feet going numb?

Options
I just started C25K two weeks ago and while I'm running my right foot goes numb in the toes. I know I know, go get fitted for running shoes... I am on a very tight budget and cant. I have a pair of Nike frees and a pair of Nike alvalord. I use the frees to workout in and the others for hiking and such. Have any of you experienced this?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Laced too tight? That can cause that problem. Try loosening them - hope it's an easy fix!
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Check the lacing. If that isn't it then check your feet as they are hitting pavement. Do you run on the ball and toe area? That may be the case too.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Agree that your shoe is probably too tight--relacing might be all you need. The other thing people often don't think about is socks. Your feet swell when you run, so if you wear tight socks (and most athletic socks are pretty form-fitting), or even if you pull them on over your toes too tightly that can cause problems. I had some numbness early on, and ended up switching from medium to large socks.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I will try replacing them! I heard cotton socks are bad to run in? Dunno where I heard that or why its bad...?
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I will try replacing them! I heard cotton socks are bad to run in? Dunno where I heard that or why its bad...?
    Cotton socks are bad for running because they hold moisture and sag out of shape when they're damp. That can lead to serious blisters, at least for some people. I prefer thin socks that wick moisture away (my favorites are the triathlete socks from Wigwam). Other people like SmartWool, especially in the winter. You may have to try a few different kinds to see what works best for you.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Yep, loosen your laces. It should solve the problem. Or run barefoot.
  • Eatkansasbeef
    Eatkansasbeef Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I wonder if your shoes aren't too short. When i started c25k i was wearing a size smaller until i got fitted. This gives your feet the extra room needed when running and avoids black nails. Just a thought. Good luck, keep up the good work!
  • manda_panda0238
    manda_panda0238 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mine have done that everytime im on the elliptical or arc machine... my laces arent too tight and i have a good shoes... i always passee it off as a nerve somewhere... goodnluck. :
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a pair of shoes just doesn't work for you. My feet go numb on a particular elliptical trainer at the gym. Obviously, I don't use that machine. Also, you could try wearing thinner socks, like lightweight liner socks. Good luck. I hate spending money on athletic shoes that turn out to be uncomfortable.
  • Mozzie123
    Mozzie123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I used to have this problem. I even went to a podiatrist and bought a pair of $150 shoe inserts - to no avail.

I found that the 'cure' for me was to wear flat shoes during the day. If I wear heels, I walk with the ball of my foot hitting the ground first. So when I walk or run in training for any great length of time, my feet go numb after about 25 minutes.

I still do wear heels, but if I wear flats for several days in a row, I do not have a problem with numb feet when training.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Numb toes are just one of a multitude of issues I experienced when wearing shoes that weren't right for me. Could be that the laces are too tight or the socks are too thick or something, but seriously go get fitted for running shoes. If the shoes aren't going to work for you, it's not going to get better. Just more of your foot will go numb the longer you run. Try the laces, try the socks, but I'd really suggest finding a way to get fitted for shoes.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I relaced my shoes and that helped a little bit. I do wear heels during the day so that very well could be a part of it. And I also live in a very hilly neighborhood and I notice it does go numb when I'm running downhill.