Need tips on good walking shoes for large person

Options
I am having lots of foot and shin pain when doing walks. It's something I've had for a long time so it's not new but it is hampering my speed and endurance. Any good ideas on the best walking shoes/sneaks for a bigger person would be very helpful. I'm thinking I need to get better foot wear but not sure the best brand for large size. Thanks!

Replies

• cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I weighed in at 294 back in October and bought myself a really good pair of Nikes. It made a world of difference at the gym. I went to a specialized sneaker store in Media, PA called The Bryn Mawr Running Company. They actually took a look at my feet and how I walked and then recommended certain types of sneakers.
  • littlecompton
    Options
    I am actually within driving distance of Media so I appreciate the tip. Can I ask how expensive they were?
  • angelwing97
    Options
    There is so much more than size and style to a decent pair of shoes. I would suggest you go to a local store where they specialize in running stuff and ask them to do a free shoe analysis. They should put you on a treadmill attached to a computer and that will show them where your feet touch, the arches and the general underside of your foot. They should also watch you walk, barefoot. Finding the right shoe is amazing when you find it. My husband (who has flat feet) went through about 10 pairs before he found one he loves. It will make all the difference. Local "sneaker shops" are okay but they hire kids that don't have the experience or knowledge needed for a great and appropriate fit. Cost you ask...budget if you have to. NOTHING compares to a decent pair of sneakers, take it from someone who runs distance (26.2) Your legs, shins and feet will love you for it.~M
  • littlecompton
    Options
    Boy, I never even knew stores existed like that! I will have to try this because my feet have been killing me non-stop. Thanks!