Potassium?

Options
2»

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Practically all food has potassium in it, it's completely a non-issue which is why it's not required to be listed on labels, which is why it's not listed on foods in the MFP user created database.

I'm assuming of course that you are relying on the information on the MFP database, and that is why you are concerned that you are not hitting the 3500mg target?

it's not a non-issue. if you eat a lot of processed foods you're less likely to be getting the amount you need. and the RDA is 4,700mg

You're so funny.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    Practically all food has potassium in it, it's completely a non-issue which is why it's not required to be listed on labels, which is why it's not listed on foods in the MFP user created database.

I'm assuming of course that you are relying on the information on the MFP database, and that is why you are concerned that you are not hitting the 3500mg target?

it's not a non-issue. if you eat a lot of processed foods you're less likely to be getting the amount you need. and the RDA is 4,700mg

You're so funny.

thanks. :flowerforyou:
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    Canned tomatoes are processed and have a whopping amount of potassium. Maybe make a stew/soup heavy on the tomatoes once in a while? Pizza would probably be a really good source of potassium.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Potatoes
  • healthycrone
    healthycrone Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi All,

Thanks for this discussion - it gave me lots of good information! In my quest to get enough potassium, I made two new dishes tonight and both were good.

The soup would be enough for a meal, very filling.

http://beta.abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipes/Lynne-Kasper-Moroccan-Harira-Red-Lentil-Soup.

And the turkey cutlets, with a baked potato, could also be a whole meal.
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/curried_turkey_cutlets_with_dried_apricots.html

Am feeling slightly stuffed, but well-nourished.

Oh and yesterday I made a great breakfast. Heat a little oil in a nonstick skillet over medium high heat.
    Take baked sweet potato (I microwaved mine the night before), and cut it into 1/2 inch rounds.
    peel a banana and cut in half lengthwise
    when the pan is warm put everything in, cut side down.
    Cover the pan and cook for two minutes, then uncover it and cook for 4-6 minutes longer, until things start getting brown.
    Put on a plate and garnish with two tablespoons roasted chopped pecans, and drizzle with a little maple syrup.

Yum! And good fuel for a morning workout.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    Basically if you're eating a decent amount of healthy foods and enough calories you are probably getting plenty.

Use nutritiondata.com if a value is not listed and you want an approximation (exact food you want may not be listed and you may have to guesstimate based on whatever similar food is in their database).
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Spinach and potato
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Be careful about potato skins. Some are very high in solanine (an alkali poison). It's not that dangerous, but some people have a sensitivity to it.
  • flex500
    flex500 Posts: 63
    Options

true but you really need to get bloodwork done. I'm nowhere near that amount per day and have higher levels of potassium. I'd really get levels checked and work with your doctor.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I am wondering, does anyone have suggestions on how to up my potassium with out a supplement?

Bananas are a tasty way to up the potassium. Have some avocado, bamboo shoots, and edamame (all loaded with potassium).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium#In_diet