Running - Race Anxiety

Options
I have asked a few runner friends of mine about this and nobody had any real answers soI thought I'd throw it out there to the forums.

When I run on my own for pleasure and exercise I am fine. But when I do races (despite the fact that my pace is NOT competitive) I suffer from terrible anxiety. I am a little anxious at first but, really, it's in the final 1/2 to 1/3 of the race that I start anticipating the finish and experience the anxiety. The anxiety will cause my heart rate to spike and makes it very difficult to push through and keep running. I often feel I have to slow to a walk in order to get my heart rate back to a comfortable level, thus affecting my performance and how I feel about my performance (I can't help but be disappointed in myself)l. I don't want to quit the races – I love the excitement and camaraderie, love that they give me goals and make me push myself. However, the anxiety doesn't seem to be alleviating with the more runs I enter.

Has anyone ever heard of this? And, more importantly, does anyone have any ideas what I can do about it?

Replies

• Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I often start out too fast due to excitement and adrenaline and slow down closer to the end, but I personally don't get anxious.

Do you listen to music - I find if I think about random stuff or get into a song, I don't focus as much on the running and finish line.
    Try to find a focal point - not the finish line - and concentrate on it. Don't let the crowds as you near the finish line get you. Perhaps it's a tree, the sky or just zone out on the ground a few feet ahead of you.

When I get anxious about other things in life, I need to find something else to make me zone out and refocus my attention/energies.

Hope it helps!