would have a carb-hungry hangover the next day (of course I've had one or two days that this hasn't worked out for) b) made sure I don't eat when I'm drinking. If you're getting a little drunk and think you need food to sober up, drink lots of water instead. A lot of calories are drunkenly consumed because you think it will make you feel better, and like other people mentioned when you eat while drinking booze, your body won't burn anything until the alcohol is gone.

Beyond that, I generally stick to rum & diet coke, I measure out 1 oz (generally 65 calories), and if I'm having something more "for the taste" like wine or beer, I do it on a night I don't plan on getting a little silly and save the calories for one or two.

I lost 30 lbs over the summer doing that, and I've kept it off, lost about another 5 lbs since September, which is not nearly as much as I'd like, but I've definitely lost lots of inches. Also, I'm 27. We're not as young as we used to be, we shouldn't be drinking like we're in college on the reg. I try and relax by exercising (particularly fun stuff in the warm weather like biking and swimming) or treating myself in one way or another every now and then (tanning w/ relaxation hypnotism-esque tape, indoor water park weekend with my hubs, etc) so that I don't get in the mind set that the only way to relax is to drink.
  • MonicaT1972
    MonicaT1972 Posts: 512
    Options
    It sure is...do some research on what the body does with booze when it processes it and you will have your "ah-ha" moment.

My husband quit drinking to see if it would make a difference for him and bam...the weight started melting again.

If your goal is to lose you might have to change your weekend hobbies :)
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Lol.......Ow Dear Lord.....
    REALLY LADY!!

I could refer you to AA, if you'd like!
  • labud1
    labud1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    IF YOUR SERIOUS ABOUT LOOSING WEIGHT STOP DRINKING FOR AWHILE AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS ...I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEMO...
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I drink you have a thinking problem.
  • healthyplocc
    healthyplocc Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya there. I am not giving it up. I am hoping that after calorie counting my stomach will shrink so I won't be hungry all time, and will allow the calories for martini's:laugh: :laugh:
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have lost 81 pounds. I think that qualifies me to speak up but certainly not as an expert. I drink moderately. sometimes too much on the weekends. Sometimes not at all. I do a LOT of cardio and have just started squats and tiny little 2 lb weights. I also eat a LOT. My body wants FOOD so I can do all that exercise and I have to exercise to eat all that food. I doubt it's the drinking as an isolated factor. Off the top of my head, I'd guess you are consuming too few calories for the level of activity. And of the calories you ARE getting, it sounds like too many of them are booze not fuel. Try cutting back on the alcohol and adding some real food. Keep exercising but make sure your body has enough fuel to keep up the level of activity you are asking it to do. And, alcohol, vegetables, twinkies or whatever-make sure you are sticking pretty close to your macros.

I am willing to be it will work wonders.

ETA-I am 51, female, hormonally challenged, and should be complaining all the time about not being able to lose weight....UMMM...NOT!!!! Age has made no difference to me. Fixing my food and exercise HAS.
  • cleback
    cleback Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Agree with the other posters. Cut down. Booze has a lot of calories in and of itself and slows your metabolism. Another poster also mentioned that a restrictive diet the other days of the week can encourage your body to hold onto the extra calories.

Good luck!
  • coeyd79
    Options
    Thanks for all of the "non-judgmental" advice! I have don massive amounts of research, but I guess I just didn't believe it because I've drank in the past and lost weight. The food I eat during the week is very healthy!!! I have oatmeal for breakfast, maybe 60 cal yogurt for a snack, veggie burger and raw veggies for lunch and another raw veggie with hummus snack before I leave work, and then get home, have a 50 cal string cheese, go to the gym and have fish and veggies (or similar) for dinner. I'm also not eating when I drink, EVER! We don't go to bars. We stay home or go to a friends and hang out, no food involved! I agree I'm eating only 1200 calories, but good calories. I don't know how I could eat a whole lot more! I guess I did know the answer to the question, I just wanted answers from people that understand and also like to have drinks, because I am having a hard time believing that those 2,000 calories on a Saturday are hindering my weight loss after everything else I am doing correctly. Well, I guess the only way to prove it to myself is to do an experiment that consists of no drinking and see where that takes me! Thanks for all your advice, and to the people who also like to have drinks and understand where I'm coming from, let me know when you find the cure :-)
    Thanks again!!