Getting out of bed ideas?

NikkiDerrig386
NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I start my running schedule this week for a 5k in chicago. Now I am not a morning person and I have a hard time getting out of bed. My plan is to run 3 mornings (for the 5k) in addition to my workouts. Do any of you have any tricks that help you get out of bed for a workout in the AM? HELP!! :drinker:

Replies

• I used to put my alarm clock either in the bathroom or somewhere else in the room so I would have to get out of bed to turn it off! Made me very cranky but got me out of bed! Just dont give in to the temptation to go back!
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    I just started running in the morning (well, I went Friday and Sunday morning). I'd been putting it off for ages because I also hate getting out of bed in the morning, but I think once you've done it the first time and feel the benefits of the run and see how good you feel afterwards you'll be jumping out of bed! Trust me, you'll have much more energy and you will look forward to your runs. It's just doing it the first time that's the hard part.
    I'm planning on going again tomorrow morning and I can't wait!
    Good luck!
  • etarre
    etarre Posts: 147 Member
    I definitely had to go cold turkey on the snooze button! those things are waaay too addictive.

I also have one of those alarm clocks that lights up gradually, so you're a little wakeful by the time the alarm goes off,
    and it's easier to get up. They tend to be pretty pricey, though, and it really is just about getting into the habit of jumping right
    out of bed and not giving yourself the option to stay in bed.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    :laugh: Lol yea I could try that but I bet I would have no problem getting up to turn that sucker off and crawling back in bed...
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    I just get up, eat breakfast, get dressed, and go. Is morning the only time you can run? Could you maybe go at night instead?
  • NikkiDerrig386
    I just get up, eat breakfast, get dressed, and go. Is morning the only time you can run? Could you maybe go at night instead?

I am planning on doing my other stuff in the evening at the gym. If I switched it I would need to get up earlier to do my stuff. Since its only 25 mins I wanted to get it out of the way.
  • kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Sleep in your exercise clothes. And I personally try to drink enough water that I will need to potty at about 5am when I need to get up but not too much water so that I have to wake up in the middle of the night to potty.

Also try to go to bed earlier so that you are still getting 7-8 hours of sleep
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    My hubby sets the coffee maker at night (it has a grind feature on it) to go off at 7:10 am...with the noise from the grinder and the smell...he is up in no time.
    For me I need light...I'm okay during summer because it's light outside when I need to get up...during the winter my hubby has to either pull the covers off me or turn on the overhead light to get my butt moving.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Yay!! I got up this AM and did day 1 :) Thanx a lot to the boyfriend (helped with a wake up call)!!
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    Habit is 100% key. At first waking up at 7AM so I could do my workout was BRUTAL. I would lay in bed hitting the snooze for twenty minutes BUT I did eventually get out of bed around 7:30 and I'd get RIGHT into the workout (which can be good or bad depending). The key to getting out those first few weeks is just to push yourself. No excuses. The moment your eyes open, GET OUT OF BED.

These days my body wakes ME up at 7 everyday. Also, don't change your sleep schedule on your days off, it'll just make things harder for you! When your body has a routine keep that routine going!

To bed the same time everyday, awake the same time... it's the only way to go.
  • bebbjeb
    bebbjeb Posts: 134
    I have a question though - if you're getting up to exercise first thing in the morning - do you need to eat before exercising? how much time should you leave between eating and exercising?
    Or is it OK to go for a run on an empty stomach?
  • sniffles
    sniffles Posts: 295
    There's SO much varying opinion on this. I think it just depends on YOUR body.

I WAS running in the morning but discovered my body couldn't handle that so now I run at night. I CAN do strength training and light cardio in the morning on an empty stomach.

It's recommended you have something like a smoothie or quick protein a hour before working out but again there are other studies that say differently. Just try on an empty stomach and with food an hour before and see how you feel I guess!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Morning cardio/interval training is supposably one of the best ways to burn fat. Reasoning is that as your body has limitied fuel in it after using it up while you are asleep that it has to get its energy from fat stores.

I too am not a morning person. However, on the mornings that I do feel motivated to get up and do some exercise I do feel really good after that. This morning I just did some interval jump rope for 20mins and felt great afterwards. SO maybe if you can try and think ahead to how you will feel for the rest of the day that will help? Also, get your exercise clothes all laid out and good to go. I would feel guilty if I did that and then didn't get up and do anything :P
  • NikkiDerrig386
    I have a question though - if you're getting up to exercise first thing in the morning - do you need to eat before exercising? how much time should you leave between eating and exercising?
    Or is it OK to go for a run on an empty stomach?

Because it is only 25 - 30 mins. I didnt eat anything. I eat breakfast at work so I dont eat like crazy at my desk all day.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    There's SO much varying opinion on this. I think it just depends on YOUR body.

I WAS running in the morning but discovered my body couldn't handle that so now I run at night. I CAN do strength training and light cardio in the morning on an empty stomach.

It's recommended you have something like a smoothie or quick protein a hour before working out but again there are other studies that say differently. Just try on an empty stomach and with food an hour before and see how you feel I guess!

Yea it is soooo hard for my body to warm up in the morning. On a regular day it takes me like 2 hours to be fukky awake and thats with coffee. I said before this post. It is only for about 30 mins so I DIDNT EAT. I wasnt hungry at all either so thats good !
  • AmiKayser
    AmiKayser Posts: 32 Member
    I am so not an a.m. person either, but I do know that it is helpful for me if I get up at or around the same time everyday, even if it was a late night before, although I do try to get to bed around the same time as well. If I sleep in on a weekend day I without a doubt have trouble getting up and going the next day, so in the mornings that are horrible to get up I promise myself I can take a quick nap sometime during the day to "catch up"...often times I don't get it but it's a way for me to trick myself a bit :o) Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.